Fuel enhancement

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Ok I'm trying to get some ideas for fuel enhancements to give a bit of a boost.
There's the obvious Nitrous but those kits are expensive so what else can be used.

I was thinking a small amount of nitromethane delivered by a fogger in the air intake, of course this could produce explosions and stuff so maybe not.

What have people tried?

You really can't expect gains if your not prepared to part with the cash. Cheap addons such as octane boosters can infact reduce performance. Also, any cowboy cheap installations could potentially damage the engine or safety of the vehicle.

I would say Nitrous is really the only thing you should consider, but it's not, because if your not prepared to part money for that, you should bin this idea immediatly.

I don't mind the 400 odd for the nitrous but then you have to strengthen the engine etc. I was just wondering if anyone knew any proper ways of getting the same power boost.
Those octane boosts aren't any good, already made that mistake with my lawnmower.

Neither of you should know that judging by the ages on your profiles! :p

I suppose you're right, at our age we should only be on cider in the park.

I was just wondering if anyone knew any proper ways of getting the same power boost.

The proper way is to do it properley, and not cut corners to save cost! Your best bet if you want power is you

A) Custom Inlet / Outlet manifold & reprofiled camshaft
B) Buy a more powerful car

The proper way is to do it properley, and not cut corners to save cost! Your best bet if you want power is you

A) Custom Inlet / Outlet manifold & reprofiled camshaft
B) Buy a more powerful car

I'll stick with the manifolds then. I'd never get another car, I love my Micra, it's just like the girlfriend I'll never have....

fifth gear has already done a thorough test on those octane booster products on the market and all of them gave a 2% performance decrease.......so dont get robbed!

olly wait till you're older and get a faster car, leave the rocket science to the scientists! lol

Lol this is the only car I plan on owning. My next mode of transport will be a quad and I can't see myself with anything else after that.

I thought the same when I was your age, but when you realise you can get cheaper insurance on fast things It changes everything! I'm getting an Almera GTi soon, I bet you change your mind at some point!

Yeah, well I always dreamed of sommat horribly powerful with a slidey back end and a noisy V8. Need a pay rise first though...

Micra all the way! going for the ST when i can afford the insurance :D

will move on to somthing more beastly eventualy but i must experience an ST
then maybe a lambo when i'm earning my millions lol!

Don't tell them it's an ST, if they look under the bonnet look shocked and yell 'how did that get there? :O:O:O'

Disturbing video footage, when i had my motorbike accident i went into a car like that, but luckily i went over the roof and (got away?) with two broken femurs, broken tib and fib, broken foot, and broken wrist, sounds like a lot, but if i'd been on a sports bike i guess that would have happened.

There's worse ways to die. At least on a quad there's a chance of being chucked from the wreck. In a car you can get pinned down.
Anyways I don't plan on crashing into the back of an Astra

Don't get me wrong Olly, I'm a biker myself and have been for 27 years, and have ridden quite a few quads and trikes off road (including the infamous Honda ATC250 in 1982, INSANE) but road going quads are really unsafe and unstable mate, you're safer on a bike and they're more fun, I just wouldn't want to see you hurt mate.

A bike is an option but a quad seems more stable.
A quad is fine on the road but you need to lean right. Quads are quite a physical ride or you will always be cornering on 2 wheels lol.
I might still get a bike but quads have more road presence.

You could try rigging up a can of "easy start" to spray into the air intake... i tried it on one of my old motorbikes (not while moving).. when i sprayed it in the engine picked up quicker and was more responsive! i dunno how long it would live as i sold it a few days later lol. but defo made it rev faster!! hahaha

I love easy start, I use it wherever possible but no, not while moving. Good for starting barbecues/ trimming eyebrows.

Fill up with Optimax or the Highest RON fuel you can get your hands on.....maybe some of that expensive go-go juice :grinning:..it'll take about 3 tanks worth to see any improvment tho' and keep checking the Plugs throughout the process :)

Higher octane fuel won't boost the perfomance of your engine, but in the case of stuff like BP ultimate and V-Power i noticed that i got more miles to my tank when on motorbike, so i'm guessing that its something to do with the purity of the fuel?
On my old 125 i'd get 128ish miles to a tank on normal fuel, and 155 - 160 on BP ultimate.

High octane does boost the performance of the engine, it burns more efficiently, therefore giving more power per revolution of the engine, so you don't need to use as much throttle to get the same output as with a lower octane fuel.

Learn something new everyday, i'm always reading articles on engine tuning and they always seem to mention that unless you have a very tuned engine, high octane is a waste of time.

I'm guessing its quite a small perfomance increase on a car like the micra?

You need to change the timing for the higher octane. It doesn't matter getting the extra octane if you aren't getting the extra air.

An extremely small gain, not really worth bothering with for the price difference.

As written above somewhere, they were tested on 5th gear and were shown to make a loss in bhp. I watched that one too.

I wonder how giving the engine a full service would improve performance.
Like major engine work, head gasket, piston rings, change all replaceable components.
Might bring it up to it's original BHP. Then I can do manifolds and a new carb.

A general service should make a difference. If you don't look after the engine, it's not surprising it'l produce less power! I imagine head gasket and other things only really need changing if they're nackered!

My dad changed his water pump in his 3.0 V6 and it gave him loads more power. I'm not sure how it worked but it did. How could components like that affect performance?

No, the old one was rusted pretty solid, I dunno how it worked, that's why I'm asking. I suppose it was causing a drag on the engine.

LOL. This particular engine is worth another 10BHP if you remove the fan. Heavy stuff is bad. Might remove the alternator...

Back