collapsing rear axles.how common is this?

not long before my kid got his k11 the previous owner had the rear axle replaced,as it rotted and collapsed on the nearside.and the car i sourced some goodies from a few weeks ago had died from same thing.ive had a scout around the forum to see if anyone else has had this issue,as im gonna weld in some strengthening on my kids k11s' rear axle.so is it a common issue or am i just being a bit'belt and braces'?

Don't think its common allthough I've only heard of it once as a forum member here had the same problem and needed help to know the proceduresof changing the rear axel etc!! But to have it done twice I guess its just bad luck!! Also it depends in the driver of the car like how much he\she avoids water puddles that may cause water ingress and water lodged only for time given to rott the rear axle!! If I ad this, (touch wood - on me head) I'd get another axel, shot blast it and get it powder coated know that atleast some protection is there on the rear axel or at least clean up all the crap over the rears and hammerite paint it then fit it!! At least its a piece of mind that you know you've done some weather protection of all elements on it!!

J

Don't think its common allthough I've only heard of it once as a forum member here had the same problem and needed help to know the proceduresof changing the rear axel etc!! But to have it done twice I guess its just bad luck!! Also it depends in the driver of the car like how much he\she avoids water puddles that may cause water ingress and water lodged only for time given to rott the rear axle!! If I ad this, (touch wood - on me head) I'd get another axel, shot blast it and get it powder coated know that atleast some protection is there on the rear axel or at least clean up all the crap over the rears and hammerite paint it then fit it!! At least its a piece of mind that you know you've done some weather protection of all elements on it!!

J
+1 for this I'd do it with any car weather its common fault or not at least clean and hammerite it the drain holes could be getting blocked some how abd holding water? Does he drive kn dusty or muddy roads?

i,ve seen a few, here,s a neglected x reg one, you just need to protect them from rust is all :)

axle.JPG

Not sure if i imagined this, but was there mot a theory that there was batch issue with this issue hitting cars around the x reg age?

well,my kids is a v-plate(hence the username)but the car i rifled was an X.however it wasnt the spring perches that went.they were both on the bend of the tube axle.sorted now anyway.welded some steel on both sides and a liberal coating of black enamel should keep the tin-worm at bay

What can I use on my to brush paint I if I jack the car up and paint it on to stop the "tin-worm"

LEEEEEAVVVEEE ITTTTT YEAHH!!!

a
What can I use on my to brush paint I if I jack the car up and paint it on to stop the "tin-worm"

LEEEEEAVVVEEE ITTTTT YEAHH!!!
a few different things.from good old black household gloss thinned down a bit with white spirit,thru black hammerite,or even black bitumen(underseal)although that wont be the prettiest finish.imo gloss is the best option for a few reasons...
1) its dirt cheap.
2) the enamels and oils that make it up have excellent rust stopping properties(they paint warships in it after all).
3) its easy to work with and you dont really need to worry about a primer .
4) its easy to clean up overspills afterwards.a spot of white spirit and job done.

whatever you do use,clean the area up beforehand with a wire brush or some stiff steel wool.and most important of all.....make sure the area is bone dry.get under it with a hairdryer if need be.if you dont youll trap any moisture beneath the paint and the rust will work away from the inside out.not good.

hope this helps

Bear in mind you should wear an air fed respirator for spraying 2 pack. The isocyanates will cause occupational asthma, nasty stuff.
You may be better with a traditional coach enamel ;)

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bear in mind you should wear an air fed respirator for spraying 2 pack. The isocyanates will cause occupational asthma, nasty stuff.
You may be better with a traditional coach enamel ;)

It does make you cough a bit, and make your eyes water,:eek: other than that ... lasts a lifetime.

Yeah, the paint lasts a damn sight longer than your lungs if you breathe it ;)

We used it on the changing room floors of my local footy club, lasted 28years before we had to re-do them this season, not bad when you think of studs etc walking all over it.

We used it on the changing room floors of my local footy club, lasted 28years before we had to re-do them this season, not bad when you think of studs etc walking all over it.
That's my sort of painting schedule :D

Jen, don't you live in Portsmouth ? You must know some-one in the shipyard, nudge, nudge.....wink, wink.

My brother actually work in Southampton cleaning boats and painting anti-foal on them, prepping to be sold :p

There are loads of Chandllerys around here...Gospot, Portsmouth, Southampton, Botley, Hamble...
...anywhere there's people throwing wads of cash into a hole in the water really :p

Edit:...can't find a stockist for 2 pack locally though :oops:
you can get a tin 3ltr tin of proper anti-foul paint for £60

Back