Another Problem! Thermostat

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Ok people i wont give up on this car and i dont care if it eats my wallet cos i love it! how can i tell if i have a thermostat failing, my car is only at optimal temperature if im just sitting still as soon as i start driving the temperature is almost always on the Cold mark, this only started happening after i had my cam belt and radiator flushed and new water/antifreeze fwn

You could change the thermostat, its only a couple of ££ from halfords...

If that doesnt do it im not sure about this one :S

ok reading online turns out my thermostat could be stuck in the up position which could explain me freezing forever in my car! how can i tell if it is stuck open? as i have no clue how to tell only my haynes manual,

cheers guys

your only way really is to take it out and look it and test it.

perhaps somethinbg is stuck in it from when you had things changed.

your only way really is to take it out and look it and test it.

perhaps somethinbg is stuck in it from when you had things changed.

i dont know :( all these problems came after i had the water pump changed! bloody cowboys i will never trust a mechanic again!

when it was flushed out it probably dislodged some crap from within the cooling system and this has become traped in the stat jamming it open. New one is £5.99 in halfords mate and a stuck open stat is the only thing that will cause overcooling.....just change it mate...halfords will even fit it if you dont fancy changing it.......

when it was flushed out it probably dislodged some crap from within the cooling system and this has become traped in the stat jamming it open. New one is £5.99 in halfords mate and a stuck open stat is the only thing that will cause overcooling.....just change it mate...halfords will even fit it if you dont fancy changing it.......

well i hope it is this its doing my head in well one good thing is i can still use the car otherwise if it was stuck closed id be screwed!

also would this explain the white steam coming out of the back when cold/cool

Dont let halfords touch it...get a hanyes and do it your self lol

~90% of the people in halfords have no car knowledge what so ever

Dont let halfords touch it...get a hanyes and do it your self lol

~90% of the people in halfords have no car knowledge what so ever

dont worry im fully aware of that, when i went in there for some rubbing compound he thought i meant sandpaper... how i have no clue... haynes manual and my dad will do pints are cheap labour (Y)

yea it is, its in like a toothpaste tube, its blue and real sticky, ive never had mine leak with it on (goes and touches wood).

if you wanted to, wou could buy some gasket paper and make a gasket but theres no point really.

only other thing is you will loose quite a bit of water, leave the radiator cap on and that sould limit it tho.

get a good fitting hexagon socket and work the 3 10mm bolts loose, pull the end off, (i leave the pipe on it mainly so i dont loose it lol) flick the stat out with a screw driver as it will probably be stuck in, clean the faces up, wipe it down put the new stat in the right way up (its marked on it) put the new gasket/blue hylomar or both on, and then put it back together.

fire her up let it warm up, keep checking for leaks. if there arent any, take her for a spin.

like i said earlier, if youve got the tools to hand and you know what your doing it should only take to 20mins, but that can depend on how the bolts come out of the stat housing, sometimes they can be a bit of a pain.

i have the same problem,i thought the previous owner had too much coolant,i drained some out and it did help but not enough

i dont think it would be wise to drain out too much coolant just get the thermostat checked replaced getting mine from halfords tomorrow

Back