• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

"Maxi Micra" project....by EBBdude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Project :
MAXI MICRA

This project is going to be a little cars adventure from being a tiny little shy duckling to a roaring hawk that sheds fear amongst its prey.
Ha Ha,,,,,doesn’t that sound weird ?

The Micra`s has made me more and more interested in what we can do with them and how they will perform after the stuff we did to them.

My “ Micro Micra “ project that you can read about here :
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/40020-EBBdude-s-Micro-Micra-project
is just a simple way of doing small and easy stuff to get things better.
That’s why its called “ Micro “ Micra.
Micro,,,,as in Micro = little,,,small , tiny modifications.

"MAXI MICRA" project will go beyond little,,,in a hopefully big way as the project goes along its wild rocky road.
This project will also look at some stuff regarding what one can try / do to get the car to handle and drive better,,,,a lot better and basically a h…..of a lot faster.

But enough talk , lets go straight to the start of this little adventure:

To quote the late Michal Jackson :

THIS IS IT :
tn_DSCF5857.JPG

Bought the car for almost nothing and it had a small dingy in the front

tn_DSCF5859.JPG

Has just passed 50 000 km and a lovely little commuter Micra is now in my possession.

This one is a 1,3 CG13de engined and 5 speed gear edition with power stearing.

tn_DSCF5862.JPG

This car was almost to good to pass on , regarding price , so I sold one of my other small Micras with a fair profit and will put some of that gold into this one.

First thing first , a good cleanup to have a closer look at what I had to start with
tn_DSCF5864_1.JPG

tn_DSCF5863.JPG

Then i found my hammer and some other tools and went ahead to fix the small front dingy
tn_DSCF5869.JPG

Came out quite nice if I may say so:
tn_DSCF5866.JPG

The engine bay looks quite nice after some washing and dirt removing and this is the place where a lot of weird stuff will happen in the future:
tn_DSCF5867.JPG

So there it is , ready for some love and tender care and some freaking wild ideas:
tn_DSCF5872.JPG

One red to go and one,,øhh green--øh Blue,,,whatever ( ? ) enters the arena .

The adventure has begun….

be keeping my eye on this thread...........................good luck with it.......

Great work EBB, i can't wait to see what tinkering you do to this beast xD!

Engine bay looking great too, awesome wash haha.

My first investigation of this project would be to get a starting point of the power level of a totally stock 1,3 engine that is in here :

tn_DSCF5867_1.JPG

So as I have a Dynapack test unit ill just mount it up:
tn_DSCF5876.JPG

Will show all changes in power level via this unit.
It is a fantastic piece of equipment to monitor and measure all details and a great diagnostic tool as well.

First thing is to put these adapters onto the hubs som that we can measure the cars performance:
tn_DSCF5873.JPG

These adaptors just slides into the Dynapacks measuring units which takes all data with incredible accuracy and repetabillity :
tn_DSCF5877.JPG

All data collected will then be shown here on this screen and you can view live date of all parameters and store , compare or do almost anything you like with them.
tn_DSCF5893.JPG

Here you will get real-time data a
- Hp
- Nm
- speed( km/t , hub rpm , Mph etc )
- Integrated weather / temp / pressure correction station
- 2 & 4 WD data
- Graphs for all you can possible need
- Everything can be measured , compared , printed , stored etc.

Will show you more of this stuff later on.

So , here we are with the first action shot from the first test “run “ :
tn_DSCF5879.JPG

SO GIVE IT A GO GUYS AT TODAYS QUIZ :

What aret he power output of this little beauty then as is ?

More to come...:)

good stuff mates !
Nice to se some guessing here for the first power numbers on the Maxi `s virgin runs :)

Will post some numbers later on today , hopefully...

Silly question but is it okay to jetwash the engine bay?
I've jetwashed hundreds without a drama.Once a Golf was reluctant to start again but left it to dry for a day & it was fine.I try to keep away from the electrics & the distributor..or put a bag around it.Spray a load of WD40 over everything after..
NB.The auto electrician said it's naughty but I'm still not driving around with a dirty engine ;)

thanks for looking in guys !

