Torque Tubes

Hi Guys,

Seen these about a bit on Autograss cars & was wundering if anyone knows the therory behind them, what they do?

$T2eC16Z,%21%29EE9s2uiOVlBQ8siHji,g%7E%7E60_12.JPG

just a plenum extender for an SU carb maybe paul ? a bit like EBB,s t/b stack ?

Was thinking along those lines Frank, more bottome end torqu that way?

Might experiment with a 45degree bend going into each of my carbs see if the channeling of the air inprooves the bottom end

My mechanic did a few articles about this on his Capri engine, he had really long inlet tracts, then started chopping them back whilst the car was on the RR, there is some mathematical formulae for optimum torque/bhp ratio, ill see if he's got his articles on PDF and mail them to you if you like? It's a bit of a dark art though!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

My mechanic did a few articles about this on his Capri engine, he had really long inlet tracts, then started chopping them back whilst the car was on the RR, there is some mathematical formulae for optimum torque/bhp ratio, ill see if he's got his articles on PDF and mail them to you if you like? It's a bit of a dark art though!

That'd be interesting cheers Dave, any idea on the PPC issue I should be keeping an eye out for? :)

Dunno actually, don't wanna seem too keen! Maybe next week although it may be later in the year as there is always a lag, mad ****er had a reliant robin that is now turbo'd, on Tbs, and running on ethanol! Blokes a mad scientist!

That's it Dave yeh I was just wondering how this improved torque ...
just down to airflow i guess, the inlet valve closes after bottom dead centre eh, and this causes reversion (more reversion on long duration cams).so a long narrow tract will create a faster airflow, and less reversion :) hence the common bunch of banana,s modern design mani,s

Dunno actually, don't wanna seem too keen! Maybe next week although it may be later in the year as there is always a lag, mad ####er had a reliant robin that is now turbo'd, on Tbs, and running on ethanol! Blokes a mad scientist!

I seen that very car at the autosport show a few weeks ago, beer barrel for a petrol tank!

That insane graphic on the side he pinched off me the git! He photo'd a sticker of mine and got his graphics made up!

just down to airflow i guess, the inlet valve closes after bottom dead centre eh, and this causes reversion (more reversion on long duration cams).so a long narrow tract will create a faster airflow, and less reversion :) hence the common bunch of banana,s modern design mani,s

Cheers Frank, would this make any difference if the longer tube was after the throttle butterfly? Or is the point it's between the inlet valve and tb?

Cheers Frank, would this make any difference if the longer tube was after the throttle butterfly? Or is the point it's between the inlet valve and tb?
dunno paul, i think is just a way to counter the inlet closing lag of a peaky cam, so you can cram extra air in during the high torque area (4k ish).
so running a race cam can create so much reversion that the powerband does,nt start till 5k, but the torquetube speeds up the airflow and cancels out some of the reversion i guess :)

dunno paul, i think is just a way to counter the inlet closing lag of a peaky cam, so you can cram extra air in during the high torque area (4k ish).
so running a race cam can create so much reversion that the powerband does,nt start till 5k, but the torquetube speeds up the airflow and cancels out some of the reversion i guess :)

Hmmm might be something to have a play around with before I go making an air box up, four 58mm bent pipes one to each carb going to a shared filter, spread up airflow to each carb bell mouth maybe...

I've not got extreme cams but it does take till over 4k in the higher gears for the action to start

Back