Wheel Spacer... Bad for the car?

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
Hi peeps

now wheel spacers, personally id expect them to put extra strain on the hubs and bolts? is this the case? are they bad or ok to use?

Thanks
Mat

there ok, anything in my opinion that fits inbetween a hub and a wheel is a bit dodgy in mo opinion, just make sure youve got enough turns on the nut with the spacer in

you can buy thoes spacers that bolt to the hub and have studs pertruding out of the spacer, these are the best to use.

i have 5mm spacers on my 200sx and they have been fine

In my opinion, they are a very bad idea:
*They load the wheel bearings in a way they weren't designed to be loaded.
*They cause the steering geometry to change.
*Depending on design, they weaken the studs.
*There is no need for them on a road car, as you can just get wheels that fit in the first place.

if you actually feel wheel spacers they are relatvly light. the metal they use is only bout 3mm thick becuase they are not solid they are hollowish.this is in no way worse than wacking sum hevy 15 or 16 inch wheels. if the micra hubs and bolts can cope with this (and they have) then spacers will not be a problem. the only problem really is making sure the wheel nut has enough thread to grip onto. dusk (the guy with the white wide arch micra) as 15 inch deep dhish wheel and he ran with spacers for a year so far and theyre fine. if you just buy some light weight ones so you dont sacrifice acceleration and put less strain on the whole thing you will be more than okay. even though i dont think you would have any trouble with normal ones as i stated before.

seems to be a divided opinion here... ill only be using 13" alloys with the spacers and its only for an asthetic application to bring the wheels in line with the arch so i wont really need a big spacer anyway about half an inch max

make sure they are quality spacers....

mates golf gti nearly came off the road when on cracked...
lucky stopped cos there was a strange noise coming from passenger side wheel... he took it off and spacer had a single crack through it...

he bought some better ones an they have been on for say 6months no probs...

so 50/50 imo, but pay xtra for safety..

speedle, these are the puppies to get 25mm spacer! get the wheels out

http://optionimports.com/5024591a.html

these are meant for a US sentra but these will fit the micra, there good as they keep the centre bore aswell as the thing with spacer the do away with the centre bore if you think about it. if i has the money id get these for the 200sx

nice bit of kit

Back