Orbital Sanders

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Does anyone have any recommendations? I havent a clue of the good or bad points with them, just looking to save time. Thanks.

Definately go with random orbital sander, preferably a dual action so you can switch it between random and high speed.

Not much to say, the big well known brands are the only ones worth getting, bosch, skill, makita, etc..
Look around to find the best price.

random orbital sander it is. what about air pressure? we've got a compressor at work but its not huge. can you get a decent orbital sander that will work well with a smaller compressor? or is it worth just going for the electric powered sander?

electric powered sanders are good engough...heck my mates electric one nearly took most of my alloy out lol. there still powerful ;)

ha ok, cheers for the advice, i'll look for an electric random sander then. And Hyundai your a true legend if your willing to sand down a whole car with your hands! :p

I'd feel that I am more in control of what I am doing. It wouldn't take more than 3-4 hours. Well, maybe a bit longer, but it's all good.

Go for an electric one!

For the best results you should finish hand sanding, but at first i'd use a sander because it will save you vast amounts of time on the harsher grit and encourage you to do it properly! :)

If not going back to bare metal then make sure the paint systems you are using are compatible!

And by hand i mean, wet and dry! Time to man up! :)

No, but unless the car's immaculate, it'd take a considerable bit more than 3-4hours by hand!

I did say a little bit longer. Parts of his car might be good condition, and some parts not. Differentiate between these different areas and sand accordingly.

Attachments

• PICT0075.JPG
    PICT0075.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 155
I have plenty of sheets so i'll bare that in mind. Im not planning on re-spraying until September at least (when I hopefully get a new car) so I have plenty of preparation before preparation (if that makes any sense??). Making sure I plan early so I can get all the more expensive equipment. Its a 93 plate so its a fairly old car but I dont plan on sanding back to bare metal. My step-mums an artist so its also debatable wether to experiment a little with throwing on some unique design or some random graphics. However Im still learning so its a BIG maybe but like i say its a 93 plate, 150k on the clock so its just something to experiment with before i even consider a re-spray on a newer car. Thanks for the advice aswell guys, Im gonna ring my grandad sometime this week hes a bit of a builder/handy man so with any luck he'll get me a sander on the cheap. Cheers again.

Back