What can happen when you take risks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
They break really easily, a loss of compression caused it to roll forwards when jacked up even though it was in gear:
DSC00005-2.jpg

You have got to be kidding me????????

Basic mechanics 101 chap, you made the most simple, and an incredibly dangerous mistake.

I know and normally I'd chock the wheels but I was in a rush cos it was cold.

Dangerous aint the word it almost crushed me against the wall I had to run up the side of the car lol

If you worked for me I'd give you the boot for stuff like that.

I just hope people here see this and realise this is how you DONT do things.

Unless you are seriously aiming for consideration for a Darwin Award, I suggest you take your car to a mechanic in future :p

I posted this to show what can happen if you do the job badly.

As I said normally I'd do it properly but I was rushing the job, broke my jack too so I had to lift the car up manually.

Safety first, dont matter if your in a rush

I would rarther be late than have the scare of my life and nearly get crushed by a 700Kg+ car

*shakes head*

Lol yeah I know that NOW. It's just too easy to get lazy when you've done something a load of times

at least it didnt land on the ground... might have made a mess of your lovely driveway ;)

ah well, things like this just make you learn. and i know what you mean, after you do something a million (maybe more on a renault) you can get a bit complacent, but safety first (lol)

use axel stands any time you going under it, you may live longer :laugh:

i had a jack give way and let the car down once lucky i wasnt under it fwn

Savage mate..... axle stands should surely go on before removal of wheel :p

We all learn things everyday.... i once had trouble pulling a fuel hose off the filter, had a close look at it while pulling and boom! On a drip in hospital having my eyes flushed out. :doh: always look away now :laugh:

On the clio you need the wheel off to get an axelstand under it.

I had a similar thing with a pressurised fuel line, got a good mouthful though

ive had both wheels jacked off the ground before and never had this problem. it surely never fell on its own, you must have had a bit of pressure on something

ive had both wheels jacked off the ground before and never had this problem. it surely never fell on its own, you must have had a bit of pressure on something

Nope other than the boot being open and there being a bit of wind.

As said before wheels are better chocked, especially the front, and axle stand asap. I also have never liked the look or trust small narrow jacks.

it takes 30 sec to chock the wheels,next time jack the car up in front of the rear wheel and put a axle stand in, with the boot open it must of been like a kite with all that french plastic

I love how people are trying to tell him what to do! He has clearly stated in the third post he would usually chock the front wheels and do it properly, but he was in a rush!

He posted it up to make a point that things should be done correctly because if you dont bad things happen! even if you are rushing!

Cheers Olly a good reminder (Y)

I love how people are trying to tell him what to do! He has clearly stated in the third post he would usually chock the front wheels and do it properly, but he was in a rush!

He posted it up to make a point that things should be done correctly because if you dont bad things happen! even if you are rushing!

Cheers Olly a good reminder (Y)

Glad someone got the point.

I also don't like the way the mods just changed the title to something that makes me look retarded. How hard would it've been to make it something like 'safety first' or 'quick reminder'

I changed the title. You first blamed it on a lack of compression allowing the car to roll, when that had nothing to do with the cause of the accident. A car will not roll on a flat surface unless something is pushing it. Even if both wheels are off the floor at the time, although it is stupid to do.

If your jack will not get it high enough to get axle stands under it then get a higher lifting jack, or lower axle stands.

Its not a case of a 'reminder' its simply neglect of how to do a job properly.

This is an example of how you can potentially live the rest of your life in a wheelchair. Therefore its pretty serious mistake to make.

Ed

I also don't like the way the mods just changed the title to something that makes me look retarded.

seconded....

whatever the reason for this misfortune it should be used as an oppertunity to educate the community, not belittle the OP

if your gonna retitle other peoples threads at least try to be constructive Ed

None of you would be thinking like this if Olly was now sit in hospital with broken legs etc.

There is no excuse for this level of stupidity.

I am not sorry for making such a point of this, he is very lucky, even by his own admission. I don't want anyone to make the same mistake again, the risks of personal injury are just too great.

THAT is why I am making a big point about it I ALWAYS do when its about personal safety when working on cars. That is above all the number one priority.

Ed

how many titles has this thread had now? this has to go down in history as the most.

this thread needs closing, needed doing ages ago, it shouldnt have happened, he knows it and hopefully wont do it again, end of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back