What Happens When You Mix A Car, College Project & A Ping Pong Ball!!

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
So as part of our college course, we have to design and manufacture a device that will fire a ping pong ball 10 metres (30 feet) for less than £10.

This is what we came up with to the cost of £5. A Hyundai Accent on 3 cylinders, an O-ring attachment and long bit of pipe.

Works so well we made a video.

Will require quicktime to watch.

Attachments

• 07-03-06_1420.3gp
    279 KB · Views: 193
Long tube same diameter as the ball making sure there is no gaps round the edges
block one end off witha small chamber - put a hole in it, insert lynz can and charge it up.. 2 wires into it - make it go boom - ball will fly...

Dusk said:
Long tube same diameter as the ball making sure there is no gaps round the edges
block one end off witha small chamber - put a hole in it, insert lynz can and charge it up.. 2 wires into it - make it go boom - ball will fly...

that sounds good Dusk, have you done that one?

we done similar task at uni for first year project, it was a potato cannon...

copied the instructions from... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine2.htm

couldnt get it to work:(

Tells you to use petrol - I certainly wouldnt. (petrol would explode too violently and may stay alight in the chamber)
Looking at the diagram you use a whole potato, i wouldnt (you force it into the potato to create a seal then push it down the barrel)
I havent made one, but a guy brought a tiny one into collage that fired plastic bricks - but he used areosol

Dusk said:

We could do that, but its to fire a certain distance and we have to do risk assesment and its to be safe etc etc etc.

That way sounds fun though.

Its smaller than a potato cannon and you wont get much recoil so you could mount it to a base and fire remotely with safety..!

Dusk said:
Its smaller than a potato cannon and you wont get much recoil so you could mount it to a base and fire remotely with safety..!

Could be a possibility, although we have to fire 3 seperately and reload it without going near it.

Grant said:
the link is not working, what do you do a college???

It works fine for me mate, right click and save target as. You also need quicktime or a media player that will play 3gp files.

media player classic plays em ;) nice red micra btw. looks like mine lol as the alloys are the same :D

lol tis true. my heart actually sunk when i saw it i thought eh! whats my car doing there! lol and i looked at ur avatar and realized it haha those alloys look great though imo :)

Yeah, they look great. Never seen them on another car either, apart from yours. Hers me thinking Im being individual,lol.

Back