Micra Square Shape

hissyfizzy

Ex. Club Member
I have been given a nissan micra the early shape. Went out today to go for a spin and nothing nothing at all just the weeeeeeeeer of the engine no fire at all

Had the RAC out they spent ages still no go said it was the carb gasket "huh" ok found that got a new one put all together no go still

There is petrol in the tank and spark at the plugs but no go anyone got any suggestions

Called the chap i got it from he said it had new points/rotor/cap/leads/head gasket So all those are known good old coil with a small silver thing on the side

Help please

Hissyfizzy

I don't think it is as there is no smell of petrol after trying to run the car ! Both Primary jets are clear though and theres petrol in the glass window.

Hissyfizzy

Called the chap i got it from he said it had new points/rotor/cap/leads/head gasket So all those are known good old coil with a small silver thing on the side

Help please

Hissyfizzy

You shouldnt always asume that new parts arent at fault it may not be as likely but its still possible that their the problem. (Y)

Micra Square shape not starting

You shouldnt always asume that new parts arent at fault it may not be as likely but its still possible that their the problem. (Y)

Fuel pump is pumping fuel,came out in a good strong spray. Compression test is going to be done tomorrow.

both main jets are clear, not sure if there are any other jets in the carb car conveniently came with a manual , or parts of manual.

If the filter was blocked there wouldn't be any petrol getting to the carb ? right or wrong? The window in the carb is full of petrol there is not a smell of petrol when the accelerator pedal is pressed I cant see any petrol coming out of the jets either from both tubes

hissyfizzy

i would tip a little petrol down the carb and if it runs for a few seconds then dies, its gotta be a fuel problem

It will splutter try to run then quit. Both primary jets are clear, I blew air and WD40 through them both sprayed out of the venturi's. On the car the fuel won't come out of the venturi jets

So for a rundown on things checked...
DizzyCap
Leads
Head gasket
Fuel Pump ok
Carb window- petrol viewed
Main Jets ok

Make sure all the Electrical plugs are clipped together properly, check earth wires for splits, corrosion....

My Guess? Coil i would think...i had a similar problem...starts, runs then stops.

I Changed the Coil which cost me 18 quid and all is well again
Buy a new condenser costs around £1.75....silver thing

of course i may be wrong.....:glance::wasntme:

Dizzy is usually responsible for intermittent running when the car is up to temperature. You can hear from the noise the engine makes when its mis firing. It'l eventually get to the point you'l stall pulling up to Junctions, it won't start after it's just been driven, and it'l start to back fire. From what you write, it sounds like this could be it.

You mention the car has points. You should change this for a dizzy which has electronic ignition, found in all facelift engines.

Carb however can cause several random running problems too, so you might wanna replace this if the Dizzy swap doesn't fix it.

Square shape micra

Dizzy is usually responsible for intermittent running when the car is up to temperature. You can hear from the noise the engine makes when its mis firing. It'l eventually get to the point you'l stall pulling up to Junctions, it won't start after it's just been driven, and it'l start to back fire. From what you write, it sounds like this could be it.

You mention the car has points. You should change this for a dizzy which has electronic ignition, found in all facelift engines.

Carb however can cause several random running problems too, so you might wanna replace this if the Dizzy swap doesn't fix it.

I'm now really confused I dont understand how the car isnt going because the coil or dizzy is dead !? If I get the later dizzy is it a simple switch over or do I need little black boxes to make the car run.

You going to have to explain how a dead coil/Dizzy is going to stop petrol getting into the engine.

the car doesn't start cold

You already said there was fuel though?

Fuel pump is pumping fuel, came out in a good strong spray. both main jets are clear

What happens when you turn the key, does it try and start up or just turn over for ages with stuttering? That would be the Dizzy. Otherwise, the problem is probably with the carb.

hang on a second here just read the thread and i think the point has been missed completly.

just confirm this for me, will the car start at all? (will it even turn over?) if you keep your foot on the throttle will it keep going, but then die when you let of the throttle? ignore all these posts about changing things we need to find the fault first.

Ok to update the car is turning over on the starter, if fuel or another fluid is poured direct down the carb it will splutter into life then quit, it will not run on it's own power as there seems to be no fuel being squirted from the two venturi jet things, although these are clear. It does not start if the throttle is pushed/pulled it only tries to start if fuel/fluid is poured directly down the carb

There is fuel in the filter and little window in the carb, there is spark from the plugs the car is not starting on it's own though it is turning over

I would like the consider changing the distributor anyhow as the condensor is supposed to be on the outside of the case but this one is inside next to the points

sounds like the carb is at fault then if fuel is not getting through whats the millage? after about 90k the carbs ideally need to be stripped down and replaced however thats a waste of time when you can get one from a scrappy for £10. if theres spark then the fueling MUST be at fault.

The mileage is a genuine 42,400. Going to get a new carb, where do you get one for £10? I've been quoted from £45 to £800, was nissan genuine.

Where is the fuel line? the fuel is getting to the window in the carb.

Between the pump and the carb but if you're gettin fuel in the window it's all good. Go to a scrapyard for a carb, or put a wanted ad on here or look on ebay.

Ive got the carb squirting fuel in to the engine, it started to run on it's own power just very slowly then quit. Battery is now flat so can't run the car anymore.

Ive got the carb squirting fuel in to the engine, it started to run on it's own power just very slowly then quit. Battery is now flat so can't run the car anymore.

must have been a blockage somewhere then, id get the filter changed as a matter of course in case it happens again. this sometimes happens when the car is run to near empty and the crap at the bottom of the tank finds it way into the fuel line.

charge the battery and it should be fine by the sounds of it....

I took the accelerator cable off and kept pumping, there is a nice squirt from the little brass jet to the side of main venturi.

Not sure if the acceleration will return as it hasn't got any but that could be the cable i took off.

Battery on charge now

Square shape

No the car is not running still it will turn over and attempt to run provided the key is still being turned. The carb is not squirting fuel from the venturis but from what seems to be a boost injector, to the left of the primary under the choke flap

Looks like it's a new carb time

You say about that. I read some of your footnotes that you have done very interesting things to your cars can someone tell me what engines, and from what cars, can fit without much welding or modifications

Are bike carbs legal? what bikes would I need them from

You say about that. I read some of your footnotes that you have done very interesting things to your cars can someone tell me what engines, and from what cars, can fit without much welding or modifications

Are bike carbs legal? what bikes would I need them from

Most engines can be fitted with little modification. some one else will know more.

The bike carbs can be off any bike with an engine bigger than 600cc, these can be found very cheaply off ebay.
The only problem is manifolds but if you can weld that'll be sorted and you will get a load of BHP.

Update time again If my dizzy has quit what effect will I see? I've got the car running but have had to advance the timing almost right the way over on my distributor Clamp plate (according the manual) there are marks in the centre where I guessed the timing was but mine has another mark this one looks like factory mark the pointy bit is almost sitting on that now and not where it was when i got the car

take your airfilter off, put your hand over the carb and turn the engine over a couple of times. If you get petrol on your hand then petrol is coming out of the jets, it will also put a bit of petrol in the cyclinders to help it start.

Ryan.

I've got the car running, although it sounds rough and to get it to run I have to pump the accelerator half a dozen time turn the engine over it fires on second or third blip of the key then I have to keep pumping till the revs pick up or the engine will die. At first the engine runs really slowly after another dozen or so pumps it picks up and runs happily but if I blip the throttle the engine will shut off but at least its running.

If anyone has had this problem then please let me know or if you know of the problem. I'm guessing the carb is on the way.

Back