Micra that thinks its an automatic...

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Have found another strange thing on my car, not sure if its supposed to be doing this or not...

Sometimes I'm driving and it will carry on without any pressure on the accelerator. I've only noticed this a couple of times, driving v slowly in second. I know its not just rolling as today I got it round a mini roundabout and up a gentle slope, without touching the pedal!

Both times I've noticed this it has been shortly after starting off, so I wonder if its got something to do with autochoke? The garage looked at it recently (as it had been idling too fast) and lubricated the autochoke linkages, changed fuel and air filter, and its running really smoothly. Still eats a lot of petrol around town though, I think about 25mpg. :glare:

Any ideas?

What RPM does it idle at when cold? or does it sound excessivly high? Is the throttle cable sticking?

Ed said:
What RPM does it idle at when cold? or does it sound excessivly high? Is the throttle cable sticking?

can the gromit pop out like the lil plastic bit on the clutch holding the cable in tension (if that makes any sence)

No idea what the rpm is, as it doesnt have a counter. It often sounds too high though, but if you rev it up it usually drops down to sounding more normal. I think the clutch is ok, it was replaced less than a year ago. Mate adjusted the cable a couple of weeks ago but it was idling fast before that.
Sticky throttle cable sounds likely - is that easy to sort with some WD40? Dont want it sticking when I'm going any faster!

Will have a look tomorrow. Are the flappy thingys to do with the throttle cable, or are they part of the autochoke? Will putting some Redex down the holes help un-stick the cable? I've got a bottle of it but wasnt sure which hole, or just to chuck it down all of them...

Had a look at the throttle cable earlier, seems to have plenty of lubrication (on the bit I can see) but wondered whether the spring that pulls it back might need replacing? Or the whole cable replacing?

Drove about 50 miles today and the 'creep' has got quite noticable, sometimes you can pull away from standstill without touching the pedal! Cant imagine its doing the brakes much good either...

Back