car wont start

easy as pie...open both bonnets....put the red lead on both the positive bits on the battery and then black lead on both the negatives...then start the engine with the good battery. and then go and start ur engine...then disconect the elads and leave ur engine running for a bit

easy as pie...open both bonnets....put the red lead on both the positive bits on the battery and then black lead on both the negatives...then start the engine with the good battery. and then go and start ur engine...then disconect the elads and leave ur engine running for a bit

thats wrong one black goes on the negetive the other bit goes on a metal bit in the engine bay to earth a the car

Doesn't matter.

All earths on the car go back to the negative battery on the terminal.

It won't charge if the car is sat there though, you need to go for a drive and get the alternator spinning, which will charge the battery.

its obvious the battery is flat, on the top of the battery ther should be some caps wer the cells are..take them off (IF THER IS CAPS), they sould be full of battery acid if they are dry boil the kettel let it cool and top it up

bump the car or jump it with the leads red to red black to black or if its a modern car red to red, black to the modern cars earthing point then keep it running for a good wile or go for a drive

hope this helps

or you can do it that way lol, but like a sed if you can take the caps of the battery to chek that thers liquid in, if ther isnt its not going to hold its charge, boil the kettle let it cool and top it up

You should fix the black onto a point of the car with the flat battery as when a battery charges it gives of hydrogen which is highly flammible and when you connect them up they spark, not a good combination imo.

well its been on charge all night and sparks on the connector bit but still wont start. although it ticks over any idea what it could be? Its on charge whilst im at work a good 9 hours more

sounds like your battery is nakkered, it probably did not retain the charge, time for a new battery if it has been in your car for over 3 years, but usually by 5 years most batteries fail.

well its been on charge all night and sparks on the connector bit but still wont start. although it ticks over any idea what it could be? Its on charge whilst im at work a good 9 hours more

guessing you mean turn over right? as in try to start...
tick over means idling at about 900rpm

Well, if it's spinning over, the battery has some charge?

So it could be a blown fuel pump fuse, flooded engine, blocked fuel line/filter, knackered spark plugs, block air intake.

All right, I got now what he meant by not starting, his engine is cranking as it should but not firing , so yes he has to look at other things like start with has he enough fuel in the tank? and then go to the next thing after that which is........I can't think!!!! right next in the list would be is his fuel pump coming on? then is he getting spark at the plugs? and is the spark strong enough? and then we go from there once he reports back.

I think his repeated attempts at starting the car, i.e keep on cranking it, drained his battery, so he recharged it and tried again and I think thye same thing has happened again, so he now needs to recharge again his batterey and look for other causes why it won't start. like fuel, pump, spark, sensors etc etc.

I think his repeated attempts at starting the car, i.e keep on cranking it, drained his battery, so he recharged it and tried again and I think thye same thing has happened again, so he now needs to recharge again his batterey and look for other causes why it won't start. like fuel, pump, spark, sensors etc etc.

i agree, but it,s taken 30 posts to get to this stage *bangs head against wall again*

right Ive just bought a new battery and its the same still

I put £10 in yesterday worth of petrol so I dont think its that

Oh !! are you sure that you did not fill in Diesel by mistake?

secondly do you know how to check a spark from the spark packs or coil or whatever your car is using? so you need to check for a spark

and you need to check if the fuel pump is running, this would pressurise your injector rail, do you have a pressure test nipple as is fitted on some other cars to check if the fuel rail is under pressure

and if you can check your fuel pump relay and fuse to see if all is ok
and lastly it is not an immobiliser issue I hope.

Alfonze, i really think you could do alot more to help people help you! lots of people are going to the effort of helping you, but you dont seem that ready to do what people say.

first: check to make sure there is a spark at the plugs (take a plug out, connect it to the HT lead again, then hold the end of the plug against somthing grounded, maybe the rocker cover?... try to start the engine and look to see if there is a spark, simple).

then come back and tell us what you have learnt.

otherwise, take it to a garage and they will sort it for you im sure.

Alfonze, i really think you could do alot more to help people help you! lots of people are going to the effort of helping you, but you dont seem that ready to do what people say.

first: check to make sure there is a spark at the plugs (take a plug out, connect it to the HT lead again, then hold the end of the plug against somthing grounded, maybe the rocker cover?... try to start the engine and look to see if there is a spark, simple).

then come back and tell us what you have learnt.

otherwise, take it to a garage and they will sort it for you im sure.

hold the plug with some insulated pliers or ya gonna get a shock :p

Turn your car to ignition, but don't start.

If you hear a faint whine/hum, for about 5 seconds, that's your fuel pump. It's easier to hear from the outside i find.

If you don't hear it, check the fuse. Even if it doesn't look broken, replace it.

some very good advise there for you Alfonze, you just need to follow above instructions and get your finger out!!

Dont think anyone has mentioned this one yet, how about the starter motor?!! Mine recently gave up on me, engine would try to fire but wouldnt quite get there.
First try putting the car in first or reverse then rock it back and forth, then try turning it over again (out of gear obviously lol), if that doesnt work, get a friend to tap the starter motor with a hammer whilst you turn it over, i had to do this quite a few times before it truly died. Also have you made sure you havent flooded the engine by trying to turn it over too many times?

U just got go threw the process of a combustion engine. Make sure u gettin fuel through, make sure u getting a spark, got good compression (shouldnt really be your problem) and finally air threw to finish the igniting procedure. Compression and air shoulnt really be your problem. It sounds like a spark or fuel. Make sure all your ht leads are seated correctly. Other than that im not sure wat it could be. could do with a bit more information matey

josh

forget it it starts now. Thanks for the help

fwn thats a bit blunt dude, may people have takeing time to think about this and help you, wot was the culprite and how did you fix it? even if its a silly little thing its still a lesson to learnt, to prepare you for next time because no boubt ther will be more :laugh:

OMG lol what a thread.

I had what seems to be a similar problem ages ago with my '99 1.0 it just took about half an hour of turning the key and stamping on the gas pedal like a maniac but it worked. :)

Back