PistonHeads.com: Subaru Pulls Out of WRC

theres allways lawnmower racing..lol

just ford and citroen....great.

so sebastian loeb will be world champion forever then.

just to give you some idea of how many teams have left the WRC.

this is a full list of manufacturers from 90's

Subaru, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Nissan, Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Renault, Opel, Vausxhall, Hyundai, Ford, Citroen, Peugeot, Talbot, Lancia, Audi, Skoda, mazda and Proton.

out of all of these manufacturers, only two survive.

to put a more bulnt note on things... BTCC

in the 90s there was,

Mazda, Audi, Ford, Vauxhall, Nissan, Renault, Peugeot, Toyota, BMW, Skoda, Seat, Honda, Alfa romeo, Fiat, Volvo, MG, Rover, etc etc

there is now, BMW, Honda and......erm... im struggling now. i think thats it.

I know gutted, and Suzuki earlier this week too.... bring on 2010 with the S2000 cars then they will all be back! not sure what 2009 will be like, maybe rubbish maybe not!

Threads merged. Terrible news, I just bought an SWRT t shirt the other week, I might keep it in the packaging, could be worth something soon!

I did just read this on the SWRT website though:
Looking ahead, 2010 will see the introduction of new World Rally Championship technical regulations, which provide Prodrive with an opportunity to prepare for re-entering the championship with a new team and build on its 24 years of World Rally Championship experience and success.

Hopefully they will be back...cant belive how many teams are falling out, proof that the credit crunch is happening i supose... Hopefully it will pick up soon, i cant see it being very exciting if there arnt any teams lol

i believe the 2010 regulations allow for a diesel engine and the elimination of petrol turbo's, so the engine specs wouldnt be that dis-similar to BTCC or WTCC specs.

bring back group B

^ What I was gonna say. Group B cars were insane.

Eughh. Why are they killing the cars? I mean, the engines are already capped to 2 litre IIRC, and taking away the turbo isn't gonna help at all.

I'm sure I watched some form of touring car racing a while back where every car was basically a Mercedes?

^ What I was gonna say. Group B cars were insane.

Eughh. Why are they killing the cars? I mean, the engines are already capped to 2 litre IIRC, and taking away the turbo isn't gonna help at all.

I'm sure I watched some form of touring car racing a while back where every car was basically a Mercedes?

mid to late 80's was 99% ford sierra RS500 cosworths,
then regs changed to allow a different class including the E30 BMW M3, mercedes 190E 2.3 16V cosworth.

lots of DTM cars were mercs, sure it wasnt a DTM race?

mid to late 80's was 99% ford sierra RS500 cosworths,
then regs changed to allow a different class including the E30 BMW M3, mercedes 190E 2.3 16V cosworth.

lots of DTM cars were mercs, sure it wasnt a DTM race?

Might of been.

I get so lost and confused with all these different acronyms and disciplines.

It really does suck what is happening to motorsport nowadays, with only two teams left in the WRC, itll be like watching the two nerdy kids at school having a fight, as in midly entertaining but in the end who cares who wins! even f1 is feeling the pressure but then again that was almost like watching a parade and they spend silly amounts of money, the A1 gp was more entertaining and prob a cheaper sport too as they all share the same engine and chassis etc. But who knows, maybe soon all racing cars will have a hydrogen powered engine like the one from top gear the other night!

Back