PistonHeads.com: Time To Get Cosy

Another waste of money. How sad!! It saves them only 8 min's, whoopee do, it prob takes them an extra 10 to pick the other person/people up!

Time I bought that blowup doll I've always wanted.

LOL!! Does seem like a waste of time & money to 'save' 8 minutes. How much time will you lose in disruption of building the extra lane? (taking the hard shoulder away).. and i imagine that'l cause more chaos when people break down.

If they want to ease congestion, just build a lane for people who like to hog lanes, then make it veer off a cliff / into the sea etc.

Carpool lanes have been proven to work well in the states so i'll be interested to see how the UK adapts to them

How do they work out your passengers?

Because if you have to stop and get "checked" it could take longer :p

Carpool lanes have been proven to work well in the states so i'll be interested to see how the UK adapts to them

I can't imagine why they'd need them considering there motorways are about 8 lanes wide! It just seems like alot of expense to save 8 minutes. If it was all the way up the M1, it might be a better idea

Ems put quite a valid point, you'd lose more than 8 minutes picking someone up.

It may only be 8 mins but 5 days a week that's 40 mins less your car would be running.
From an environmental point of view it's a great idea.

And that's assuming the traffic isn't too bad, i'd imagine if there was an accident the HOV lane would remain open if the crash wasn't in that lane, possibly saving hours.

Even "phantom" traffic jams have been known to cause hours of delays!

I love HOV lanes in California, especially the way they usually separate from the freeway and you sometimes get extra exits. On the freeway going past the Angels Stadium in Anaheim there's a special exit JUST for the HOV lane. Fined if you are in the HOV lane with only one person, AND (and this is the bit I like) fined if you enter or exit the HOV lane at ANY point other than a designated entry exit points.

Forgot to say I'd hate them hear because I do 30kmiles/year on my own. Wouldn't be worth dragging a passenger to a.n. other building site on the other side of the country.

Camera's probably could tell if your stuck in traffic. Our camera's can read the serial number on a tax disc. Failing that traffic or Highways would spot you and dob you in.

you'll probably find it has something to do with the traffic lights and drivers generally not paying enough attention. Traffic lights are inefficient: they make us wait at red even when no one is using the green. Time and again they interrupt our progress, often needlessly. Traffic lights go against our discretion, generate stress and provoke aggression. What happens when the lights are absent? Left to its own devices at junctions where the lights are out of action, traffic disperses without incident or delay. Free of rules, we approach junctions slowly and filter like we're supposed to do......therefore it must be the lights..

There is a major roundabout near to me which has 5 junctions and Traffic lights, approx 45000 vehicles use this everyday. Everyday there are tailbacks caused by the lights not changing quick enough. 2 weeks ago the lights failed for a while and guess what.......no tailbacks....

Offensive and discriminatory. If they had an "all whites" lane then there would be complaints, but this government seems to think its OK to discriminate against single people. How about putting some money into public transport instead? Grrrrrrrr........

Back