Weber carbs

Mark

Ex. Club Member
will all the people on here who run Weber carbs on there k10's tell me what teh vacumm hoses for the carb, dizzy etc connect to???

Mark

Me, lol. Erm... I've got all of the hoses from the inlet manifold, dissy connected to the one on the carb. Apparently, there is a seperate vacuum unit which mounts on the bulkhead... where all of the vacuum pipes go to, but I haven't got it.

Maybe write/e-mail the Weber company for one?

-Elliot

Wherever the distributor vacuum advance was connected to before, put it back there. I think this is on the inlet manifold, and in that case, block the port on carb as it will leak air into the manifold. Or try the manifold and the carb to see which one works better.

The one on the carb is what is called "ported vacuum" and behaves slightly differently to manifold vacuum.

I'm only saying this because my car vacumm was previously connected

- Dizzy to inlet manifold to weber carb -

I went and spoke to a cossie owning mechanic who i asked to set the timing. it was out by a ridiculous amount.

he blocked off the inlet manifold t peice so it now loops itself (nothing connected to it) and connected the dizzy directly to the weber with a short hose just long enough.

he then set the timing to 6degrees(can be taken up to 8degrees depending on octane rating of fuel.

I drove the car and it felt like 15bhp had been added. pulls the most between 5-6k

I dont use the vacumm unit which mounts on the bulkhead either elliot.

Just thought I'd share this information cause it could add 15bhp for you too! I was shocked at how much faster the car is.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. :) I recently set my timing, before I put my Weber on... but haven't done it since. The cars do go much better once the timings set, as over time... the timing goes out significantly.

I recently fitted an engine in a 300zx at work, and it felt flat when road-tested. I reset the timing when I got back, and it did fly after doing this. :D

-Elliot

does yours pull all the way to 6k or does it start to strugle after 5k? cause mine used to die after 5000rpm before i set the timing

but yeah connect the weber directly to the dizzy, and block off the inlet manifold

the weber isnt supposed to be connected to the inlet like the hitachi

It does struggle to 6k. I'll give it a go tommorow then, and block off the inlet manifold and connect the dissy to the carb... and see how it goes. :)

One thing I do find with the webber, is that if you floor it at low rpm in 2nd, 3rd etc... the car just dies and stutters and then picks up. I've heared these particular webers have a habit of over-fueling when floored...?

-Elliot

It does struggle to 6k. I'll give it a go tommorow then, and block off the inlet manifold and connect the dissy to the carb... and see how it goes

mate your gonna laugh tomorrow lol. :laugh:

soon as you get to 5k the power really kicks in and it pulls all the way to 6k and past. :upside:

oh yeah you cant just put your foot down with the weber, you have to floor it gradually but I'm so used to it now it aint a problem.

Hi Mark,

Yup... I did arrange the vacuum pipes as above, and it has made quite a difference. :) The car does feel as if it pulls much better throughout the rev-range... but I have yet to do the timing. :)

-Elliot

I suppose it has to be honest. :) The car is certainly more of a pleasure to drive... I will see how it carries on once I've done the timing. :)

-Elliot

Back