Rubbing Compound?

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Anyone Know How To Use This Stuff Properly?
tried it out yesterday and waxed the bonnet afterwards came up a real treat however swirl marks are still visible is this stuff supposed to get rid of it?
any tips/ comments welcome (Y)

if you were using G3 or similar its very abrasive :eek: (hence the swirls) and you need to finish with a finer compound (eg G7, or t-cut) and then wax it

I use it from time to time,

Idealy you want to use it with a polishing machine with a stiff foam attachment, but you can use it on a cloth. Get an old spray bottle fill it with water then spray it on the area as you rub the compound in.

It does take a good rubbing session to see results hence the best way is to use a polisher. The water acts as lube so you dont burn the paint.

if you were using G3 or similar its very abrasive :eek: (hence the swirls) and you need to finish with a finer compound (eg G7, or t-cut) and then wax it

lol i didnt make the swirl marks they were already there the bonnet came up alot better just didnt get rid of the slight scratchy swirl marks so... maybe ill invest into a buffer polisher thingy a mig... (Y)

I use G3 at work all the time and yes you should use with a buffer.
If you use G3 first then use a machine polish with a waffle head on your buffer just to get rid of the swirl marks.
Then use wax to bring to a shine.
Hope this helps.
Oh and keep the buffer moving all the time or else you'll burn through the paint.

I've never used 1 of them so couldn't comment.
However a buffer will set you back about £100 for a half decent one.
So i suppose your saving yourself some money if you buy the halfords 1.

dont suppose you could tell me what brand/model you are using so i could compare because im a bit dubious of the halfords polisher, thankyou!

Dude don't waste your money, just give it a good t-cut and then polish/wax it twice over. If you keep going at it with rubbing compond you'll be taking off more paint than you need to. One more thing regarding the t-cut, do not let it dry once it's on or it'll be a total cow to take off. Put it on ya cloth work it into the paint then buff it straight off, then just wax it and see the difference.

Dude don't waste your money, just give it a good t-cut and then polish/wax it twice over. If you keep going at it with rubbing compond you'll be taking off more paint than you need to. One more thing regarding the t-cut, do not let it dry once it's on or it'll be a total cow to take off. Put it on ya cloth work it into the paint then buff it straight off, then just wax it and see the difference.

i have t-cut and used it soooo many times but the ugly swirl marks and very fine scratches remain im replacing the bonnet anyways as i have a new one in the garage but the bonnet is my testing area before i do anything on the rest of the bodywork, ill take some pictures after certain finishes at some point and show everyone the difference... and my swirl marks :(

From experience T-cut is ok, but nowhere near as good a finish as buffing.
The 1 i use is a Bluepoint/Snap-on. It cost about £120 i think, its variable speed and quite light so doesn't make your arms ache. Lol.
A guy i work with gas a Milwackey ( i think thats how its spelt) That cost him £200 about 5 years ago, but it's brilliant. Even lighter than mine, I always try and use his when i can.
You only want to buff your car probably once or twice so it's probably not worth spending that sort of money.
Have you tried your local bodyshop?
We charge £50 to buff a full car and then polish it and it takes a few hours to do.

From experience T-cut is ok, but nowhere near as good a finish as buffing.
The 1 i use is a Bluepoint/Snap-on. It cost about £120 i think, its variable speed and quite light so doesn't make your arms ache. Lol.
A guy i work with gas a Milwackey ( i think thats how its spelt) That cost him £200 about 5 years ago, but it's brilliant. Even lighter than mine, I always try and use his when i can.
You only want to buff your car probably once or twice so it's probably not worth spending that sort of money.
Have you tried your local bodyshop?
We charge £50 to buff a full car and then polish it and it takes a few hours to do.
will bare the bodyshop in mind but i think it will feel better if i did it and went... WOW! lol

Thats true theres nothing like the satisfaction of doing something yourself and seeing the benefits afterwards.

Back