Engine Torque Dampers

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Just wondering what peoples opinion on these are. I know they aren't readily available for our cars...but i could always enquire / see about making a kit up if the need / demand was there.

Not saying its going to go any further than this discussion...but was just something im curious about. :)

solarice

i would sooner use one instead of poly engine mount,s (surely the poly bushes make the car buzz ?).
but i doubt if you would need one on an n/a k11

They do make for a great cosmetic mod even if they dont make a difference performance wise. Was thinking not long ago about how difficult it would be to fit one to a k11

robb

i bet one of those would fit a treat where the plastic front engine mount goes (the bracket,s are already there, and it does sweet fa anyway)

Attachments

• PICT0102.JPG
    PICT0102.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 236
  • PICT0103.JPG
    PICT0103.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 174
A universal damper would probably do the job (would have to test them i guess) and are actually similar to the ones ive already been looking at...bracketry would go from strut tower (drivers side) to engine mount...ive previously seen a mounted pic so i know they fit and work on the k11's.

Tell you what i'll make up a cardboard template, to try give a visual aid. :)

if it turns out people want them (even if its for looks :D), ive got a cad package so laser cut parts are easy for me to do.

solarice

i think you,ll find that most of the engine movement is lower down, in the g/box area.
if i rock my car back and forth in 1st gear, i can see a lot of movement in that sliding front lower mount

yeah i know what you mean...i was saying where the one in the pic ive seen was fitted...which seems to be where most of the kits also go to.. :)

i would of thought so long as they were pointing in the correct direction, it should work though yeah?.

RWD movement and damper direction : Left/Right

FWD movement and damper direction : Front/Back

Edit: as smallest damper is about 6inch long.. :)

solarice

yeh sure, but the top mount sit,s inside a cradle eh, and can only move about 8mm max, i bet the g/box mounts move about 20mm every time you drop the clutch (maybe more when your s/c is working :grinning: )

The torque mount on my Volvo is on the top, but I think that the side mounts are lower than on the Micra, though.

Craig

Back