What makes it a Micra?! - Thread re-named

D

dariogatso

Hi, newby to the site.

My fiancee has an 04 1.2 sx which she defends to the hilt and wont hear a word against. But she works in a rather all male enviroment and as such gets allot of smart remarks made about her '' jelly mold '' car.

i was wondering, whats the highest recorded BHP / 0-60 / TOP end for a micra ?

non standard obviously !!

just so i can give her some amunition !!

thanks
http://www.micra.org.uk/images/smilies/k11yellow.gif

:k11yellow :k11yellow

really

Well thats a decent figure... anymore suggestions...links to send etc would be welcomed.

thanks

ciao

All these are totally NON standard Micra engines, at least pick something that is realistic of the engines that are fitted to the K10/K11/K12, because there is little point of choosing stuff that almost no one could ever realistically achieve from the CG13 etc..

ok then...the ST ad the 160sr

edit:as standard

and if you say we cant have engine transplants..why should we let turbo's into this?? most of the engine has been changed.imo a different engine is a modd just like a turbo conversion

Way I see it is micra is not a micra any more if engine is swapped for something differnet as the whole point of showing that a micra can be made quick is not to put an engine in from a bigger car! Not to say of course this takes away from the mental speeds of the SR20DET K11, Mid mounted K11/K12 etc but but its hardly got the heart of a true Micra has it!

The are other decent cars here too which are still micra powered. mr.grassie for example with his K11 turbo :) and others else where such as Jo and Johns well known K11 turbo and world wide cisco and arron etc... All of these are making nice amounts of power.

Ed

quickest standard k12s

are

Micra 160SR - 110bhp
March 15SR-A - 130/40bhp
March 12SR - 107BHP

the 1.4 micra is something like 86bhp....my 1.2 is hitting the same power maybe more than a std 1.4

and with 15's on mine at the minute its quicker than a 1.4.....and i know because i have both a 1.4 and a 1.2....

i see a micra trip to the strip after this convo.......

the 350sr is a micra!!! just cos it has a big engine designe for a z car or wotever.....it makes no difference .nissan made it and named it micra

RIK said:
the 350sr is a micra!!! just cos it has a big engine designe for a z car or wotever.....it makes no difference .nissan made it and named it micra

valid point nissan did make the car...even though the engine was from the 350z....its like saying a the morono (the jeep thing) cant be a morono because it has the 350z engine as well.

Ed said:
Way I see it is micra is not a micra any more if engine is swapped for something differnet as the whole point of showing that a micra can be made quick is not to put an engine in from a bigger car! Not to say of course this takes away from the mental speeds of the SR20DET K11, Mid mounted K11/K12 etc but but its hardly got the heart of a true Micra has it!

I agree a powerful micra, must have a micra engine, supercharged, and turbocharged, still has a Micra engine, however putting an almera/primera engine is not a micra.

If the car still has an engine in that is from it's original spec sheet, then yeah, it's a micra

i dont agree that if you change an engine in a micra its no longer a micra... the SR20DET "micra" is still a micra, same way as a 2.0L corsa is still a corsa its not a cavalier is it!
i do see what you are saying but that is a totally different arguement, the question was the "fastest/bhp micra" so the answer has to be anything in a micra shell in my opinion.
the other arguement would be what is the most powerful...then an engine code CA13DE, CA10DE, MA etc etc

my 2p

i would have 2 say otherwise... the micra was BUILT with the 1ltr and 1.3ltr engine... its like stuffing a lobster with chicken, would it still be a lobster?

The kit car I'm selling has a Porsche body, does that make it a porsche?

Guy on FFoC has an RB26 engine, going onto a specifically designed chassis, with a fibreglass focus shell, by your reasoning this is a FORD FOCUS

yeah to tom **** and harry on the street it is "a what ever it looks like". as i say i do see your point. your arguements are less relevent but i do see what your saying.
a micra will always be a micra IMO as with any other car, like a nova will always be a nova regardless of modifications unless you get a shell transplant lol, the focus you talk of is bascially a kit car, but to the public it will just look like a focus,

hard point to argue really but i do believe that a micra with a GA16DE transplant will still be a micra.

if i change all of the suspension on my car does it become a whiteline?

or if i put a saxo bodykit on...does it then become a saxo?

well if you wanna get technical a micra is still a micra no matter what engine you put in it coz nissan named it the micra and until the custom parts make up the majority of the car it will still be a micra. personally i dont think its a micra in spirit but thats just me. Where do you draw the line though, is a nissan figaro a micra? shares the same everythin apart from the body? im not sure, i suppose its down to personal opinion

runaway-robot said:
its like stuffing a lobster with chicken, would it still be a lobster?
ha ha ha ha ha love it, a friend of mine has a capri with a 4.8 range rover engine in it, but the log book still says capri, the car make or model is dependant on the origional chassis is.

That car was made up of parts, that collection of parts is a Nissan Micra, change the engine, it is no longer that named collection of parts.

Suspension changes are neither here nor there.

