Confusion about tacho signal

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Right I have connected my rev counter signal to the negative on the coil, aftermarket coils come with the signal wire connected to the negative.

However I have heard of people connecting to the dizzy and even the alternator.

Why haven't their cars blown up? lol.

How can you get a rev counter reading off the alternator! if anything, the rev counters wouldn't work correctly. I know people talk of wiring them up to the dizzy, and even the HT leads (mad!) but don't know of anyone who's actually done this

My mate connected it to the alternator in his clio, I told him he is an idiot but he won't have it.
People are sayin their dizzy is giving out the correct signal but surely this is thousands of volts goin to their tacho?
I know for certain of one person that has done it and one that is about to do it.

Well i'm not sure about thousands but certainly more than the rev counter was designed to deal with im sure! Then again, the rev counter reading on the K11 is taking from near the dizzy i think, which is safe, so maybe your mate's clio is the same.

Thread moved back to General as it's not k10 specific :p

My K10 1990 ls has electronic ignition,

and my rev counter is not working either!:down:

i have connected the black to negitive, red to power, blue to the one side of the coil, and yellow to the light system, its a yazaki rev counter, quite old, out of my dad's drag racing car!

any ideas??

:k10:

'Right side of the coil' is a bad way to describe it. It could be upside down, or a different style coil altogether. Use the Negative side of the coil for the signal, nothing else.

You can use the alternator! On our MOT gas analyser it has a tacho connection that you stick on the battery and it measures the rev's from there.
I can remember the instructor talking about this wen i was last at our training centre - but cant really remember what he said!

Back