Im on a short holiday for the moment and will be back with more stuff soon :)

Ps ; you can jet--wash almost any micra as much as you like.
I have jet-washed several of them with full power on the jet-washer even as the car was running and no problemos at all.

Ill be back :)

Then the Maxi Micra is finished on the Dynapack for the first time.

tn_DSCF5875.JPG

Here is the result of the first test ;
tn_DSCF5907.JPG

51, 1 Hk v / 5370 rpm / (@ hubs )
79,4 Nm v / 2850 rpm (@flywheel )

Info :
The RED graph was with the stock oem 02 –unit which was not in too good shape.
Changed it to another good working used one and then we got the GREEN line as the result.

Only thing that was different than totally stock was that I took the resonator-tube off the air-box when I did the test and we gapped the spark plugs a little bit up:
tn_DSCF5897.JPG

tn_DSCF5902.JPG

If not anything else one can see the importance of a good working 02-unit.
The AFR was in the 15 ish range and that’s what they normally will be when all is stock…actually even higher sometimes.

Well , I am at the starting line and things can only get better.

More 2 come :)

I am going to show some more stuff on many things soon but I am just going to show you the crude method for removing the RPM limiter on the 1.3 liter engine just as i did on the ”Micro Micra ” project recently:
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/40020-EBBdude-s-Micro-Micra-project

With the Maxi Micra I am going to participate in a Autoslalom competition with the project in very soon future and don’t have time to put in my new adjustable ECU system before that so I do the rpm limit removal like this as I need more rpm available at the Autoslalom event.

T o do it you Just need a piece of tape to cover the dizzys internal disc and this I show to do that.

First you unscrew the dizzy cap :
tn_div%201364.jpg

Then unsrew the little bolt for the rotor itself and then the 2 small torx bolts that holdes the little black cover :
tn_div%201366.jpg

Looks like this inside when you are finished:
First thing you will notice s a disc with 4 long holes and one small suqare hole
tn_div%201367.jpg

This is all you need to do : cover the small hole with a piece of tape.
tn_tape.jpg

Make sure it sticks realy good.

Here is another view with a dizzy on the bench
tn_div%201362.jpg

And here in the Maxi Micras dizzy:
tn_DSCF6017.JPG

Humpey , dumpey , lumpey,,,,no more rpm limiter.

Here is a small DIY movie of how to do it and you can see the difference:
[video=youtube;YaCU5TLHi30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaCU5TLHi30[/video]

Before anyone starts running wild here with nonsense comments about this way of doing it :

I have driven all my 7 Micras in this way for many years now and never had a problem whatsoever !
Either as totally stock engine or in modified version.
The method doesnt give you more power , just add a little bit more rpms that you can play with and use effectively if you participate in Autoslaom or track events...

(Do not forget that this method gives you NO rpm limit at all and drive it as you please just keep in mind that you will solely be the one to limit the rpms with your own foot on the pedal :) )

Will be back with more soon(Y)

just found this log-file picture that i took as an example for the use of the rpm limiter :

tn_rpmlogg.jpg

It is a log from a track session where i did gear change in 2gear at about 7400 rpms + and that is realy useful at some particular spots on that track.
( sorry about the un-english text in my picture but you get the picture :) )

EBB, I admire your knowledge and passion!
Fantastic work you're doing here (Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)

I wonder what would happen if I do that to my automatic gears 99' March? Is it only for manual gear' cars?

@peposhi
Thank you for kind words :)

Your question is good ; does it work on a automatic car as well ?,,,hm,,,never tried that.
Have driven several of the auto cars and they rev quite freely as well. Not too many people over here interested in doing anything at all on the automatic cars.
Maybee the auto-gearbox will have a word to say in how it "allows" the rpms to even get up to that range ?
A friends girlfriend has got a auto car , maybe i should do some research on that sometimes in the future...

A car and a project is not just all engine.

My project will contain many different changes from a lame & tame grandmobile to a roaring ,,øh ,,,monster ?

My chassi will also go through some stuff as i like to participate in events like Autoslalom and track driving with my cars. No point in building if you don’t drive them.

Before i get into the serious mode of things ill just throw in some dirty tricks to transform even the dullest little car to a real handler on the tarmac.

