For those of You with HIDs and decats.

I agree with the HID rule, they're just damn annoying and blinding.

And I'm sure cats have always been part of the MOT? Well "strict" emissions have been. Yet all my previous car's emission levels have had a striking resemblance to a 600cc Smart car :p

Making the mot tests too strict will just make people look at bent mots.

Some of those new rules are ludicrous

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

I have the H4 Bi-Xenon hids in mine the ones with the huge glare shields round them, I took it to an MOT place to have them aligned the other day, and they have said that the beam pattern is better than it was with the halogen bulbs alot sharper, There is no extra glare than there is with the halogen bulbs and if i was to have them in at the MOT time they would have no reason not to pass them, and I have never had any one flash me with them in, But then i went with 5000k Not stupid 8000K-12000K like all the boy racers around my way have..

To be honest, to me, most of those new regulations are common sense.

A few that I've picked up on however:
Visible wiring that is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short will also result in a failure as will wires bared by damaged insulation.
Be careful if you have an amp wired in, make sure it's all cable tied to something substantial, otherwise I'd imagine it would be quite easy to fall foul of that one!
It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions.
I'm almost certain that is directed at people fitting aftermarket bucket seats without fitting a correct frame.

i can see exactly what will happen here. car enthusiast MOT stations will do what they have always done and just make sure the car is safe and not obviously illegal, they will pass things that don't actually matter. some rally cars have to be road legal for stages, and often have fixed bucket seats that are correct for the driver, there is no need to have them adjustable, something like this would just get passed. these laws are made up by people who don't fully understand the car world and the technology, they are paid to make up rules so they justify their pay check by either stating the obvious or creating a rule about something they know nothing about.

the only thing will change is the list of things police can fine you for has now got bigger, notice they are things that police could check by the road, not things like failed emissions or headlight beam pattern.

i would launch into a rant about corruption and such but its nothing people haven't heard before

TBH im still gonna take my car to the same garages that me and my family have been taking our cars to for a long time, They know what they are talking about and have given lots of advise on our cars, latest being the HID's in mine, and They are for the idea of them so long as they are a reasonable colour temperature (6000K and under) and that they are correctly aligned. If you have never drivin a car with Hids then you might not understand but from someone that is really picky about lights I think they are great, not just because they look good more the fact that they light road signs up a lot further in the distance they light cats eyes up a lot further in the distance and also they light animals up that may be walking in the road a lot further in the distance giving you more time to react so in actual fact they are safer, so long as they are aligned correctly..

Decats have always been a fail. To get around the airbag one you need to put an airbag delete resistor into the plug (about 2 quid off eBay) as they can only actually test what is there and as long as the lights are owner king correctly I.e they come on with ignition but go off when you start they actually cannot do anything...

AFAIK Airbag light on is an advisory. It's the fact that it is clearly not fitted where it should be that can lead to a fail. Things that are not there can be tested, my sills for instance :)

Glad the airbag light thing's just an advisory, K12s are notorious for the dodgy underseat wiring that makes the warning light come on...

With regards to the stuff in which an airbag 'must be fitted', it might depend station to station but my local place rung VOSA about it and have been told that an airbag must be present if the steering wheel originally contained one, but a car can pass if a completely different steering wheel is fitted altogether. So my aftermarket Personal wheel passed no problems as there was no airbag light on and the wheel fitted isn't meant to be fitted with an airbag.

Register your cars on the Isle of Man.... No MOT's :)

is that a fact? because i could then own my cars in Sweden (where it is illegal to modify them) but pay the insurance and tax over the net, get the tax disk posted to Sweden, though it wouldn't be mandatory to display it as they don't have them here, and still mod my car any way i like and still be legal.... hmmm

is that a fact? because i could then own my cars in Sweden (where it is illegal to modify them) but pay the insurance and tax over the net, get the tax disk posted to Sweden, though it wouldn't be mandatory to display it as they don't have them here, and still mod my car any way i like and still be legal.... hmmm

Yes Nex im Manx (Isle of Man national) we dont have annual test's (only on public service vehicles)

If you bring a car in from the Uk etc thats over 3 years old you put the car through a one off test, like an MOT, before the car is first registered. Its a roadworthyness test & to the best of my knowledge doesnt cover emissions. Track & Rally cars are registed in the same that are imported with all sorts of mod's on them.

Might be something to look into, not sure on the full legalities

Yes Nex im Manx (Isle of Man national) we dont have annual test's (only on public service vehicles)

If you bring a car in from the Uk etc thats over 3 years old you put the car through a one off test, like an MOT, before the car is first registered. Its a roadworthyness test & to the best of my knowledge doesnt cover emissions. Track & Rally cars are registed in the same that are imported with all sorts of mod's on them.

Might be something to look into, not sure on the full legalities

awesome, i am so going do to that!

Back