• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Don't forget the middle lane drivers who refuse to change lane unless they need the exit ;)
gargh who are also doing like 65ish and there's a massive gap on the inside. why don't ppl realise if the thing in their rear mirrors getting closer quickly and theres a big gap on the inside for miles, MOVE OVER! it's in the highway code or common sense ffs

worst was some merc doin that on the outside holding the other c@!ks back so just went through the middle :p
few mins later they prob finished txting/phoning/wokeup and moved over after seeing their rear view

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2012 Roadtrip Part 1

I think I should just post an update since I'm at home rather than do it after the holiday.

Mon 27th travel down to cardiff, started off sunny in england but once i arrived in cardiff I hit an almighty monsoon, almost zero visability and riverstream on the road.

got to my cousin to drop off the forged engine to be measured n remachined but his machinist has recently been off for family reason so may not be available till next month. was gonna tune emissions but not in this rain.

meanwhile i was checking the car and found the new filters soaked in water:eek: can't be good
asked cousin if he had a hairdrier, he had a heatgun which will be faster, ok. turned it on, and with just a quick pass the red filter element instantly vanished! WTF:eek:
is this made out of wax?
need to buy another one tomorrow
DSC07440.JPG
DSC07441.JPG

Tues 28th meeting with mikes been pushed back to the afternoon so i can tune the emissions in this sunny weather.

DSC07442.JPG

first lets see what its running in its current form, O2 sensor connected, self learn correcting the low load afr to 14.7 and no cat:

MOT limits 0.3% CO and 200ppm

Idle
CO = 0.59
HC = 70

2500rpm
CO = 0.91
HC = 222

next I unplugged the O2 and cleared self learn so it runs exactly how its mapped. afr was really rich.
i really leaned off the low load fuel map to 18afr but wideband didn't matched the map so I altered the inj multiplier till it reads 18afr at idle & 2500. running so lean it misfires n pops constantly. this brought the emissions down abit but not enough.

so we fitted the cat, should see an improvement.
I found that there's a fine line when adjusting the fuelling to get the emissions within the limits.
too lean and the CO may drop but cos its difficult to burn and constantly misfires, the HC shoots up.
too rich and it may be able to burn and reduce the HC but the CO shoots up.

also the efficiency of that 2nd cat is absolutely dependant on getting it hot enough. even with heatwrapping its barely close to the limit at first whilst its only warm but the longer and faster I rev the lower readings drop as the cat temperature slowly rises.

reving at 3k the cat heats up much faster. and the best reading was:

2500rpm
CO = 0.03
HC = 187

the cat was peaking at 178C so thats how hot it must be during MOT.
with the cat still hot the idle readings are:

Idle
CO = 0.03
HC = 6:eek:

unbelievable, it might actually pass :D

now i went to halfords and got a ripspeed universal filter, was 10mm longer but still fits

DSC07443.JPG

was making my way over the cardiff bridge towards mike in devon, went full boost as i was overtaking when suddenly I lost all power! and engine was stumbling randomly and afr lean all over :eek:
wtf can't be IC/boost pipes cos thats been all fixed n secure.

thankfully there was just a turn off for the services so managed to stuggle to the carpark as she kangaroos along.

she idles fine for a moment and then drops down to near stall. wtf wrong?
maybe the cats collapsed? swapped back to decat but the cat looks fineo_O

O2 sensors duff and throwing the self learn off cos its mostly idling rich? unplugged and still running irratic.
spark and cyls look fine.

completely stumbled. began checking whole system and shockly i found the MAF hotwires been blocked with some sort of tissue?:eek:

how the heck did that get in? i didn't leave any tissue in the pipes did i?
tweezered it out and she runs fine again, phew

DSC07444.JPG

right lets carry on towards devon.
saw mike but had to drive down to see Jay which seemed like a trip down to lands end:) so I'd have to tell me mate in london I'll be late.

following mike, we joined the motorway and at one point we were on a steep incline and I had to overtake. WOT high rev but she had a small hiccup, woah whats goin there? so changed up.

met up with jay and was a good meet, weather wasn't pleasant. as i opened the bonnet i noticed the coolant levels very high, oh god please don't be a blown gasket.

rad cap off, brimmed up and reved the engine, hmm no bubbles so maybe its still good?

we set off back home as the rain began to pour. I drove over to m8s in london in the pouring dark rain, blinded on the A roads by xenon headlights, wiper smear and wet non-existant road markings. tried keeping off boost.

