MOT costs

Maccy

Young K11-er!
She's booked in today, and I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with her.

Previous costs have been £40, will it be roughly the same if there's no faults?

Just wanted a quick clarify :)

Ta for the heads up, anything in particular I should check for before taking her down to the garage?

have a quick check of the front crossmember and the sills on either side for rust

also check for corrosion of the brake lines

thats all mine has ever failed on really

i've just paid £14.45 for my mot, with free re-test :). it's normally £19.45 at Formular one autocentres (national company, check their web site for prices around you) and they also sent me a £5 off voucher with my mot reminder.

My local garage charges the max price, something like £50.85? I don't mind 'too' much though as they do thorough check for the MOT :)

i paid £200, but thats cos i took it to a dodgy guy who will get it through with the mods ;) lol

lmao! i can see why you did that but surely that's not good in some ways! like finding hidden faults etc.

lmao! i can see why you did that but surely that's not good in some ways! like finding hidden faults etc.

lol well it was stupid things you know. the guy told me that he had to change the brake hoses, cos thats a safty thing. but he let the clear lights go through and the tinted indicators. cos i haven't had any problems with them... they are just stupid MOT rules, like no sunstrips....

Well I'm back and it ****ing failed!

5 things, one of which I'm unsure about.

1 - Offside registration plate lamb bulb not working
2 - Offside stop lamp not working - (I've just checked this with a friend and tapped the break pedal and apparently it's working fine grr )
3 - Offside rear (floor pan) suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
4 - Offside rear (outer sill) seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded.
5 - Nearside rear tyre has ply or cords exposed.

Number 5 I don't understand, can someone explain this to me?!?!?!

Am taking it back there Thursday to have it sorted - going to cost £354.79 sadly as there's a good 5 hours or so labour needed.

I'm very annoyed, to put it politely lol.

5 - Nearside rear tyre has ply or cords exposed.

Number 5 I don't understand, can someone explain this to me?!?!?!

It means you need a new tyre, the tread is gone and the banding under it is visible.

That's not a bad fail really, it should only take a day to sort.

Yeh it's booked in thursday, is the quote they gave me acceptable?

considering the welding I suppose it's reasonable for down there, but I would have a crack at the other stuff myself if I were you, it's all easy enough, and it could save you a lot off the bill.

Like changing the light bulbs?

They quoted £34.95 for the tyre which didn't seem too bad as I don't use performance tyres, considering I have no mods and it's a 1.0 litre.

your number plate lamp will either be a blown bulb or a bad connection, both of which are easy sorted, just the same for your brake light, as for a tyre, shop around, budget tyres for a standard K10 1 litre are about £20 fitted if you search around. If you can weld the repairs you are looking at are probably easily do-able try it, you might surprise yourself.

You can buy Toyo tyres from £40 each and fitting costs peanuts. £5 a wheel at some places! £35 for a standard one sounds very overpriced

Where is this guy? That's rather dodgy, and illegal...

true, but he wont pass it if its dangerous, it didn't pass first time cos the taiwan headlights, but he passed it with a sunstrip, and the numberplate sitting on the dash.

true, but he wont pass it if its dangerous, it didn't pass first time cos the taiwan headlights, but he passed it with a sunstrip, and the numberplate sitting on the dash.

i'd rather remove sunstrip and refit numberplate and save myself £185 :suspect:, my mot cost me £15 including a free re-test. :);)

£15 for an mot is crazy cheap! i can't believe that, most places round here charge the £50.35. as for the sunstrip i thought you were allowed 6 inches at the top of the windscreen? the spare wheel does not come into the mot at all, nor does the rear wiper blade, although they may feel obliged to recommend..

£15 for an mot is crazy cheap! i can't believe that, most places round here charge the £50.35

believe it baby! it's normally £19.45 from f1 autocentre in chesterfield (national company), and they sent me an mot reminder cos i had it done there last year, and it had a £5 off voucher on it. woooo hooooo :):):)

so it was actually £14.45

here's their site to see if there's one near you (the prices do vary fron place to place).

http://formulaoneautocentre.com/

Back