Mods

Alfonze

Ex. Club Member
What do I need to declare as a mod when I renew my insurance

as far as I know all I will have is alloy wheels and that air filter thing, does changing leds count as a mod that needs to be declared?

well im with quinn direct and when i spoke to them yesterday about my suspension and bodykit, aparently i didnt have to declare my kit as it isnt 'proformance enhancing'
the lass on the phone told me stuff like bodykits, tints, interia, wheels, etc dont have to be declared unless they raise the value of the car that you stated to them when you took out your policy.

hope it helps

Will that air cone filter need to be declared as all it does is make it sound louder, dont increase BHP as far as I know. Alloys may raise the cars value a bit not much so I might not even bother declaring them as there not performance mods. Same car just looks nicer.

well thaqts with quinn so prob still best to callthem but mine has a stated value of 2k, so on a 300 squid car a bodykit isnt going to push it over 2k is it lol.

what she told me was things that make ur carlook 'nicer' dont have to be declared providing it doesnt raise the value, but all proformance enhancing parts do, even tho when i said it was lowewd and is classed as a proformance enhancing mod, it didnt increase my premium.

i think with most insurance companys they class mod's like pro engine parts, or central locking if you car didn't have any at first, same with electic windows, i think they count alloys but only if there newish

I rang around for insurance today and several wont insure because of the air filter... I was more than a little peed off. fair enough if it was a nitrous turbocharger thingy but for an air filter? Apparently its a performance modification/engine modification so they wont insure you.

A lot of places won't insure 'performance' mods if they estimate the gains to be over a certain bhp. Tesco asked me the value of each modification and the gain they gave.

Alloys are fine if they're lower than £200
Exhausts/air filters etc all fine if they don't gain over 5bhp

You won't need to declare any nissan alloys as they could have been fitted from factory - The same for any body kits or spoilers that may have rolled out off factory floor.

If you have any doubts though, ask your provider on what they do and don't cover.

If you paid less than a few grand for the car i wouldnt bother for minor things if it increases your premium. If you crash theyll try n screw u anyway :)

Your insurance provider will know ALL about your car in the event of a claim though so if you replace the steelies with micra alloys they will know about it. And they will probably kick up a fuss about it in the event of a claim. Well, Direct Line would, the b**tards.

With performance mods, the insurance will still pay out a claim, but if they can prove the mod was a contributing factor to the accident then they will take you to court to cover their payments.

With visual mods, kits, tints, alloys, ice, etc. They all will affect your insurance as it makes it more desirable to theifs.

Right I just telephoned my insurance and wih the mods declared its a additional £20 a month which makes it like £70 fully comp with alloys and a air filter. Thats rediculous

Would having a Strut brace constitute being a MOD? What about better Brakes?
It makes the Car handle a lot better than before therefore being safer to drive or would the Insurance company take the view that because it makes the car handle better and stops better that it means that i'd drive my 20 year old car like i stole it? :laugh:

I've never declared mods like Air filters, what's the point? If the Car has some expensive wheels on then yes i would declare them and real power MODs like Turbos, Superchargers and NOS and Posh ICE installs would also be declared. Changing the Air filter will not make a lot of difference in power, it'll make the Car breath easier but unless there's an Exhaust to back it up.......

You have to give these Insurance companies some credit in the way they get their Business. you tell them your Car is Cat-1 Alarmed, Garaged, in a catagory 2 area (low car crime rate) driven less than 3000 miles a year by a 40 yr old with no claims for over 10 years they STILL take the p*ss by quoting over £400 fully comp! :suspect:

My mind boggles.......:laugh:

just go for a K&N panel filter in the standard airbox with an improved air feed, its just a standard replacement then and still gives you a performance increase.

No point my insurance aint due till july I rang them trying to behonest but its not always worth it, it seems.

Back