at london when i turned engine off i could hear the tank slowly bubbling. rad cap hissed with gas. i think its blown slightly :(

Wed 29th decided to go back home and replace with a stronger genuine HG cos it's pointless going to IOM in a broken car.

got back in the evening, rad cap again full of gas. brimmed up and reved engine but now it does bubble so HG definately gone.

disassembling the bay
DSC07445.JPG
DSC07446.JPG

taken head off

DSC07452.JPG

and yep cyl #4 seal gasket has collapsed. tis like the soft mushy stuff inside simply gave up and the hot gas melts it off and the metal ring pancakes. but wonder why it failed?
DSC07453.JPG
DSC07454.JPG

genuine gasket on

DSC07455.JPG

head and cams bolted up

DSC07456.JPG

covers fitted

DSC07457.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
so where did that tissue stuff come from?
first check the turbo and worryingly1-2 of the blades had bent back so something has hit it o_O

DSC07471.JPG

gently corrected it best i can with long pliers

DSC07472.JPG

i checked the IC for signs and geez the IC elbow has some mashed fluff from the turbo

DSC07458.JPG

the elbow after the IC was absolutely filthy with fluffy tissue stuff

DSC07460.JPG

DSC07461.JPG

looked in the IC inlet and wow its partially blocked with bits of white tissue
DSC07462.JPG
DSC07463.JPG
DSC07464.JPG
DSC07459.JPG

the IC exit is abit dirty but also pooled with water, so the rain must've also got into the filter, turbo and collected down in the IC
DSC07466.JPG
DSC07465.JPG

but hang on, thats not left over tissue, it's friggin paper cos its got lettering! :eek:

DSC07467.JPG

oh god i think what could've possibly happened was when i fitted the ripspeed filter at halfords, i remember i pulled out all the various sized rubber adapter fittings that was inside but maybe there was a small instructions leaflet inside I forgot?

so basically when i first took her full boost on the bridge,
the leaflet got sucked from inside the filter,
into the inlet pipe,
struck and got mushed by the inlet compressor,
coated the oily elbows joints in paper fluff,
got mostly blocked by the IC,
the smaller particles got through and coated the elbow pipes,
some got in the engine and burnt,
but some had blocked the GTIR MAF hotwire port hole making it run very lean hence lost power,
but at full power, when the blocked MAF made it burn dangerously lean, the temperature spike must've caused that cyl#4 gasket to fail and blow

tweezered all the paper out

DSC07468.JPG

a blast with carb cleaner really got all the muck out :D
DSC07469.JPG
DSC07470.JPG

reassembling and lets hope she's back to norm without any further drama please

Last edited:
Paul I'm not sure I'll be able to fit the block in the car for jae, if you want I can take it to your cousins in Cardiff after (I'm not to far from Cardiff)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
FOR FE@!!K SAKESSSSS

this is not f@!KIN good

i just started her up and she's blowing even worse than before!
starts rich but stays running very very rich throughout (O2 and coolant sensors working), rad cap off and she always bubbles when reved and exhaust steaming alot n smells sweeter than norm, pistons damp especially 1 & 2

this is feckin depressing! what the feck did I do wrong!?
i cleaned the surfaces and tightened the head bolts exactly to the book.

#sheds a tear#

i got no more HG and won't get one till nxt week.
so I think this means cancelling trips to scotland and prob cancel the ferry to IOM and if its really bad i may not make JAE #cries#

WHY!?

gonna try drive her out to see if it blows up.
if no better, I may try tightening the head bolts beyond spec

if that doesn't work then I'm doomed!

frank

Club Member
can a HG be retorqued even after it's blown?
it depends how bad the blow was eh paul, if its just seeping past the fire-ring, then sure,
mine squirted about a quarter litre of coolant out the rad when i ragged it round our track one day and i thought the h/g was a gonner, but i topped it up and it was fine :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok false alarm ppl, erm i think I over reacted abit.

just that initially i thought all the signs were telling me blow hg when in fact it was simply trapped air (cos i removed the head, some air was trapped throughout the system and heater matrix), exhaust steam was cos the system was cold on a cool night, and the rich afr was cos the inj multiplier is too rich by default and the O2 takes abit of time to heatup n relearn the mixture after battery was unplugged all night.
after few mins of idling and the rad fan working normally, the afr eventually corrected itself back to normal and coolant levels stable.

