Banded Wheels

superls

K10 Tuner
are they legal or illegal? if been told and read both. are they worth getting done, can you still get them done, where can you get them done???

superls

what i should have put really is banded steel wheels. but they are wheels that have been cut down the middle and a piece of metal 'the band' welded in to make them wider.

If it's not originally designed that way it's not safe.

A bit of a sweeping statement there, and not a particularly true one otherwise no custom modification would be safe, Micras weren't originally designed to have 14" or 15" alloys but people have them and they are safe.

what i should have put really is banded steel wheels. but they are wheels that have been cut down the middle and a piece of metal 'the band' welded in to make them wider.

thats such a stupid idea! and very very unsafe, i can imagine that balancing the wheels could be a problem unless precision engineered. if you want wider steel wheels just get some from another car.... or some weller steelies.

it'll be cutting springs next! lol

nah mate as long as they are made properly then they are legal. If a company makes them then they are safe as they will have an engineers certificate to say so. If they are made elsewhere then all you need to do is send them to an engineering firm and they will issue them with a certificate if they are okay to use.

This method is acutally quite safe as they are machine welded to quite high tolerances. Anyone ever seen how boy coddington hotrods make there wheels? or how tractor wheels are made? on the ones ive seen you can even see the welds on the outside.

but obviously dont go taking a hack saw and a hobby welder to a set of steelies lol

nah mate as long as they are made properly then they are legal. If a company makes them then they are safe as they will have an engineers certificate to say so. If they are made elsewhere then all you need to do is send them to an engineering firm and they will issue them with a certificate if they are okay to use.

This method is acutally quite safe as they are machine welded to quite high tolerances. Anyone ever seen how boy coddington hotrods make there wheels? or how tractor wheels are made? on the ones ive seen you can even see the welds on the outside.

but obviously dont go taking a hack saw and a hobby welder to a set of steelies lol

ah in that case mate then it gets my vote ;) i just had mental images of badly welded scraps of metal and cars getting wrapped round trees! :p

get some ATS classics...... just had some in 9" wide 15" diameter at work for a VW Corado VR6 with a 100mm drop and smooooth body work... they look the nutts...

get some ATS classics...... just had some in 9" wide 15" diameter at work for a VW Corado VR6 with a 100mm drop and smooooth body work... they look the nutts...

what colour was it and where was it from, it sounds awfully farmiliar

get some ats cups! imo they look way better than ats classics, but i do like both! always wanted a k11 on coilovers really low with some ats cups on with really wide tyres....would look sweet!!!!!!! would look nice on your car.

Back