I see alot of points in this convo, but saying a Micra is no longer because you stick a bigger (or smaller) engine in it, i have to disagree, im not choosing sides here, but its stillt he same chassis, and to anyone else walking around, its still a micra whatevers under the bonnet...

Yet there is another point, if a micra did have another engine for example from a honda (Example!)... when your asked "What you running under there?"...Thats when its no longer a Micra, so i guess it works both ways.

I don't think theres any straightfoward answer to this.

One one hand, by saying that by replacing the standard engine with one from another type of car somehow corrupts its "Micraness", you could say that just about any part fitted from another car, eg; the 1.4 sunny brakes, etc makes it no longer a Micra.

On the other, when I go to see the stock car racing and watch the "Legends", they're a Ford Pop chassis with a Yamaha motorcycle engine in the back and I don't know what the hell I'd call them. Ok not exactly road cars, but the same argument applies.

To most people who don't know much about a cars performance though, image is what matters. If its made to look like a micra, its a micra. If its made to look like something else, its not. I think one of the main reasons people like to put big engines in Micras is because it surprises a lot of people, the image is a Micra, the performance is something else, if that makes any sense.....

sonic said:
I think dariogatso's opened up a big can of worms with this one:eek:

Agreed.....

To get back to the original post, I think that so long as the car has the Micra image, its a Micra. So I don't think it matters what size engine it has in that case. So I think the 360 BHP, 174mph, etc figures that Ian gave towards the start of this thread are perfectly valid.

engine swap or not to swap

Well wasnt quite expecting the moral debate on engine swaps.
coming from a subaru / evo background, there is in my opinion three type's -
pure breads/ use engines only for that model type as chosen by the manufacturer and tune them - half breads / swaping say a 2.5 into a uk 2.0 from the same manufacturer and tuning it - mongrals / engine swap from any company and re-positioning etc.

having said that, they are the same family, but as we all know, there are some relatives we rather avoid !!

BHP doesnt = fast, much more to that for penths's worth

she has been adviced and is winding her boss up that 350micra will beat his M3 round the nurenberg ring !! - wont confirm or deny to her its true :)

thanks for the info

dariogatso said:
there is in my opinion three type's -
pure breads/ use engines only for that model type as chosen by the manufacturer and tune them - half breads / swaping say a 2.5 into a uk 2.0 from the same manufacturer and tuning it - mongrals / engine swap from any company and re-positioning etc.

perfect answer lol, go the ST "pure breed" and SR20DET "mongral" :)

i think all the micras have nissan engines in, nobodys done an engine from a different company, mainly cos nissan are the best :p

All points are valid, it just depends on what you prefer, and what point you are trying to make, and for me right now sticking in a much larger engine to make a fast Micra is just too obvious and easy haha :)

i have 2 agree with ed... i would rather push the factory engine to its limits and get the same bhp, as the 1.6 engine, its just more fun. :)

Ed said:
easy haha :)

id disagree on this one its not hard to wind the boost and fuel up on a car and wait for it to go pop in the name of R&D its a whole different kettle of fish re-wiring and re-engineering a car to take an engine that it was never meant to have in it in the first palce.. if it was easy we would have more than 1 working on the road..

there are arguments on boths sides as to what is and what isnt a micra.. but looking back on the rout iv taken id have rather turboed my 1.3 as it would have been alot easyer! but when i talked to jo and john john said looking back on it he would have gone for a 2.0!! work that one out....

in the end of it, everyone has there own opinion, and wants different things... so this argument will never be settled... lets agree to disagree haha :laugh:

I knew what I said would cause a stir :)..

Raceworx said:
id disagree on this one its not hard to wind the boost and fuel up on a car and wait for it to go pop

True! but that doesnt make a car work reliably as all those who have done this and then had their engines go pop will testify! (there are MANY in the K11 world)
Why do you think people go for the simple option and just swap an engine rather than the more complicated one of correcly mapping a car which very few people seem to be able to do!

Its a whole different kettle of fish re-wiring and re-engineering a car to take an engine that it was never meant to have in it in the first palce..

But thats my point, many of the K11 conversions to the 1.6 etc are just direct changes with a few simple bits of fabrication. There are more of these than there are Turbos K11s as its easier (and cheaper) to do!

if it was easy we would have more than 1 working on the road..

There is relativly of what I am aware of anyway a great deal more K11s with larger engines than there are those that have turbos.

there are arguments on boths sides as to what is and what isnt a micra.. but looking back on the rout iv taken id have rather turboed my 1.3 as it would have been alot easyer! but when i talked to jo and john john said looking back on it he would have gone for a 2.0!! work that one out....

Jo and John are unfortunate with the bad luck they have had. They are amoungst many of the K11 turbo owners who can tell you just how much more hard work it is to get big power from a turbo conversion than it is simply to swap an engine, and in their case very expensive. They could have put in a SE20DET and had a much more powerfull car, at probably a third of the cost of their conversion. But their car truly is a Micra, and is still driven by the heart of one!

