oh! I thought this may have happened...

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
The ST never seemed quite right since I took it on the track at the Donny show. Turns out I was right.. Cyl no.4 is down on compression. Looks like it fried the headgasket. Thankfully I have a spare (ST) headgasket so guess what I'm going to be doing later.. It will be interesting to see if everything else is ok.

Ed

Oh blimey, not so good! But tbh, I'm surprised its lasted as long as it has.........!

Will you be running a FMIC soon, surely that would help?

It was the water getting too hot, not enugh cooling that has done this really. It will be intersting to inspect the block, and see how its all been. I think I may just take out the entire engine and gearbox although im not decided on that yet as its alot of work and I must have it sorted by the weekend!!!

well..its an old..small...highly tuned engine.somthing ad to give eventually :)

im sure it will come back to life even better ed whatever the damage is..keep us all up to date

Doesn't matter how old it is if it's kept in good working order with regular check's. And i'm sure Ed does that pretty often!!!

Hopefully you have spotted it before the damage has become extensive, is it just another standard gasket you wqill be putting on?

Yeah it will be a standard for now. I've been working on other stuff today, i'll get started tomorrow.

As I said in an eariler post I may just pull it all out to work on it easier. I would like to give it a clean up again as parts of the engine are a bit oily again, and its not easy to work on when in the car like that. I shall see how I feel as I only really have 3 days to get it all sorted unless I discover anything unsolvable (which is not really that likely) I was planning on pulling it off the road to do this in a few months anyway simply to see how the hell its coped so well with so much more power, and also to see what I can do if anything to improve it still further. One tihng on my mind is to perhaps modify the headgasket a bit to aid water flow over the head of the engine. cyl4 is the one that runs the hottest so it makes sense for it to be this one where the gasket would be most likely to fail. Its a bit unfortunate that this has happened when every spare penny I have is sitting in Fusion Motorsport meaning I really cannot afford this right now!

The head is off. First thing to sell those people who still dont believe me, the pistons are in perfect condition.. But I must say and I dont mean this lightly "Oh My Good God!" when I saw the state of the waterways (and headgasket) I have NEVER EVER seen anything like it, I am stunned beyond belief. This is a class A example of what happens if you store a car without antifreez (It was sat for 4 years) the headgasket is ROTTEN through, the water ways are SOLID with corrosion. I am so amazed im nearly speechless. I have no idea at all how it could have lasted so long..

As a side note, other than this I also have a perfect example of what happens when you put too much power through a stock headgasket. This engine is totally nuts. What has made me very happy however as I mentioned is the piston crowns are perect, there is no signs of melting or anything on them at all....

All I can say is WOW!!

I'm fitting a new ST headgasket for now. I've not had anything better made yet.

how long untill its running again, and with the corroded water ways are you going to rip them all out and install new ones?

just a good clean up with new gasket should sort it all right out :) Most of the corroded waterways were changed in the past, but this rad will be no good either, so I shall be swapping it for a spare one I have.

Ed

all i can say is omg at that headgasket, im surpised that its lasted this long with that headgasket rotten and all that power thats been pumped though the engine

Damn, that looks pretty corroded. That may explain why it was running hot all the time then?? Good job you took a look at it now before it was too late lol. :) Good news for the pistons though. :D

All clean.. http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/random/rot2/

The head is back on now, a new cam belt has been fitted and all the drive belts have been put back on. Tomorrow I need to sort out the down pipe as two studs snapped off - great fun, connect up all the supercharger pipe work again and then all the water cooling turbo feeds inlet manifold pipework and also the wiring loom. Hopefully it will all be ok! I also discovered a loose boost pipe when I took everything off which explains quite alot, and means the car should be back to its usual self by tomorrow afternoon.

Ed

Interesting stuff Ed! dont know too much about engines etc, especially that one but looks quite cool anyway lol

really intresting pics cant believe the sate it was in im amazed beyond words lol pistons look in perfect condition too! very nice :D

driven 50 miles on it and all seems fine. The fan cuts in exactly where it always has done (around 100deg C) but the running temp has dropped by about 10deg when on the move now.

Back