drove with no boost and coolant was stable.
drove with brief amount of boost and still stable.
did some full boost WOT launches and its still scarey quick and again coolant & afr stable.

damn she almost scared the living daylights outa me thinking i wasn't gonna make IOM or JAE:confused:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
it depends how bad the blow was eh paul, if its just seeping past the fire-ring, then sure,
mine squirted about a quarter litre of coolant out the rad when i ragged it round our track one day and i thought the h/g was a gonner, but i topped it up and it was fine :)

thx will keep in mind.
yaknow when the fire ring really goes and coolant gets sucked into the cyl and gets burnt during a cold engine & exhaust, does the exhaust still emit the same amount and density of water vapour you normally get in the cold starts? or does it emit like really thick thick smoke machine-like mist that hangs for ages like burning oil?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
You know polly, you would have been better just to get an untouched engine and put it in on low boost. the labour you have put into this and all the problems simply blows my mind.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
You know polly, you would have been better just to get an untouched engine and put it in on low boost. the labour you have put into this and all the problems simply blows my mind.

aye indeed but not sure if that'd be economical, feasible nor preferable at the mo.
to get another stock working 1.3 block of unknown state would have to spend least another £100-170 and space to store, both of which i can't afford right now.

how'd I lower boost? fit a weaker WG actuator? running lower boost on a turbo thats more suited for +10psi would mean sluggish response for that level of boost and so would be better to change to a smaller turbo to improve the threshold and lag, and maybe remap? which could mean more money upfront.
and underpowering is abit of a step backwards for me when I know it'll work at 10psi fine :p twas just quality of certain components and some silly mistakes that made it fail prev

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
running lower boost on a turbo thats more suited for +10psi would mean sluggish response for that level of boost and so would be better to change to a smaller turbo to improve the threshold and lag

Why? When does your turbo make say 6psi boost. Polly if I may, you seem to have so much theory in your head it confuses matters and perhaps dare I say it causes you some of these problems shown in this thread? Your playing with turbo's where in reality lower boost and higher boost efficiency really wont be that much different.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
6psi at i think 2500rpm

just seems this turbos abit too big and sluggish at the bottom end during WOT waiting for it to spool up and this 1.3 cg13de running at 10psi might not be pushing it to it full potential?.
wonder what boost & max flow this t2/t28 turbo can peak at before it begins to become restrictive? although i heard this turbos been used on bigger engines so restriction might not be a problem.

cousin suggested prob swapping to a smaller t25 with little work to improve boost threshold and lag whilst still able to reach 10psi, and same peak power/torque upto the limiter?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
this morning went for a final test drive. few full boost pulls and afr stable. check coolants stable but when i rev to the limiter it smokes light blue, mists slightly for few secs once it idles and clears after few secs, maybe stem seals? did another pull and one of the IC wasn't fully seated n popped off and the alternator belt tensioner loosened. fixed it back. ok most things ok, its time to move off to continue the trip to scotland. it only smokes when at the limiter so its minor. in glasgow at the mo and everythings fine. may not be online till i'm back home on thurs

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
hey everyone! I'm back home n in one piece :)

cos i only have a day of rest/clean up/prep before JAE, my roadtrip report of scotland and isle of man will be updated with pics n vids over the coming days cos so much video needs editing n slowly uploaded so stay tuned. but I'll try upload the good video stuff first cos the 2 laps of the TT race course tday was simply electrifying :p

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2012 Roadtrip Part 2

Fri 31st Aug
Began a long journey up towards Glasgow avoiding any motorways and some of the twisty A roads running beside the motorways are far more interesting. The b&b is like a self service house. the owners would be living elsewhere or next door while the people make emselves at home, food and needs provided, and since it was just me there its like i'm living in my own house :) being this free n independant in a b&b is gr8.

i prevent another monsoon from soaking the filter i tried wrapping it with some kitchen foil from my sandwiches :p

DSC07477.JPG

DSC07478.JPG

DSC07479.JPG

yet to experience another monsoon but it stayed dry n cool through normal rain

Sat 1st Sept
going up towards the hilly Lairg in NW scotland

DSC07482.JPG

saw a luvely view

DSC07486.JPG
DSC07487.JPG

and another better one once the sun came out :)

DSC07489.JPG

driving up to the b&b via single lane country roads twas like a fast fun rally stage. the view ain't bad

DSC07490.JPG

Sun 2nd Sept

next morning swapped the worn fronts to the back, while the damn midges try to fly through every oriface on me argh, had to wear earplugs to stop em getting in me ear canal eww

