silly but bored

59 bhp is more than enough

Deactivated Account
if you got an alternator to charge a battery, and the same battery to run an electric motor which ran the alternator theoretically would you have a form of perpetual energy. i know this could never happen in real life but the theory is sound.

if you got an alternator to charge a battery, and the same battery to run an electric motor which ran the alternator theoretically would you have a form of perpetual energy. i know this could never happen in real life but the theory is sound.

the only flaw would be friction!!! from the motor and alternator. slowly it would drain the battery and not turn the motor, alternator wouldn't charge battery. it'd be a downward spiral.
don't worry, i've thought about it whilst bored aswell!!!!

That one's been around for years, its an interesting concept but as silver-si says its impossible due to friction, even if the bearings in the motor and alternator could be made friction free there would still be the problem of air resistance on the moving parts and the resistance of the wires transmitting the energy from the alternator to the battery, it's a nice concept though, it would put the willies up the oil barons if it worked wouldn't it.:laugh:

yep like people have said, air resistance, friction, electrical resistance, heat, noise... these are areas where energy is wasted... but if it worked then it would be perfectly slient and cold :D

what it would do tho is reduce the speed at which the battery would discharge because a percentage of the battery's output would go back into the battery... but eventually it would go flat :)

Totally agree with everyone here.

The battery would turn the motor, but the motor will also create heat, sound, and kinetic energy.

It will then only be the kinetic energy which would then be transfered into electrical energy, but you will lose energy in heat and sound. You would need an alternator that created no heat and sound. Something that just went from electric to kenetic back to electric energy. Not feasable possible with todays technology. The battery would eventually become flat!!!

maybe someone could come up with an altinator that puts out more power than you put in... like a gear box between the motor and the alt.... still wouldn't work lol

NeX, If you put a gearbox in the process then you add more Kinetic, sound and heat energy to the equation, thus decreasing the power output......I think.....I'm getting confused over this. lol

Since perpetual motion does not exist (its a physics impossibility) nothing like this would ever work.

brushless motors.... 90% efficient.....erm.... in a vaccume.......at -200deg

its possible to make it last a reaAAAAAAly long time...but not forever...

Yes but how would you get a vaccuum at -200 in a car? This would take a load more energy than the battery could produce!!!

Since perpetual motion does not exist (its a physics impossibility) nothing like this would ever work.

Physics is mainly theories. Theories can be broken!!! Theoretically!!!

Nothing is impossible!

Yes it is!

brushless motors.... 90% efficient.....erm.... in a vaccume.......at -200deg

its possible to make it last a reaAAAAAAly long time...but not forever...

Nope, there is NOTHING you could do to make the battery last longer than to put no load on it at all :)

Physics is mainly theories. Theories can be broken!!! Theoretically!!!

Nope these are not theories. This thread is all about the law of
Conservation of energy!

these cannot be broken or even bent!

Back