The shed would not start - help!

had the shed booked in for an MOT today but she wouldnt start!
i took out the plugs and dried them they were wet took the dizzy cap off and scratched the white stuff off the contacts checked leads were on ok. The rota arm looked a bit furry with white stuff. anyways after this it started and ran but was missing a bit when driving..:(i had to turn the distributer to the right (advance) fully just to get it to start? it's not been started for a few weeks. it's missing a bit as well under light throttle :down: I was going to take it for an MOT but its now playing up!

Just been down halfords new dizzy cap 6.99 new rota arm 6.99 not bad on the shelf fwn
just put them on and noticed the lead that goes in the coil was dirty + the socket it goes in cleaned them up and she fires up :p

i put the ignition timing back where it was (almost the middle) and went round the block, no more hesitating or misfiring :glare:

Good new it passed the MOT today

bad news is i had to advance the timing to full for it to start? :(

its pinking a little now

anyone know why i have to do this?

or what could be wrong with it.

right adjusted the timing so shes not pinking and shes still starting fine :grinning:

don't know why it didn't the other day, hope it stays like this as she's now fully legal :love:

update: week later the shed did play up a few times starting so i got some new HT leads and she has not played up once since and ive done 100+ miles with a few short journeys and cold starts :D

So it got new distributor cap (£7) new rota arm (£7) and new HT leads (£17) (Y)

viva le shed :D

update: November 9th now still happy
cold starts on the button warm starts on the button over 100 miles for £10 :love: cracking little car. viva le shed :D

What a lovely ending to the saga. Congratulations on your perseverance. The overall cost was not mega either. Here's to many more miles of hassle free MICRA motoring

Thanks, the K10 is going well now :love:

For xmas its getting some new antifreeze, 10/40 oil, oil filter, airfilter and new plugs.

that should be it for the next 5000k at least (Y)

Back