what welder to use

Yes, OMG how much easier life is with an auto dimming mask... literally greatest thing ever. First 4 months of my welding training I used a solid one until I found out the other apprentices had self dimming ones in their booths and I complained... NEVER going back to solid. I'll risk arc eye before I go back. That much better.
Mine is a auto dim one its better and no need to change diffrent eye shades

If it was safety you were after you'd have a fixed dark glass mask. No fancy dimmer to go wrong
And weld with one hand

for steel: MIG with or without gas, or arc, or TIG
for aluminium: TIG
for cast iron: nickel electrode on ARC
If you TIG cast iron or heat it first and use arc/MIG you don't need fancy electrodes. And I will always advise against gasless mig (which isn't technically MIG at all) as it gives weaker welds.u

If you TIG cast iron or heat it first and use arc/MIG you don't need fancy electrodes. And I will always advise against gasless mig (which isn't technically MIG at all) as it gives weaker welds.u

i dont have a TIG. i tried the arc but it didn't really take well. used nickel rods and preheated and it took like a dream.

i must stress i am not a welder. im totally self taught and in reality most likely not very good!

Back