Now that the rpm limiter is gone its time for some more grip.

MRK ; the modifications i am about to show here is only done on my own vehicle for track & events purposes,,,NOT for ordinary road use !!!

My first very simple and “low down “ trick is this:

tn_DSCF5984.JPG

Some grinder action on the OEM springs to get a lower car , lower centre of gravity sort of speak and some better handling.
tn_DSCF6019.JPG

Looks rather cool also I think after that
tn_DSCF5985.JPG

Simple and easy but does it help at all ?
Oki , here is the first ever track attempt with the Maxi Micra project in this state so judge for yourselves :
[video=youtube;5vai9vAlkLY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vai9vAlkLY[/video]

Next step in my DIY & no-budget “handling-package “ will create some headache for some readers but fair not , it will show results that can be used with great success.

Needless to say,,,,,more to come.

you are obviously a good racer mate, how much experience have you had? is that a bit of over-steer at 1:25? well controlled.

Wow, thats ace (Y) Both your threads are very interesting and will be checking them often :grinning:

Greetings,
Alex

thanks for coments guys :)

The Micra is a real underdog when it comes to being a car that will behave realy good with just smaller mods done to it.

Cars with both more power and better handling set ups will more than likely surprised to see a Micra passing by :)

Track days events are perfect for Micras and for the events that i like best ; Autoslalom , they are a real contender and hartbreaker.

That is why i like these small b.....ers.

Great Alexzaki.
Autoslalom is an excellent way to improve both your driving skills and at the same time develop your car.

Keep looking at this thread and i will hopefully show some more stuff that you can do to your car to improve it.

Also keep the videos coming on your progress as that is great inspiration for others :)

Oki , i have showed you the first step of transforming my Micra from a rather dull grandmobile into a little bit better using just chopped springs and a removal of a rev limeter.

Now I am going to show you some more stuff on how to transform your Micra to something different.

This is going to be another DIY , the cheepo way , just to show that it works.
I have donet his to many of my vehicles earlier with great success.

NOTE ; what i show here is things that i ONLY do to my own cars for usage on tracks & events.
NOT FOR ROAD USE ! (Beware what you do and you better know what you are doing if you take this out on the street. )

First a quick stop at the local store for some of this :
tn_SP_A0475.jpg

Some eye-bolts , flat pieces of iron with holes and some “ strappers ) ribbons and some spacers.

Wtf will probably many think now ?
Yepp , i do understand the question mark…. Ha ha ha
Here we go with more perculiar stuff .

Everyone who has ridden a stock Micra knows that it behaves like a pregnant whale if you want to drive realy quick and precise.

I need a very fast reacting car when I go Autoslalom and want a quick way to set up my car from street to Autoslalom / track events.
Preferably something that i can put on and take of within reasonable time and at the same time give me some good results

Is that possible by simple means ?
YES IT IS !

So , in the rear of the chassi I will do that like this :

First I find 2 of these eye-bolts and some washers
tn_DSCF5989.JPG

Then I drill some holes in the trunk floor where I want them:
tn_DSCF5990.JPG

Install the bolts at the spot I have selected :
tn_DSCF5991.JPG

Bolt them realy hard down:
tn_DSCF5992.JPG

Then it is just a matter of rigging the ”strappers ” ribbons:
tn_DSCF5993.JPG

It is important that they have some strength and quality in the locking mecanism so they don’t glip under usage.

So whats the point of this then ?
Create a total , precise and predictable body-roll control and voila the pregnant whale experience is gone…

Here is how it looks when it is installed .
tn_SP_A0486.jpg

I now control how much the upper control arm in the rear suspension is allowed to move and how it moves.
Why ?
Because thats how i want it....

With the chopped springs I also can preload the set-up as much as I need it.
NOTE ; NOT FOR STREET USE !

Well , that was in the rear , what can i do to the front then ?

I want to do it cheap , easy / adjustable and removable , so enough said , here is how i do it :

Mount one of these up at the top of the front strut
tn_DSCF6007.JPG

This little piece of flat iron with a hole in it is welded to the strut-leg and a U-shacle is assembled ontp it and the ribbon through it :
tn_SP_A0492.jpg

Wrap it 2 times up/down and tape the surplus end of strapper onto the strut-leg.

