me and some friends have an idea...

wgc_daz

unlucky-racing.com
i saw a video recently of a leafblower on a throttlebody and it increased performance by 20-40bhp. i then was thinking about nos. and useing a scoober divers tank to release compresed air into the throttle body eather in the filter or into a cold air feed.

anyone thought of this before?

I've seen that video also. I figure all that was happening was more air was being forced into the engine. Then more flammable air.

I don't think a compressed air cylinder will releases as much air as a leaf-blower though.

I think essentially it makes a supercharger right?

I'm not 100% but I think they blow air into the car quicker, or they compress the air.

I know the objective is to get more oxygen into the engine.

Wikiepdia knows all!

A supercharger can be powered mechanically by a belt, gear, shaft, or chain connected to the engine's crankshaft. It can also be powered by an exhaust gas turbine. A turbine-driven supercharger is known as a turbosupercharger or turbocharger. The term supercharging refers to any pump that forces air into an engine, but, in common usage, it refers to pumps that are driven directly by the engine, as opposed to turbochargers that are driven by the pressure of the exhaust gases.

Supercharger runs on a belt, turbocharger forces compressed air into the throttle body :)

Leaf blowers not a bad idea though

Just had a little look atthis and apparently a Leaf blower doesn't blow enough at the high RPM.

Someone who tried it said that air was being sucked from around the leafblower at higher revs.

SO what I think would work here.

If you managed to get hold of an oxygen tank/ could replace this item easily. Then you could inject pure oxygen into the throttle body and that would increase combustion and give a boost.

But this is pretty much a nitrous system just using oxygen... So just fit nos?

Just had a little look atthis and apparently a Leaf blower doesn't blow enough at the high RPM.

Someone who tried it said that air was being sucked from around the leafblower at higher revs.

SO what I think would work here.

If you managed to get hold of an oxygen tank/ could replace this item easily. Then you could inject pure oxygen into the throttle body and that would increase combustion and give a boost.

But this is pretty much a nitrous system just using oxygen... So just fit nos?

Pretty much!

You've got to remember, a turbo also atomises the air as well as compresses it under pressure.
This allows more oxygen particles to get into the combustion chambers.

Also, because a supercharger runs from the engine, you lose something like 25% power due to the belt having to be driven from the engine...

....but of course, you do get a 75% increase! ;)

Supercharger is sort of, 1 step back 2 steps forward thing. Found a massive on in the parts store yesterday, bout twice the size of one you find on a Mercedes Kompressor engine. Figured it'd be no use seeming it would probably need more then my engine to run it.

Anyway, yes, engines use a rediculous amount of air. According to the haynes manual, the air fuel mixture for the micra is 0.1% (not sure if that's true), but if it is, then at 6000 rpm in a 1 litre engine, you're sucking in just below 3000 litres of air.

Yeah it would be as each turn is using half the engine sucking in half out.

but air is not 100% oxygen! Its about 20% iirc.

first of all using a leaf blower would distroy the AF ratio, you would need a more wide band sensor on the air intake that could cope with the increase in air, as well as injectors that could also cope with the extra fuel, and obviously an ECU map that could make sense of it all.

there is no point trying to think of new ways to boost an engine other than, turbo, super or nos. there are millions of highly skilled engineers working on this kind of thing all the time, and these are the best they have come up with so far.

people are always looking for a cheap performance boost but such a thing does not exist, you have to do things properly or you will damage the engine

DON'T inject oure oxygen, when oxygen comes into contact with most grease/oils it bursts into flame, sommat about a lower flash point, I found this out when using an oxy torch for the first time, thought I'd give it a spray into a strimmer engine to see how that went, it did not go well.

Getting the engine more air is only half the battle, you then need more fueling as well to get more power otherwise you get a lean mixture and melted pistons

That could work, but it'd have to be injected into the manifold to make sure it got in otherwise it'd spray out the air filter, then you'd have to make some sort of control system connected to the throttle.
Your insurance would go up cos you'd be carrying compressed gas, just fit a supercharger lol

i still say a leafblower would be very effective, n/a engines run at negative pressure most of the time (with atmospheric pressure being 1bar or 15psi, and the inlet tract being mostly under vacuum, 1/2bar ?) thats why even low boost forced induction setups have sooo much grunt, ie, 2psi of boost (at atmospheric pressure) is 9 1/2 psi more than an n/a that is running with 1/2bar of vacuum in the inlet.
so the youtube vid,s that show a 40hp gain at full revs, is only 1/2 the story imo ;)

would the blower not become a restriction somewhere up the rev range? if you have a 1litre engine running at 70%VE and 6000rpm, its sucking in 4200litres/min. i dont think a leaf blower could manage that, even if the engine was helping suck the air though...
if you want power in a can, get nos
if you want something to push air into your engine to produce more power, get a turbe or s/c.

Sometimes an N/A engine can go into a positive pressure.

However, forcing pure oxygen into an engine is danegerous Nitrous Oxide is the safe way of doing, the nitrogen and oxygen atoms split under the heat, and the oxygen burns with the fuel and the nitrogen carries away the heat.

Sometimes an N/A engine can go into a positive pressure.

However, forcing pure oxygen into an engine is danegerous Nitrous Oxide is the safe way of doing, the nitrogen and oxygen atoms split under the heat, and the oxygen burns with the fuel and the nitrogen carries away the heat.

i think a VE of over 100% is very hard to achieve, and yeh, pure oxygen would melt your engine in no time :eek:

i think a VE of over 100% is very hard to achieve, and yeh, pure oxygen would melt your engine in no time :eek:

impossible surely? maybe if you created greater vaccume in the cylendar from exhaurst scravenging? (not really sure what it has to do with whether a leaf blower would work or not though:S)
but what do you think to what i just said? you still think a leaf blower would work frank?

impossible surely? maybe if you created greater vaccume in the cylender from exhaurst scravenging? (not really sure what it has to do with weather a leaf blower would work or not though:S)
but what do you think to what i just said? you still think a leaf blower would work frank?

i think you can get `100+% with late inlet valve closing and high rpm ed, and i think a leafblower could feed the engine ok, especially at lower rpm (the cubic feet/min is very high, but the pressure is low, 2psi maybe ?)

i think you can get `100+% with late inlet valve closing and high rpm ed, and i think a leafblower could feed the engine ok, especially at lower rpm (the cubic feet/min is very high, but the pressure is low, 2psi maybe ?)

fair enough, still not sure about getting 100%VE but thats incidental:)
think we should get a little more practical about this:) anyone got a propper petrol leaf blower?

Back