reversing matrix pipes

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
just need some advice
would the flow of coolant continue normally if i swapped the matrix coolant pipes for a little while--i am trying to agitate the matrix into flowing better as it seems blocked,so thought swaping the pipes would revrse the flow and? well thats why i'm asking
thanks

i think it will be fine, its just not optimum, i think the radiator fills from the bottom and exits at the top, if you do it the other way then the heat will be flowing the opposite direction to the water flow... or i could be completly wrong

it works the same one way or the other. the hot coolant is still going from the thermostat housing through the matrix and back to the coolant return pipe.

i tryed blowing down the top one and it wasnt free flowing
the bottom one is flowing good when blowing into it
will report back
thanks for the response

It may air lock. Also when you close off the heater settings from hot to cold It may also cut off the water supply through the matrix if i remember correctly.

few days now and getting better heat
maybe jetwash the thing,,,, so they get blocked up aye sleeper?,,,,the old thermostat was coverd up with limescale heavy

Reg I've not had a problem with a Micra before but cleared a few with the jetwash on cars where owners have felt the need to add radwelds or had head gasket issues before.If your car has a bad coolant history it may be partially blocked?Had loads of rusty water coming out on heater-less systems before.You can use the jetwash to do the whole cooling system.I chuck a flush in there for a few days before flushing...

I think its just airlocked too.
Try running the car at idle with the heater set to hot (and the heater fan off)
and the radiator cap off, not the expansion bottle, the actual radiator one.

Leave it idling until the cooling fan kicks in, adding water/coolant as necessary. Keep an eye on the temp gauge if you have one fitted. If it passes 3/4 turn the car off, leave it for 10 mins then start again. Every now and then give each of the heater hoses a squeeze to help things along. Don't be tempted to rev it up, just leave it!

When all the air is out of the cooling system the cooling fan should operate, the heater should blow hot and the temp gauge should be about half way.

No need to swap heater hoses!
Don't stick the radiator cap on until the cooling fan comes on.

Back