Ceramic Coating

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Hi guys,
I was looking into ceramic coating my mainfold before I refit it, but I am a bit unsure of what it actually does.
Am I right in thinking it does a similar job to heatwrap?
i was thinking of getting it done like this: :D
rte_img_large_102.jpg

Cheers
Joe

its like heat wrap, but works better ;) lowrider has his stianless 4-branch manifold ceramic coated and it pass's the MOT with it and the second cat in place iirc. go for it, will look awsome :D

I've been quoted £300+ a couple of years ago for a ceramic coated manifold. I decided it wasn't worth that for my use....

Depends who you have it coated by of it you DIY. Camcoat offer several options and they do offer a good service but they use waterbased products which are cured in an oven at temperature. Zirkotec, (which is where the photo is from use a much better process for bonding the ceramic to the material, (plasma spraying), and it's also much thicker, so has better thermal properties.......however the cost is a lot more.

It's not something many people do, especially on Micras, as the cost of the ceramic coat can often be more than the manifold. But it does work much much better than heat wrap, which can significantly shorten the life of a manifold due to carbon migration, corrosion etc.

I'll be getting mine re-coated by Zirkotec later in the year, so I'll let you know what the bill is.....(won't be cheap though lol) ;)

Where did you have yours done originally Dave? I need to have a joint tigd on my stainless manifold before it goes back on after the MOT, so i thought i would look into this while it is off the car, especially as my mani is near on impossible to heatwrap, and ceramic coating looks nicer :D

Camcoat, however I wouldn't recommend them personally, as my cermakrome, (or however you spell it), has unfortunately started to crack after 2 years of abuse. Zircotech's, (thanks Ed for that spelling), bonding process is vastly superior to camcoats, so this is my next option when I have finished the latest drivetrain/ecu upgrades.

cool, may enquire for prices from zircowhatever then as I want it all done so I don't have to keep removing the manifold.

Back