N/A or Turbo!

Which do you people prefer?

The spooling sound of a Turbo, excitingly waiting for the boost.. or.

Old fashioned naturally aspirated, in out, in out, in out.

Well there isnt much progression from forced induction, atleast with N/A tuning you can go forced when you've run out of things to do!

I would prefer n/a if you chucked a lot of money at it, so it would sound like nothing youve ever heard, but i prefer the whine of a supercharger to the sound of a turbo.

Nothing like the roar of an awesome N/A engine!

Would rather here the burble of a huge V8 than the lame "pi.sst" of a turbo...

But that's not gonna stop me from putting a turbo on my engine when I get a transplant!! :D

Haha, turbo every single time. After a decent turbo engine all NA seem pretty boring by comparison.

thanks Rlees / Frank
compression i'd thought about, but i'd only thought about it as regards the head-gasket, which would need to be swapped to a thicker, low-compression item when going f/i anyways - had forgotton that pistons come into it too...
Cams i hadn't really considered, but i can see where your coming from, i'll have to do some reading up on that sometime... :)

RK

i believe with the extra (inlet opening/exhaust closing) overlap, a f/i engine would overscavenge, and let out too much fresh fuel/air.
i,m not sure what the consequences of the the extra lead or lag would be tho

btw a turbo puts less stress on an engine for a given output than na tuning.. 160bhp na 1.3 would have a MUCH shorter life than a 160bhp turbo.

I love turbo's.

Just those couple of seconds when you put your foot down, and nothing really happens, and then you're wrenched back into your seat.

Can we make things a bit more interesting and throw superchargered into the mix. My prefered choice

Put your foot down and get wrenched into your seat! lol

I bet a fraction of anyone here really knows anything about na or turbo tuning. They both have their places just NA is more easily accessible to those with smaller budgets...

I bet a fraction of anyone here really knows anything about na or turbo tuning. They both have their places just NA is more easily accessible to those with smaller budgets...

not really. The cheapest way to see big power gains is by bolting a turbo or s/c on. Now f/i is not cheap (could set you back £1500-£2000) but you will spend alot more tuning an engine to see the same power increase.

BIG power gains are not cheap, if what you were saying was true the MSC would reflect that, the truth of the matter is the totally opposite is the case. Any power gains are almost always N/A there is no evidence at all to suggest anything otherwise.

So as I already said "NA is more easily accessible to those with smaller budgets..."

Turbo all the way, love turbos, they rule!!! I've done a couple of turbo conversions now (all RS Turbo based) and I love them. They aren't amazing power, but the sound and feel of the spool of the turbo, the chatter of the wastgate, the sound of a dump valve, they all do it for me.

N/A is cheaper for the average micra owner with a budget of 600 will get them close to 90+ bhp with some headers,exhaus system an exhaust system + decent air feed and a cheap piggyback like safc to "tune" with but preferrably a remap.

Turbo system at the very least will set you back £1500 if you do everything yourself from fitting, welding (full exhaust system, i/c etc) and tuning. Mine has cost in that region but in my opinion closer t £1100.

why not super turbo with nos?

thats what i want :D

why not lol...dont make it easy for yourself do you :D

as you'll have all guessed i prefer SC if only because theres less of them about :) but turbo should be easier as the parts are pretty much more off the shelf...id suspect thats the reason most people go mild N/A easiest route to source parts and get decent gains without excessive outlay.

as said they all have their place.

N/A, I don't like waiting a few seconds for my power, I think turboing a car should be a last resort, when you've got the last few horses outta the engine.
If you want a quick and easy boost add NOS not a turbo.

N/A, i'm not going to give perfomance reasons or anything like that because i'd probably be wrong, i just love the sound!
Especially the crazed noise as a wild vtec kicks in, or an old tuned two stroke bike hits the powerband and goes wild!

Turbo system at the very least will set you back £1500 if you do everything yourself from fitting, welding (full exhaust system, i/c etc) and tuning. Mine has cost in that region but in my opinion closer t £1100.

You can easily spend that on a N/A car, throttle bodies and a stand alone ecu would inc setting up would just about cost that.

You can easily spend that on a N/A car, throttle bodies and a stand alone ecu would inc setting up would just about cost that.

You gotta be kidding haven't you full quad jenvy throttle bodies and manifold will almost set you back that alone. let alone an engine management and wiring harness's.

I'll tell you what i have had turbo'ed micra's and i pick mine up tomorrow with full jenvey quads and engine management. I'll let you know which i would say was better.

