turbo build

Status
Not open for further replies.
everything u mentioned ^ I've been through and is mentioned on my blog.

I knew the turbo made 160ftlb so upgraded to helix 3-pad clutch that could withstand 180ftlb when I fitted the turbo.
tried solarices 3-pad clutch beforehand and it engaged & felt just like a stock clutch.
it could just barely handle the torque and drove through traffic like normal but glazed easily if you drag or track it and the ceramic pads will eat through the flywheel fast.

once glazed, it's performance is dramatically weakened

the 200mm helix organic clutch I have now is firmer and need redrilling but is guaranteed to withstand any torque I'll ever run.

everything u mentioned ^ I've been through and is mentioned on my blog.

I knew the turbo made 160ftlb so upgraded to helix 3-pad clutch that could withstand 180ftlb when I fitted the turbo.
tried solarices 3-pad clutch beforehand and it engaged & felt just like a stock clutch.
it could just barely handle the torque and drove through traffic like normal but glazed easily if you drag or track it and the ceramic pads will eat through the flywheel fast.

once glazed, it's performance is dramatically weakened

the 200mm helix organic clutch I have now is firmer and need redrilling but is guaranteed to withstand any torque I'll ever run.
That's a nice setup I have been quoted 400 for the 200mm clucth and my flywheel drilled that's too much for me, I can get a 3 paddle clucth but it's 180mm any good to me ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nice setup I have been quoted 400 for the 200mm clucth and my flywheel drilled that's too much for me, I can get a 3 paddle clucth but it's 180mm any good to me ?

Less paddles give the pressure plate less to press on. This increases clutch pressure. But deceases effective surface area of the friction plate
It means you'll have a comfy clutch and it'll grip more... but as there's less material the chances of slip are also increased

Read it
Digest it
Buy a 200mm helix clutch

driving in heavy traffic, the paddles are also sometimes prone to stuttering/skipping, flywheel/clutch will wear faster than a normal full-face organic setup and the clutch disc WILL be prone to overheating if you constantly slip or abuse it due to the lack of clutch material

Less paddles give the pressure plate less to press on. This increases clutch pressure. But deceases effective surface area of the friction plate
It means you'll have a comfy clutch and it'll grip more... but as there's less material the chances of slip are also increased

Read it
Digest it
Buy a 200mm helix clutch
Sorry am not gona pay 400 pounds just for a clucth, I will go for the 180mm paddle it's cheaper and I will have to get use to it

driving in heavy traffic, the paddles are also sometimes prone to stuttering/skipping, flywheel/clutch will wear faster than a normal full-face organic setup and the clutch disc WILL be prone to overheating if you constantly slip or abuse it due to the lack of clutch material
Polly can I have a paddle clucth for 5 miles a day driving and getting use to the clucth

stani recorded 133 whp and 188n/m on a stock clutch i believe azzy http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/stanis-turbo-si-build.43275/page-13#post-558158
i doubt you will be running more than 12 psi tbh
Am not sure frank about the power I'll be running but I called ed and he said more then 150 bhp will slip so he said to go for a better clutch or no point and it's true say I'll rather get one upto power then doing it all again, 12psi ? Does that depend on my setup ?

imo from past experience, if your only gonna drive it normally on the street with occasional boosting, the 180mm 3-paddle helix clutch I had with a resurfaced flywheel and bedded in will handle upto 160ftlb fine.
it's when you abuse it with enourmous heat from drag strip or trackdays or just badly riding/slipping the clutch with high rev launches that the paddle clutch will irreversibly glaze and give up.

imo from past experience, if your only gonna drive it normally on the street with occasional boosting, the 180mm 3-paddle helix clutch I had with a resurfaced flywheel and bedded in will handle upto 160ftlb fine.
it's when you abuse it with enourmous heat from drag strip or trackdays or just badly riding/slipping the clutch with high rev launches that the paddle clutch will irreversibly glaze and give up.
No it's only for normal driving on roads for 5 or 10 miles a day? and am not racing or dragging so it should be fine I guess if I go for 3 paddle ?

your cheapest option for 10 psi + is probably a 2nd hand 190 mm GA f/w and clutch azzy (£30 scrapyard ?) and order an ebay concentric ring :)
Frank good idea but when am in scrapy they always give me Diffrent flywheels this time they might even give me rotten Micra one and not ga fw

Sent from my iPhone using T

So this one will do with a drilling machine on my flywheel ?