DSC07492.JPG

LH CV boot pierced again

DSC07494.JPG

one of the front pad shims had shuffled offset

DSC07495.JPG

stopped for the loo
DSC07496.JPG

on the way back down, past inverness for fuel, I took a detour through the hills of Braemar via the A939 and ooh there's some awsome twisty fast country lanes and some are like from gran turismo rally stages and the twisty swiss alps :)

Mon 3rd Sept

was a hot day, got on the ferry over, took 4hrs :/

DSC07498.JPG
DSC07500.JPG

met skinner, checked-in b&b and we went for a spot of fish n chips Mmmm

Tues 4th Sept

met skinner back at the docks and we drove around some interesting country.

saw his beast at his house. i sat in it and omg now thats extreme lol. far too raw for me :p the seats well low i can't see anything, although he's taller than me, seats well snug and the harness really restrains you uncomfortably after awhile. house brimmed with micra bits all about, like mine :p

we carried on over to the TT course start finish and he showed me the route.

initially there's alot of traffic to get past through the busy villages but once we're in the open mountain roads there's less traffic and NO friggin speed limit haha

i open the taps on the long open bumpy straights and woarghh its so sensational. the car easily reving towards 100mph down the scarey roads but my poor gut says (ARGHH!) lol

what a track eh :cool:

can't believe back at the paddock you can just walk around it, can't do that at silverstone, and the view from the stands are amazing and close. would soo luv to come over during the TT race next year :)

DSC07502.JPG
DSC07503.JPG
DSC07504.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Wed 5th Sept

checked out the b&b

DSC07505.JPG

went to the start finish to begin my solo runs :)

DSC07506.JPG

did two laps before i had to catch the ferry.

was surprised i kept up with the biker initially :)

apart from the village traffic, the country course was soo thrilling, my fingers were tingling with excitement lol

when i stopped by tesco for supplies before the ferry i saw a hilarious old benz parked next to me thats been urmm, repainted with some black dulux and paint brush lmao

DSC07509.JPG

next check & clean the car tomorrow and maybe replace the CV boot

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ah, not sure in that case if i can use it cos me local machinist once said the block and girdle are uniquely aligned.
for now I think we'll leave it and see what my cousins machinist says bout this machining this forged engine block

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Glad you have a good run around the island Paul, on a nice day its hard to beat! il get a full lap video up one day with a bumper cam eh :)

there's always a bargain on ebay for the Drift x170.
there's one at £30 ending 2days and BIN for £90, they usually average round £70
so keep eye out for em

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
CV boot replaced

DSC07510.JPG

wheel nuts wirebrushed clean

DSC07511.JPG

changed engine oil, washed car and packed all ready to go at 5.30am to get there 9am with tired eyes

Last edited:
pfffft 5.30am? We left Ireland at that time to be here for about 7pm today and managed to find time to have a few drinks to wind down after

Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
JAE 2012

thought I'd fill ya'll in how it went and with pics I took

set off friday 7th 5.30am, was so tiring i needed a quick nap at the services. the AFR began to randomly lean out again, I stopped to check and summore debris blocked the maf again.

DSC07512.JPG

near the venue 10am I thought I'd stop by local tescos to grab my ticket from my bag rather than fiddle at the gates. when i parked Mik shouted me over. he was abit lost, found the honda gathering and I appeared there in time to lead him to the venue for his first time.

we got through the entrance, spotted dragons k12 but puzzled bout how to get there cos of the bollards. so had to go round the long way and found him and james/carrie

jay, karl & nex arrived, cars facing the wrong way so thought we'd move the cars down the front end of the stand where ppl will be walking past

IMG_0421.jpg

DSC07513.JPG
DSC07514.JPG

tents & more ppl slowly popping up, sun at lunchtime was unbareable, went to tesco with james n carrie for sandwich and a big brolly :)

as the day progresses, chris, solarice, etc arrived n setup camp

it was a day full of catchup n talking, my throat was absolutely killing from talking to sophia, chris, debbie, karl, celina, mik, etc and was a long night. rest of the park was asleep by midnight but the mighty msc kept on going through the cold clear night gathering round the barely warm bbq and till the generator was out of fuel.

i slept in my tent for the first time, twas alright, a chilly breeze down me back at 6am but just pulled the sleep bag over my head.

next morning, show day began to get interesting. we cleaned our rides and then literally out the blue, a blue k11 with white rota grids labelled GTR had arrived, twas james :)
what a special occasion i thought I'd never see. 5 famous boosted k11s at the front line.

