• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Red GX 'Betty'

rusted-engine-of-old.jpg
My cg is a tiny bit better than that haha

Any tips for undoing crank pulley? Already tried putting 2 flywheel bots in and holing a bar to stop the crank moving, then getting the biggest beaker bar I could find smashing the **** out of it with a big hammer :/

Second pair of hands and two breaker bars and a can of spinach then :)
Everyone's decided to go out tonight so it looks like ill have to wait till tomorrow. Is the cam chain ment to lift over the sprockets allowing you to take the cams out once you have undone the tensioner? If not how can you undo the cam sprockets?

Any tips for undoing crank pulley? Already tried putting 2 flywheel bots in and holing a bar to stop the crank moving, then getting the biggest beaker bar I could find smashing the #### out of it with a big hammer :/

Best to undo with engine as a whole, i just put a ratchet on and old it flat against the pulley and give it sharp hits with a hammer, the compression going through the engine has always been enough to loosen them

Best to undo with engine as a whole, i just put a ratchet on and old it flat against the pulley and give it sharp hits with a hammer, the compression going through the engine has always been enough to loosen them
Ahh crap, I'm not putting it all back together to do that :(. It's not left hand thread is it?

Now I'm getting somwhere...
image.jpg

Still can't work out how to get the side panel that covers up the chain. Undone all the 10mm bolts but it won't prise off :/

The side cover has dowels, there are bits where flathead screwdrivers can get in to prise it off. Youll get it
I saw the dowels but I couldn't prise it off with a screwdriver. Ill spray some penetrating fluid on it and let it soak over night. Hopefully my dad will get the pistons off the conrods tomorrow, if he can ill be removing the 1l engine from my car when my uncle lends me his engine crane :)

If you cant get it off your not trying hard enough lol and does this penetrating fluid eat the sealant? Cause if its doesnt its pointless!

Oh an tell me it was a decent sized screwdriver?

If you cant get it off your not trying hard enough lol and does this penetrating fluid eat the sealant? Cause if its doesnt its pointless!

Oh an tell me it was a decent sized screwdriver?
Is it just the 10mm bolts on the outside you have to undo? Was a pretty decent sized screwdriver but ill use a bigger one next try

I saw the dowels but I couldn't prise it off with a screwdriver. Ill spray some penetrating fluid on it and let it soak over night. Hopefully my dad will get the pistons off the conrods tomorrow, if he can ill be removing the 1l engine from my car when my uncle lends me his engine crane :)
Heat gun or blow torch plus rubber mallet. Also. Wirebrush the exposed dowels too as they stop the removal of the cover.

All stripped down now :). Thanks everyone for the help along the way. My dad is taking the pistons to work tomorrow to try press out the gudgoen pins, will update tomorrow.

While I've got the engine in bits and waiting for my dad to get the pistons done i might have ago at porting and polishing the auto head and see what happens. I've never tried it before but it doesn't look to hard and ill be able to find most things I need in my dads tool box :p. If I don't feck it up ill do it on the 1l head, what sort of gains are we talking? 2-3bhp? Every little helps!

Its more gains for the future. A well done port and polish compliments other modifications as air can be drawn in and expelled smoothly and quickly :)

FYI, I know several people with flowed heads on their K11s and they have all been rather dissapointing except for those who are building class winning rall or grasstrack cars. The standard heads are very capable from the factory.

Back in the old days, the NME boys used to say that, unless you are aiming to push more than 130bhp in naturally aspirated CG13, headwork is not worth the cost.

Back