But in anycase - The work of all those including yourself to make fast Micras is top stuff, and I hope will encourage others to do the same.

there are points on both sides i just thought it was abit of a bad coment to say the conversion is "easy" whenn its not really putting a bigger engine and turboing the 1.3 to high power levels are probably on a par with eachother.. but not having to worry about the mounts wiring driveshafts ect makes me think adding a low pressure turbo to the CG13 is a fair bit easyer.. especialy with the redilly available piggyback systems like the e-manage being able to controll fuel and ign so efficiently..

and at the end of the day i dont think my micra will be fit for the purpose i intended it for.. and am currently thinking of selling it.. i want to do time attacks and as novel as it would be competing in a micra it simply wont be competative and the price of getting it from this stage up to the standard required simply isnt worth it.. so in a way iv already failed this task even if i get it on the road

Ok, it was mentioned that it was still on a Micra chassis, but what about the chassis modifications that need to be added to take these bigger engines, no longer is it micra engine, it's not. It's no longer a micra chassis, it's a custom chassis.

I wouldn't like to say engine swap/forced was any harder or easier.

Engine swap = Difficult and complex engineering, easy(for want of a better word) to set up
Forced = Easy(for want of a better word) to install, Difficult and complex technical set up to run.

But a micra is a micra, so long as it's chassis is standard and as a Micra block

Alienfish360 said:
But a micra is a micra, so long as it's chassis is standard and as a Micra block

so what is it then?? it would be insured as a MICRA it would say MICRA on the log book....the owners join the MICRA sports club

hmmmm..maybe it is a micra

Yeah but the Figaro is a Micra chassis, we have Figaro owners that are members but no one calles them a Micra! lol

Ed said:
Yeah but the Figaro is a Micra chassis, we have Figaro owners that are members but no one calles them a Micra! lol

ok the figaro does have the same chassis as a micra, but that doesnt make it a micra, they simply share a common chassis, the figaro was designed to be a figaro, not a micra with a body kit, otherwise it would have a 1.0l or a 1.2l engine instead of the 0.9l fitted, it would also probably carry the micra interior as well, an example of chassis sharing is from the bike world, the kawasaki z650 shares its frame with the z1000, they are two totally different machines with different characteristics, and definately not the same.

I'm sorry but although my car doesn't have the orignal engine, it is still a genuine Nissan engine.

You just can't make the same power with a CG13DE+T as you can with a SR20DE+T.

Dave

Alienfish360 said:
Ok, it was mentioned that it was still on a Micra chassis, but what about the chassis modifications that need to be added to take these bigger engines, no longer is it micra engine, it's not. It's no longer a micra chassis, it's a custom chassis.

so what if you put a bodykit on or tint the windows..put new seats in...

is that still a micra?

modding engine/chasis/shell/interiour..changing engine doesnt mean its not a micra!!

NISMO_ALMERA said:
I'm sorry but although my car doesn't have the orignal engine, it is still a genuine Nissan engine.

You just can't make the same power with a CG13DE+T as you can with a SR20DE+T.

Dave

if you put a ford engine in it....it would still be a micra

like 59bhp put the TVR backbox on his k11...it dont make it a TVR

PUT IT THIS WAY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOUR CAR WAS STOLEN- AND YOU RANG THE POLICE...

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY...

MY ''MICRA'' HAS BEEN STOLEN...

It may be a fast micra
It may be a colorful micra
It may be a very loud micra
It maybe a very modified micra...

still a micra...

got an Calibra Red Top inside?

still a micra..

Only because that is what is on the V5C haha:) What about mine? I would say a March - So would all the import K11 owners! Haha, I think really all this shows is how impossible it all is. Ultimately it doesnt really matter. :)

Ed said:
I would say a March

They would say... whats that?...

You would say a micra..

To me If it looks like a certain car... thats what it is... the block under the hood makes no difference...

Those fellas in the V6 4WD ice micras...

they are micras...

No, I would say a march, because if they drove around and saw it and ran the plate through the DVLA database it would NOT say Micra - It would say March!

kristian said:
Those fellas in the V6 4WD ice micras...

they are micras...

I would say not, they have no Micra parts on them (bar the headlights) so they are Micra replicas, just like the Cobra/Lotus 7 replicas etc that you get out there

Just to shove my tuppence worth in.

I've seen this conversation on the Lotus Elan owners club. There's a company called Spyder Engineering who make repalcement chassis' for the Elan/+2/Europa. They can also stick in a Zetec engine (rather than the stock cross-flow), beefed up suspension, Sierra brakes etc etc.

Lots of Lotus types say that the car isn't a Lotus anymore. Perhaps they are right, perhaps not. http://www.spydercars.co.uk/ford_zetec.htm

The problem is what is an official car in the first place. Nissan is a Japanese company. In Japan you can't buy a K12 with the 1.6 (as far as I know). Only Nissan Europe sell the 1.6 (again as far as I know). Is that an official Nissan car then?

Let's say my dealer sticks on a set of alloy wheels does that count. They are a Nissan dealer so....

If I stick a 1.6 into a K12 does it become a 160SR?

My opinion is that if more than 50% of the car has been changed then it becomes something else.

Back