Install some spacers and some sticky DOT marked tyres that i got second hand one for a fair price + some Vauxhall rims I had laying around in a corner here
tn_DSCF6364.JPG

So here it is , ready to rocken roll :
tn_DSCF6020.JPG

A bit lower , extremely more controllable and even more predictable pluss more grip to the tarmac.

AND i can remove it all within an hours work to use the car in regular street driving !

Just my way of doing it….

Does it work ?

See for yourselves here in this litle video of my absoluetly first Autoslalom event with the Maxi Micra :
[video=youtube;Bk8US7Ozv64]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk8US7Ozv64[/video]

So wadda ju thinks guys ?

Fair play mate, well done!!! Awesome driving, so would shorter dampers and springs designed to be lower give the same effect?

I know you said track use only I don't know whether m.o.t man would pass?

Nice one with those strappers, do you have more pics about them?

BTW, how many rpms do you make on the 1.3? Im doing 7600rpm with no problems until now...

Thanks again for looking !

I do agree , the ”roar ” of the little Micra engine working ovetime on the rpm scale is therapy on your seoul.
When you participate with a Micra the best part is to see the reactions of other car freaks when I passes them like a beast in disguise…ha ha.

Martyboy ; The MOT will not like it BUT that is why I have made it the way I did so that it can easily be remowed when you don’t use it.
Of course correct made springs , shocks , struts and all the rest of the superduper parts are better AND more correct way of going about this.

But my point is to show what actually can be done in a extremely easy and cheap way that works almost just as well as long as you know what you get involved in as you do get some perculiarities along this path of doing it…

Baguete :
Nice of you to look in at the project. Have seen yours and I am impressed with you eager to work on your car. Keep it up !

Edit ; i will easily get up to 7400 rpms on lets say autoslalom events. i am currently making my own adjustable camgears for further ehnancements of that issue..

Here are some more details of the “strapper “ setup :

You drill through here and install the upper “eye-bolt “ through it in that way you have a upper mount to run the strapper through:
tn_DSCF6008.JPG

You cut your plate the length you need ( or make one from other material stock ):
tn_DSCF6006.JPG

I think this is some king of house building bracket.

You weld it in place here , in that way you have you lower mount to run the straps through by using a U-shackle from a boat shop thingy:
tn_DSCF6005.JPG

They will also easily clear tires in the 195 / 50 / 15 range.

Notice how both the upper and lower mounts has very rounded edges for the straps to run through. In that way you wont cut the strapper under use and they runs smooth as they work.

Here it is fully assembled on the car when it is in use:
tn_SP_A0489.jpg

By tightening or slacking the strapper bands you can now decide what characteristics you need.
( they will all be in the ultra hard section…ha ha )and you now have body roll control.

Think of a Go-kart that has no suspension parts at all , just a frame that transfer the twist through the chassi and there you go.

In the rear it is quite simple as shown , and basically your just connecting the chassi and the suspension in a predetermined way that you decide the outcome of.
tn_SP_A0484.jpg

All you do is to limit suspension travel , stiffen it up and have major control of a terrible enemy when you want to turn quick ; body roll.

As said earlier , this is NOT FOR ROAD USE.

Just my way of getting the job done for 20 pounds instead of 800 pounds in suspension parts.
By the way , the project will probably have 800 + pounds in proper suspension parts later on…

Whey yyy , I found another video of the same first Autoslalom event I participated in and that shows you even better how wild you can throw this car around with such a cheap set up.
In this attemp i just floored it and hung onto the stearing wheel like a maniacgrr

[video=youtube;ElXwMMj_xR0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElXwMMj_xR0[/video]
This is round 2 that I did and in this particular event.

The track was suddenly not how it should be , at least not in my eyes for e moment lol , so I stopped completely up for almost 5 seconds before I knew where I was and even still I finished with the fastest time overall.
Havent I made that mistake I would have slaughtered the guy on second spot with more than 7 seconds on that round,,,jihaa

I think that the video speaks by it self wether the crude modification works or not on a almost stock car.

More development underway…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back