,,,,,,,,,was that a 190mm stock clutch that stani had?
i,m going by what stani said zed, on that page i just linked ^ "will my standard clutch and/or gearbox hold up" and "and even my standard clutch isn't slipping!"

i,m going by what stani said zed, on that page i just linked ^ "will my standard clutch and/or gearbox hold up" and "and even my standard clutch isn't slipping!"
Frank am guessing a standed clucth won't slip till I hit more power that's my worries am going by Ed just wana do it 1 time and it's sorted

Frank am guessing a standed clucth won't slip till I hit more power that's my worries am going by Ed just wana do it 1 time and it's sorted

it simply depends on what boost level you want to run mate, if you intend running 1 bar then the stock clutch will slip, and if you run phat tyres and dump the power the cushdrive will fail

got you frank boy

This morning ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' :) I'm glad to say the DOUBLE head gaskets have held well, there's no loss of coolant/oil and even my standard clutch isn't slipping! Next to do is see how long the gaskets last running 12psi daily, I've blabbed enough so here a few piccies, figures are power at the wheels so he reckons a few more tweaks etc and obviously a little more boost we have a 200bhp micra

image-5.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-6.jpg

image-7.jpg

Thanks for everyone who has helped along the way, you know who you are ;)

it simply depends on what boost level you want to run mate, if you intend running 1 bar then the stock clutch will slip, and if you run phat tyres and dump the power the cushdrive will fail
Frank am not sure what psi it will come at ? But I want 150 or more, I will have 15inch alloys so Almera gti brake fits on ? And I will drive normal in 1st and 2st and boost after 3 rd gear

Frank am not sure what psi it will come at ? But I want 150 or more, I will have 15inch alloys so Almera gti brake fits on ? And I will drive normal in 1st and 2st and boost after 3 rd gear

well glanza official figures are 133f/w hp and 157 nm @ 9.4 psi (1330 cc, and 88hp in N/A form) so i guess you will need nearly 1 bar for a "true" 150hp mate

Can someone give me a example of any cars that do similar 1/4 mile as the micra turbo ? Example, Civic, rs, gti ?

Could take a bike of getting used to that... Why not use the standard clutch for now, and if it's not good enough upgrade later? No point blowing 200 odd quid for no reason if you're never going to race/drag it pal

Could take a bike of getting used to that... Why not use the standard clutch for now, and if it's not good enough upgrade later? No point blowing 200 odd quid for no reason if you're never going to race/drag it pal
Why would I use a standerd clucth that will never make 150bhp and slipping? Am going by Ed as it will make that power as he said, am happy with 3 paddle

Why would I use a standerd clucth that will never make 150bhp and slipping? Am going by Ed as it will make that power as he said, am happy with 3 paddle

150 isn't always easy, and Ed has never seen your car pal, it's only an estimate, albeit a good one

Anyway, do what you want

once went to Japshow 2011 at santapod in my earlier weaker turbo setup (stock block with a 3 pad clutch)
lowest I got was 15.22 @ 89mph BUT afew factors made this number totally irrelevent tbh.

- twas my first time on that strip so had no idea of how to properly launch resulting in stalling, slow reaction, wheelspin and glazed clutch.
- being the first time at the event, I was hoping there was somewhere to store all my tools but there wasn't so I had to carry ALL +50kg of tools in the back which really affected my runs hence wasn't ideal or accurate.

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-31#post-468993

if I had more practice with a stronger setup and left the 50kg shackle behind it would've been much faster.

but dragstrips are not what me n kasandra are about. we're more focused towards having fun with speed n handling n braking on the circuit track :cool:

once went to Japshow 2011 at santapod in my earlier weaker turbo setup (stock block with a 3 pad clutch)
lowest I got was 15.22 @ 89mph BUT afew factors made this number totally irrelevent tbh.

- twas my first time on that strip so had no idea of how to properly launch resulting in stalling, slow reaction, wheelspin and glazed clutch.
- being the first time at the event, I was hoping there was somewhere to store all my tools but there wasn't so I had to carry ALL +50kg of tools in the back which really affected my runs hence wasn't ideal or accurate.

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-31#post-468993

if I had more practice with a stronger setup and left the 50kg shackle behind it would've been much faster.

but dragstrips are not what me n kasandra are about. we're more focused towards having fun with speed n handling n braking on the circuit track :cool:
that sounds good u can have gone faster if u had someone taking ur tools out, but there is always a day for that to come Polly

My setup is early days, I have the GA16 Clutch setup, on the 1.3 engine. Next few weeks I should be Testing it all properly.

Azzy just get your setup up and running ok. Go with the paddle if that's what you think is going to do the Job. It will probably save you all those journeys to the scrap yard and back. I was messed about by scrappies for weeks just getting hold of the 1.3 Gearbox.

this goes out to everyone who has helped me. enuo, stani, pollyp, h701micra, frank, R reg sr, micramarch, I understand about some clutch mentioned like luk, helix, and ga16, but I don't wana go standerd with the clucth as am driving back to Shefield after I get it dynoed ? What if it does slip and makes good power ? then I will need to buy a clutch again? And all the hard work and money's gone, as for the ga16 flywheel I can't go for this option coz I need someone local to make the spigon for the flywheel to fit my micra, other options am taking and buying is a 3 paddle 180mm fits in and it's made for the power, that way no risk but may need to get use to that's fine with me

Azzy just get your setup up and running ok. Go with the paddle if that's what you think is going to do the Job. It will probably save you all those journeys to the scrap yard and back. I was messed about by scrappies for weeks just getting hold of the 1.3 Gearbox.
That's how am feeling I have messed about and always get wrong parts or scrappy say it's something that I never seen, but am happy with 3 paddle that way no risk and no drilling or messing about needed, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back