retarded?

I understand ICE can be a good thing - but surely that's just overkill?
And totally pointless when he can't even drive the car! 10,000 pounds? Flippin' Nora! :wow:

imo yup, ive seen theses contests on TV before...playing the single frequency with a DB meter on the dash. iirc one guys speaker setup started falling apart.

I couldnt see the point, however i know that could be the same feeling people will have with mine. So i guess its a personal thing. :)

i will point out some of the details for people who didn't want to read it.

the car weighs 10,000 lb making it almost undrivable, there is minimal room for the driver, the system does not have a stereo because its only designed to play a single tone. some of the cars have 2 inch thick glass, and bolt the doors shut, others have filled the doors with concrete. the system is so load that you can't be in the car when it is running so everything is done remotely with the car sealed shut. the speakers used are designed to only play this one tone and are not capable of doing music, they also burn out after the 2 or 3 seconds of use and most of the time is spend replacing the burnt equipment during runs. the final competitors go head to head in an all out system melt down in which the person who hasn't fried all the tech wins. its expensive, just to produce a tone you can't listen to because its too loud.

if this was about loud music, or high quility music, or install design, i would be happy because it has a function, but to play a tone til all the equipment is fried seems pointless.

i know everyone has their hobbies and often if you are not into them then they seem pointless, but this is like burning money

......brown sound anyone?

i'm with NEX on this, its just like burning money for nothing, i mean its not like you could go and blow people away with it if it weighs more than a couple of hummers and sounds like, well a giant engaged tone...

exactly, what i love seeing is a beautifully engineered and well designed audio system that plays music at a very high quality, i think that involves more clever ideas, more design and creativity, and gives more area for people to come up with new ideas, and it doesn't blow up after you use it.

I remember seeing this once on TV, not this exact one.

They put a glass of water in the car and it exploded....

Bit of a silly hobby IMO.

Each to their own though.

Well, what he does or is involved in clearly makes him happy. Who are we to question one's happiness? :down:

well yea thats very true i mean its his money etc, i am not going to go up to the guy and tell him i think he is wasting his time, in fact if i met him i would be very interested to see what he has done and how it all works etc, maybe i would find out something interesting that i didn't know before.

but as far as hobbies go this one looks like an easy way to waste money. and i suppose you could say similar things about drag racing, you cant drive a drag car on the road, and their engines have to be rebuilt after most races, bit of a waste of time, but at least you get that adrenalin hit from drag racing... i dunno maybe very loud tones does it for this guy

It's called competition.....humans will always try and get the best out of anything they can do.

The current world record is around 180dB. Now that's loud.

Edit: Most of these big competitors are sponsored by car audio manufacturers, so it doesn't actually cost them anything.

Back