DSC07515.JPG
DSC07516.JPG
DSC07517.JPG
DSC07518.JPG
DSC07519.JPG

IMG_0422.jpg

i had my compression tester that chris needed, warmed up engine, took plugs out and oops cyl1 was completely flooded in oil from a seriously damaged ring, 2-3-4 was sooty. no point testing compression as it runs on 3cyl. time for new engine.

i removed his seized waxstat and corrected the idle screw, couldn't remove n clean the IAV at the time.

as I was fitting Miks new wheel nuts, r-reg called me by surprise that he was there :) i ran over to show the way in. jeez like eveyone has appeared.

all the bbq's made an eery layer of smog

DSC07521.JPG
DSC07520.JPG

at night we started chris's car to see if the IAV fast idles and nope, starts at 500rpm. readjust to 750 cold and he'll have to clean the IAV at home.

i started mine to show how it should fast idle and then the fireworks began and so begins the oohs n ahhs n wowsy :) what a show. mik took some brill photos

afterwards everyone honked n revved n flashed etc was an ecstatic array of mechanical abuse :p

later on chris wondered if his SR driving lights could be connected or switched on seperately and so began the night of diagnosing the lighting systems, twas such fun n team bonding working together on the issue

DSC07523.JPG
DSC07522.JPG

turned out that the featured loom was missing or not originally there so the SR lights will have to be manually wired in.

r-reg and james GTR had to return home.

next morning frank appeared :) i took selina for a ride and get petrol & ice from aldi.

after packing up the tents etc, i managed to remove n fix chris's IAV and the valve was just abit stuck with dirt. free'd n cleaned up n reconfiged, she now idles up as normal.

lastly took will out for a short blast down the grass and was told off by the guards, woopsy :p meanwhile other cars were doing all sorts of donuts, skids etc
meh

on way home, myself and car worn out, she began to occasionally lean out under light cruise closed-loop?
i was testing all sorts of open-loop, closed-loop maps, various injector settings, cleaned the maf etc and it was annoying but eventually got home.

got a new o2 and will be retweaking the inj & mapping.

Last edited:

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
There was a black Skyline on the stand next to us doing donuts on the grass on Sunday morning and I didn't see him get told off :rolleyes:.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok tday i tweaked the injector multiplier and latency till the wideband runs close to the map with o2 unplugged and cleared self-learn and then i replaced the O2 with a new NGK sensor and i believe that's solved the problem.

previously the 1yr old sensor appeared abit sluggish during motorway cruising but with a new sensor and the injectors tuned closer to the ballpark the self learn correction response is much sharper and stays closer to 14.7 closed loop rather than veering off to 15-17afr
keeping a close eye on it over next few runs

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
so here I've replaced the 1yr old ebay o2 sensor for a nissan pathfinder with an ngk sensor from my local factors. the sensor cable is much shorter so required some rerouting. sensor responses much faster

DSC07524.JPG

cat fitted

DSC07528.JPG

trimmed back the downpipe heat wrap so it doesn't just soak up and keep burning the oil when standstill

DSC07529.JPG

dunno if this bolt came loose so replaced the missing hole with a shorter bolt

DSC07530.JPG

to shield the filter from water, rather than messing around with kitchen foil which could actually block most of the filter, instead i made a cylindrical shield from gluing some plastic sheet together

DSC07540.JPG

and taping it to the filter so it both shields it from oncoming water but the opening gap all round the filter allows air to flow in

DSC07541.JPG
DSC07542.JPG
DSC07543.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the leaned out map I tweaked for the MOT required the O2 disconnected. i didn't wanna just unplug the new O2 incase the exhaust just fouled up the cold new sensor so put the old sacrificial sensor back on n check the tweaked map works.

swapping the sensors, notice the new sensor on left is much cleaner cos its running closer to 14.7 than the old sluggish sensor thats been running abit lean

DSC07546.JPG

old sensor fitted, plugged in so its heated and switched to tweak MOT map with the O2 feedback turned off in nistune. it should be running 18afr during idling and free reving upto 3k but instead it appears the O2 is actually active n self correcting even though i asked nistune to ignore.

so next i plugged the sensor, clear learning and this time is does idle and rev at 18afr'ish. drove around to check it would be drivable to/from MOT centre, yep above low loads the afr richens to 13afr as shown in the fuel map.

