Almera GTi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
I am buying one in a month or so, i will be selling the micra, but defo worth it,

just wondered if anybody on here has any experience/advice with what to look out for when buying one?

cheers,

Tom

sign up over at the almera owners club, im on there and there really friendly and helpful,

but as a pointer as ed says, rust and dents.

also if its got tonnes of miles check the engine for ratteles and the gearbox for clunks and noises

check it over like a micra really, you'll be ok. Rust, start up rattle etc. Its a good car to drive. I've had 2 and would have another any day as long as it was super clean.

Insurance will be fine trust me, i was only just 19 when i bought my first GTI ;)

When you first start it up there might be a slight rattle, its the timing chain tensioner...nothing to worry about if it stays for like 1-2 seconds, then it should sound sweet, its about £50-70 to fix yourself, so bare that in mind, its pretty common

Make sure you drive it, check for gearbox syncro problems as both of mine have had the second gear syncro ( will crunch into gear) You could get a replacement box for £40-£100

Check down by the rear seat belt mounts for rust and check the sills etc

All all the other checks you would usually do on buying a car :)

When you first start it up there might be a slight rattle, its the timing chain tensioner...nothing to worry about if it stays for like 1-2 seconds, then it should sound sweet, its about £50-70 to fix yourself, so bare that in mind, its pretty common

it's a ball ache to do though, id rather pay a garage. Or just let it rattle :]

rear arches - also check under boot carpet on the suspension and inner arch
then sills.

other than that brilliant cars!

ive had about 6 :S

But you've had them to do up and sell on or break have you not? They've not all been daily drivers.

nah 6 of them i did drive
if you count ones that were ######ed and breaking or damaged to repair then ive had about 11 :p

had 3 of each - mainly 2 as long term dailys though

the black phase1 and the blue phase 2 are the long duration ones

which model is it your looking to buy ??

phase 1
gti.jpg

gti004.jpg

phase 2
quicky001.jpg

quicky006.jpg

it's a ball ache to do though, id rather pay a garage. Or just let it rattle :]

Not really, pays to do it at the same time as an oil change as it involves taking off the oil filter, then its just 2 bolts...

i'm after a phase two, GTi :)

fond a black one on auto trader but the arches are pretty rusted, but its only done 46k..... what to do what to do?

also, are the driving position the same in all 'mera's? i want to sit in one just to check i find it comfotable after reading that they have an odd driving position...

Doesn't matter what car I would buy I will always do a full check for rust under sills, door, boot and a moss check I seem to have water cress growing in my micra, lol.

Or not then.

bloody student finance uk,

bunch of ###### aret giving my student loan so my savings has to go on my maintence up keep instead of my car now.

######.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back