been busy again, lol

superls

K10 Tuner
hi all,

over the easter weekend i set about making the inlet manifold for my bike carb project, here are a couple of pics:
DSC01126.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

having finnished that in record time i decided to attempt to create a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, a couple of pics in various stages:
DSC01134.jpg

DSC01133.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

I eventually got it finished.

The weekend before last I decided that I was going to fit the exhaust manifold and mate it up with the existing system, I managed to get it finished shortly after lunch, started her up checking for leaks etc. revved it, and it sounded totally different.
here a couple of pics of it fitted
DSC01148.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

DSC01144.jpg

But I was still unhappy at how long it took to rev up and then settle down, as a couple of you know I lightened my flywheel as per my thread HERE
so I did one of my famous spur of the moment decisions, and decided to fit my flywheel without removing the gearbox from the engine bay as per reading franks thread a couple of days before, cheers frank.

Here is a couple of pics of the fly,
DCP_0108.jpg

DCP_0107.jpg

DCP_0104.jpg

Anyways, heres a vid of it revving up,

And heres one of the exhaust

Yer my dad got a got a new welder (Lives in Wales) so I robbed his little one, just need to make it work now :p

lol, i suppose thats the advantage of me still living at home tho, another reason to keep me here, free tools, lol

superls

excellent work (Y) , that 2 into 1 flows round sump like it grew there ;)
3.2kg ? beats mine hand down :cool:

cheers frank, yes 3.2kg, next stage is to take off the mani and grind all the rest of the galvanising off then paint it in high temp paint. then i might heat wrap it, dunno yet tho

That's spot on that. Any idea how much penetration you got with that manifold welds - also, is it just made of universal bits of pipe and how did you decide upon the lengths?
Craig

frank there not fitted yet and ill try and fit a filter if theres room, but im ubsure yet,

craig, not sure on the penitration but when i tacked it on i had to grind it back off os it wouldnt snap with a sharp hammer blow, and no i didnt use pre bought elbows, i used me dads band saw to cut loads of 15 degree wedges that were 15mm long and welded them together to get the curve i wanted. as regards the length, no calculations done at all, there just the length that they need to be.

frank, i had the advantage of having a spare engine hung up in my workshop to model stuff on

nice work there mate the inlet looks very tidy and that 4-2-1 is excellent! bet she flys now! whats your 0-60 like with that fly wheel?

dont no mate noot tested it yet but its alot quicker off the mark, there was a more noticable increase with the fly and manifold than when i went from the 1.0 to the 1.2.

when i get the carbs running something like, im going to get her on a dyno.

speedle, a quick question about the carbs you had, they were done by bogg bros right? was they rejetted by them or not? if they were do you know how big the jets are?

cheers superls

superls

the reason i asked about filters is the throttle response does,nt sound right, i think you,re losing a lot of midrange, carbs are VERY fickle regarding vacuum
if you were to put a strip of tape over the bellmouths and punch a 1 inch hole in each, i,ll lay money that you get double the throttle response and another 15hp of midrange power

superls

ah, i though you,d fitted them :blush:
i ve tinkered with a few carb projects in the past and found that the type of filter is critical when jetting up, and taping over the mouth,s then trying different size apertures is a useful guide to getting the right mixture

i seem to remember someone saying it would then someone else said they had done it but then someone said that it wouldnt so tbh im at a loss with it, and cant really afford to buy a gearbox (£50 from scrappers) to test it out if it doesnt work. but i suppose that the spare engine that is suspended from the roof of me shed would be easy to get a definative answer if some kind sole was to loan me a pre 98 1 litre gearbox. lol

Top work i musy say. What a great bit of DIY'ing!

I shall share a snippit of what im upto at the moment:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 296
dont no mate noot tested it yet but its alot quicker off the mark, there was a more noticable increase with the fly and manifold than when i went from the 1.0 to the 1.2.

when i get the carbs running something like, im going to get her on a dyno.

speedle, a quick question about the carbs you had, they were done by bogg bros right? was they rejetted by them or not? if they were do you know how big the jets are?

cheers superls

They where rejetted iirc, i cant remember how big they are tho, i will get in touch with paul (had them originaly) and see if he remembers.

daveeeeee cheers mate, that would be great.

Top work i musy say. What a great bit of DIY'ing!

I shall share a snippit of what im upto at the moment:

ed thats a nice looking flywheel, as far as flywheels go (honestly im not wired or owt) how heavy is that? have you fitted it yet?

yes ed, that,s some serious lightening, very impressive, i hope there,s not too much powerstroke vibration :grinning:

2.5 Kg. Box has brand new bearings on all shafts (and some of the best you can get). The whole crank including pully, flywheel and clutch cover are balanced to within 0.4 grams.

Its not running yet but will be very interesting indeed - I can't wait.

i went ott on lightening the f/w on my honda 390cc kart engine, and because the was no mass to soak up the huge power surge (ie the 1st half of the power stroke, where the other 7/8ths of 4 stroke cycle are mainly negative power) it chewed the heavy duty 428 chain in less than 1 hr and gave the engine a dreadful buzz.
but maybe it wont apply on a 4 cyl ST ?

Back