CB radio

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Just dug out my CB, gunna go drill some holes in my car this weekend.
Old skool:
01-08-07_2254.jpg

i still use one

nice i still use a harrier cbx,150watt burners and a k40 aeriel bolted to my work shop roof.turn it on now and again but there's not many on there apart from farmers in the daytime.
I used to be well into it about 10 years ago,used to spend alot of time on usb 27555...at that time a had a home base setup which was a uniden 2830 with some zetagi b300p and a antron 99 way above my house,,,,,,,used to get all over the world...

We used to have a few CB things, including a silver rod aerial which was enormous! could pick up stuff from miles away. Also some hand helds, echo microphones and other bits. Great fun! i think CB is now licence free too.

CB has always been licence free hasn't it. I know you need one for HAM radio but under 4 watts you don't. Not enough people use CB, I really only use it for listening to the security at various places.

Ooh wish I'd know that back when I started, lol.
I'm trying to get the local cruise to start using them, it'd be good to know who is in the area. Only problem is the start up cost. I sold my first one for £20 cos I didn't know what they were worth. lol.

Excellent thread! Was well into my cb's. and Ollie you don't really want to go driving around with that one in your car, its a multi mode and the police will have it from you (not CB27/81 compliant) It also does not have UK normal band on it, so you'll be missing half the UK channels.

Met alot of friends on CB, many of who I still see. :)

I need to get a new one really, this one was given to me, I only took it cos it had loads of channels I've never heard of. It has FM channels 1-79 isn't this UK? I'm still pretty new to this.

After opening it up I see there has been some serious modification too. Should I get rid of this radio before it gets me in trouble? lol.

No thats not uk, That tristar is a nice rig worth around £80 or so. I would probably put it aside untill you know more about it. If you can get a pic inside i may know whats been done to it.

It brings back memories this thread, I used a Midland with upper/lower channels and full sideband with a 150 watt burner through a 30' silver rod aerial using the chainlink garden fence as a ground plane, all on the AM, I could reach as far as Italy, the east coast of America and occasionally Canada, it was all totally illegal, but it all was when I was on it back in 1982.

listening to the police on a scanner (which is much harder now than you think) is definitely not legal. In fact even listening to a pirate radio station is technically illegal.

Maybe not then... lol. The mod to my radio looks to be a chip of some kind soldered to various parts (it's hard to tell cos it's covered in tape).

didnt the peelers change to digital to stop people listining to them....cb great in there day 1980 why would you want to use these again......saw and used these first time around happy days then........so in the spirit of things 10 10 till we do it again......3 2 1 whoosh im gone

My k10 when i was 19 lol

Attachments

• 0202.JPG
    0202.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 242
the cheapest rig in 1980 was a comtron totally crap had a price tag of about 50 quid the am rigs that everyone used and wanted was the cobra,s great....

Before my mates and i had cars, we used to put the CBs on Pushbikes. I slapped a Rack on mine then put a K40 aerial and magmount on it. The Radio was powered by 2 X 6V Batteries from some plastic yellow flashing highway lights borrowed on a non returnable basis....oh what fun we had....:laugh:

The radio i had was an International multimode III, AM/FM, Upper and lower bands and with toooo many channels...and extremly illegal! lol!

...and we did have to get a licence...it was £12 :).....then...

wow that reminded me how I had a rig on my push bike too at one stage hahaha. Compleately forgot about that. Did a school walk once too with a midland portapak and others had hand held radios. Still got them that was quite amusing.

Me and my 2 brothers used to have so much fun listening to the police in the Oxford city centre!! We've still got the scanner, in it's original box etc. It's the Realistic Pro-2004 Programmable AM/FM 300-Channel Scanner Receiver. Was very good!!

I remember my dad bought my brother an expensive pair of walkie talkie's in the 80's too, we managed to get the Police rather annoyed. lol!!

I bet you may have thought it was police but in reality wasnt haha :)

you were a kid, you would have believed what ever they said :p :p lol

We still have a realistic radio scanner, can pick up police, CB & mobile phone calls. I've also got an airband which picks up Airport communication, police and marine activity! I remember when i was younger listening to a police chase on the airband once, and the helicopter was involved (had a codename but cant remember what) Pretty cool stuff!

Our CB had 40 channels, and we had handhelds too but weren't very good. my mate went up the south downs with it once and we all listened in from home.

Our silver rod was about 30 feet long too! went all the way up the stairs, through the loft and to the top of the house. We had a booster on it too which everytime we transmitted, used to interfere with TV signals

Ahh i see it's for your car! the one i linked would be no good (20 foot long LOL)

Have a search on Ebay / Internet for Mag Mount

I wanna get a stud mount, they are around 20 quid for everything. My mates mag mount was dismounted by someone and he never saw it again.

Back