Want to add remote central locking and an alarm...

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
Which kit? Ive been reading a lot of negative views on the standard Maplin kit... someone says go Jap... but where do I find a Jap kit? Not having any luck at the scrap yard either... Called Nissan main dealer and said it is not available for the Micra... so Id have to buy my own kit... I was hoping to get the special key with buttons on it but nooooo

Oh and someone mentioned a toad alarm which is insurance approved? i.e. will bring the insurance down... any model number? I cant find the thread I read it in.

Thanks

What Sparkrite?? Im not sure about that one... and their not insurance approved...

Ok Ive comfused myself... I have an immobiliser but dont know which CAT... and all I want to do is add:

- alarm pref with shock sensor (which would bring down insurance)
- Remote Central Locking...

and I want to use the alarm fob to open/close doors rather than the RCL one...

Ta

If you're wanting one to decrease your insurance premium, you will need a Thatcham approved system, and may even need it installed by a professional installer. The cheapo kits on ebay, while they work, won't do anything to your premium I'm afraid.

well i suggested argos because i dont know what sort of budget you're thinking of.

as far as i know only Thatcham CAT 1 will bring down your insurance premium by a noticeable amount. Immobiliser and sub £150 alarms can entitle you to a tiny discount thats if the insurance person is in a good mood that day.

Clifford is still the best in the business. the entry level concept 650 Cat 1 alarm is about £350 i think but that includes fitting at your house and all the features you asked for. my friend who is 24, claims the alarm saves him about £60 a year so it pays itself after a few years.

and if you have spare dosh you can always add extra features to your alarm and remote, like remote engine start, shut windows when you remotely locking the car, headlights come on, remote boot release etc.

Any details of a dealer / fitter please?

The quotes I have been getting are ridiculous... £80-90 per door for remote central locking... it only has 2 doors!!! and £400 for a Clifford Arrow 5 (entry level but is not an insurance approved alarm) with no shock sensor... and I can get an Arrow 5 for £110... brand new boxed... the guy looked dodgy anyway... GAP security said £490.

Does £350 inc. VAT etc? Sounds good.
The 650 seems to be going for £400!!

I should have mentioned my budget is £200 max. So I guess that means a Cobra or Toad... but I already have an immobiliser so what CAT am I looking at? CAT 1? Is that the best? Fitting of a Toad or Cobra would be easy.. the mechanic could do that but not sure if he could do a Clifford.

Where to buyyyy and more to the point Im after a decent Remote Central Locking kit!!

Duh!!! I know now...

looked at the Thatcham site... and if its an alarm only then its CAT 2/1

http://www.thatcham.org/security/index.jsp?page=75&c=cat2_1

very useful site...

and the Toad is supposed to be compatible with cars that already have an imob. Now all I need is a Jap RCL kit... and how easy is the Cliff to fit???

Category 1 - Electronic Alarm and Immobiliser
Category 2 - Electronic/Electromechanical Immobiliser
Category 2-1 - Electronic Alarm Upgrade [General Application]
Category 3 - Mechanical Immobiliser
Category 4 - Wheel Locking Devices
Category 5 - After-Theft Systems for Vehicle Recovery
Q Class Systems - Aftermarket Non-Categorised Systems
taken from the thatcham website; http://www.thatcham.org/

hope this helps

does the k11 have a cat 1 imob? so all i need is a 2-1 alarm.. thats all i want.. that and the RCL.

WIRELESS_LOCKING02_L.jpg

what about this kit??
and then add the Toad or Cobra??

Thanks - ok so the Maplin kit is not as bad as everyone around me makes it sound if you guys are not having any problems...

Can you recommend an alarm?
Which would bring down insurance?
Pref under £200?

Say it wasnt Thatcham approved - would the insurer still consider it?

My ins. is due for renewal in Jan 07 and time is flying so it would be nice to get the quote down a little.

Thanks

:grinning:

Was looking at some of the Cliffs and they say that if you have a manufacturer fitted imob. then you need to buy the imbo. by-pass kit.

Oh and it is clearer now about the CATS. Cat 2:1 is an overlay for bringing a CAT 2 imbo to CAT 1. So I must be CAT 2? because its a NATS key... and I need a CAT 1? or have I confused things again ****

I brought this:

SCL2200.jpg

and this:

RK30.jpg

The 2:1 alarm can wait... I got a deal - £100... will fit it in soon... woo hoo I have a guide! I'd be a bit screwed without that.

Done!! Blew about 15 fuses trying to do it as well!!! The wire inside the c/l unit was wired wrong. Red was not showing live... white was! So I had to manually swap them over... I know I could have sent it all back but chances are I would get it in the new year and I had all the wires through anyway... I fit both units behind the stereo... under the heater... so there is easy access to the fuse there as well but anyhow check out the range on this baby... bedroom window... and still works... which is about 20 meters... cheers Demarest for the fantastic guide!!! Took me 12 hours though!!! Some clips were missing as well... If I only I could get hold of an original kit rather than a replica... oh and another thing... the wiring diagram was U.S!!! So it was very hard to work out... but its done now and people look in amazement as all four lights flash and it locks!! Woo hoo!

When it come round to fitting the remote centrel locking read this:

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=8846&highlight=installation+locking

im guessing a cant view the guide because im not a "proper member"???

is there any chance some one would be so kind as to copy the text to a "word document" and then email it to "[email protected]"???

it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Gurpreet : so your happy with the "Toad RK30" remote system then? is it that system that makes the indicators flash?

Thanks
Napster

Yep Napster I am quite pleased with it.. and I couldnt have done it without our mans guide...

It depends on how you wire it.. some people have it standard.. but I wired it to the indicators so it is easy to tell what is open and close.. though you can hear and see it anyway.. and.. it can be used as a deterent.. if you see some guys standing around your car just press the close button e.g. from your bedroom window and the lights will flash. Most systems will allow for the indicator flash, esp. the ones which are compatible with an alarm.

Even though my centrel locking works, i cant still only get one indicator side to flash correctly! will try and sort it out when i get time.

Napster, check your email

It taken me about a day just to fit the acculators, then another full day for everything else.

Cheers for the apreaciation Gurpreet ! (Y)

Back