curiously leaving the O2 unplugged i restored back to the normal turbo map to see what happens when running open-loop throughout and the afr appears much stabler in areas that would normally be closed-loop (less up n down n all over correction) (idle region maybe needs leaning) essentially it means i prob won't need an o2 sensor

so plugged it off with a spare bung from the wideband kit

DSC07547.JPG

double check readings n then book MOT for weekend

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
went for a test drive with the normal turbo map without an O2 and the afr throughout the map was spot on except for the richer 13afr idle so after more twiddling I leaned the idle region fuel map and hey presto 14.7afr and perfect afr throughout without an o2 sensor ;)

time to book MOT and clean off as much oil leak

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
tonight before the MOT thought I'd wipe clean the oil stains underneath. whilst wiping i found a startling sight that some noob mechanic from either an MOT or tyre garage had accidentally jacked the car up from under the fuel/brake lines:mad: which partially kinked 1 or 2 of the fuel lines.

DSC07548.JPG

DSC07550.JPG

maybe this restriction could have caused the high-load lean out issue i used to have during castle combe back in aug 2011 using the skyline GTS fuel pump (which prev had worked fine) but when i upgraded to a walbro 255 pump it overcame the restriction?

Last edited:

SirChris

Educated Bodger
tonight before the MOT thought I'd wipe clean the oil stains underneath. whilst wiping i found a startling sight that some noob mechanic from either an MOT or tyre garage had accidentally jacked the car up from under the fuel/brake lines:mad: which partially kinked 1 or 2 of the fuel lines.

scaled.php

scaled.php

maybe this restriction could have caused the high-load lean out issue i used to have during castle combe back in aug 2011 using the skyline GTS fuel pump (which prev had worked fine) but when i upgraded to a walbro 255 pump it overcame the restriction?
I would be walking down to the shop and i would be throwing my toys out the pram.

Sent from my NOVO7PALADIN using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
speaking of which, bad news. she failed MOT once again due to mainly emissions:(

told them hold it at 3k till the cat is least 170C

first fast idle reading slightly off cos cat wasn't hot

2nd fast idle the CO was 0.29 just passed but HC & lambda wayy way off at 622ppm prob due to massive misfire (it only randomly misfires when engines warm so wonder if its a bad dizzy coil?)

idle with the hot cat passed at 0.28% CO

other fail is missing ABS lamp, woops put that back in

and advisory are slightly corroded n/s back brake lines, i replaced it last yr? and blue smoke during acceleration, prob from reving the tats outa it.

asked if he held the revs long to get the cat hot, he says they have a limited time of 80sec they're allowed to rev at 3k, they tried several times but still can't get the cat working but his infrared measured the cat at bout 200C.

there really is absolute no point in trying to MOT a k11 turbo eho_O

pants, well i guess i gotta gather some bits n convert back to stock setup again! n pay partial retest

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
k found all the parts i need, just need to wirebrush the janspeed catback pipes.

thinking of replacing the dizzy cos it might be causing this warm random misfire.
was searching for used dizzys listed from £30-50 but then saw on ebay new lucas dizzys for £20!?

scaled.php

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LUCAS-DISTRIBUTOR-NISSAN-MICRA-MK2-K11-1-0i-1-3i-16V-42716-/310443513429?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model:Micra|Plat_Gen:K11&hash=item4847e01655

seems too good to be true? its cheaper than a dizzy cap. seller has good rating. u guys think it's genuine?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
a little cautious of buying it cos:
- i checked the sellers website link and is an actual parts place but checking their website listing of bits they only stock dizzy caps £22 and rotors £8 but no whole dizzys, tis only on their ebay shop
- elsewhere in ebay a used whole dizzy is from £35-60 and a new dizzy is £90-100

so it must be a price typo and prob should be saying £120?

think I'll message the seller to double check

a little cautious of buying it cos:
- i checked the sellers website link and is an actual parts place but checking their website listing of bits they only stock dizzy caps £22 and rotors £8 but no whole dizzys, tis only on their ebay shop
- elsewhere in ebay a used whole dizzy is from £35-60 and a new dizzy is £90-100

so it must be a price typo and prob should be saying £120?

think I'll message the seller to double check

If it sounds too good to be true mate it normally is!:)

£20 sounds just too cheap / its not on an exchange basis maybe? couldnt see anything on the site about it