Oh Micra Pete, why does this thread make you cry?

cheers Paul

as said by paul smith just the throttlebodies will set you back just that. Also a 1.0 with turbo setup will get you in the region of 120-130bhp easily with around 8 psi no problem.

With n/a on 1.3 you will be nearin 90-100 and thats after you've spent the £600 on N/A parts only like exhaust,induction etc, add the £350 for the remap from Ed.

You've reached £950 now add the throttle bodies £1100 and cams £220 because putting jsut the throttlebodies is somewhat pointless if the car can't breather higher up where the best most gains. This will get you around 130-150 on the 1.3 and probbly around 100-120 on 1.0. This has cost you in the region of £2500 without labour.

Only a handfull of people on here can carry this work out themselves on here anyway so most people need to factor in cost of labour.

There is a limit on both n/a and turbo's on a budget. N/A will become very costly after the generic headers, exhaust, induction and remap. stock internal turbos are limited to low boost some cars handle more but around 8-10 psi is most common. Pound for pound the turbo will give more power.

Yes but even with labour costs a nitrous kit will still outperform a turbo or N/A setup for the same cost. Up to a certain power increase the engine can stay pretty standard too and best of all there's no power loss or lag with nitrous.

ollyc98 I bet you have never even been in a micra with nitrous...

Oh Micra Pete, why does this thread make you cry?

cheers Paul

I think its because many people are talking like they have actually tried when they are just repeating what they have been told and really don't have any practical experience at all.

No I haven't but what's that got to do with anything. I'm talking about engines in general. And the performance gains for the cost. The original post says nothing about it being a Micra

nitrous will still need to be mapped, it's not plug and play. anaverage nitrous kit will cost round 200 and then the tank. and a remap for 350 if the stock ecu can handle nos (it should be able to). And not to forget nos is illegal for street use and that you have to refill the tanks. in the long term will cost too much and get you in trouble.

most people say n/a because turbos are common to them but round staffordshire a good turbo sound is rare to hear so im gona go with turbo

nitrous will still need to be mapped, it's not plug and play. anaverage nitrous kit will cost round 200 and then the tank. and a remap for 350 if the stock ecu can handle nos (it should be able to). And not to forget nos is illegal for street use and that you have to refill the tanks. in the long term will cost too much and get you in trouble.

More like £4-500, you also don't need a remap, and nitrous is not illegal for street use, in fact Adrian Flux will insure it.

Ed

Yer its not illegal as long as you dont break the speed limit. Which you probably will if ur using nitrous! :upside:

Got mine back today. Horray...

Right i have been cruising about now, settling her back in.

Having had both turbo micra's and now a quad throttle bodied micra.

I will have to say N/A.

Not to take anything away from the turbo setup because having a rush of power is a lovely feeling but having that power all the time with every touch of the throttle is even better.

To bump this, here is why I would say turbo

Looking at some graphs for turbo cars compared to Pauls - which I must say I am not taking anything away from, I would imagine it is great to drive and a lot of fun.

however. Looking through some graphs. Compared with one turbo charged micra, on standard pistons, that I have a graph for.

And apologies if anything is wrong here, im at work, so just a quick check

Pauls car about
90 bhp at the wheels at 6900rpm
100 ft/ibs torque at 6000rpm

turbo micra
150 bhp at the wheels at 6100
144 ft/ibs torque at 4600

So that means its making the same power at about 4000rpm.

I would imagine the budgets could be comparable, but don't know for sure.

i would like to point out nos is fully legal!as long as you drive within speed limits and dont drive without due care and attention to the road lol i know this because there is no law against the use of nitrous in cars , illegal my back lol if i remember correctly max power mag went to hells gates to prove there was no law governing the use of any gas in an engin and was linked to lpg as a different fuel :D

Turbo!! Every car I've had in the last 5 years has been turbo or s/c From starlet turbos,mr2 turbo,ae101 s/c toyota levin and now I have march st for the last 2 years or so.
I must say though a lively n/a car like a japanese dc2 type R integra(brother has one) are a great drive also but I would'nt be in to them

Thing is with NA cars is even when highly tuned they feel utterly gutless. I drove a new ish Celica the higher powered version, it did go fast when pushed into the cams but it felt mighty slow out of it.

Thing is with NA cars is even when highly tuned they feel utterly gutless. I drove a new ish Celica the higher powered version, it did go fast when pushed into the cams but it felt mighty slow out of it.

Celica's were always to heavy or something I had a gt four celica for a month or two and it was a pathetic excuse for a 4wd turbo car and I also drove a 99 6speed 190hp t sport and that was not at all fast although handled nice. . .drive a honda and there different more lively, although torque is ####,my st has more than a ek9(96-00) civic type R!

Back