Tectaloy XTRA Cool Gold - what a misleading product

cisco

» CMF Member
Bought this $18.99 coolant stuff for the blue monster because it presents itself as the best one in the range etc

Then I get home and read the fineprint and it says on the back "suitable for vehicles that don't require anti-freeze"..

Bah - you what! Now I don't have the receipt any longer.
Will take it back later and get something decent.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
I use a bottle of stuff thats about $6 bucks..works really well.

and my mate uses it in his CRX which sees a lot of track usage and he's never had a problem with it.

will have to get the name of it..

cisco

» CMF Member
For sure, cheers mate.

I was just doing some searching, and yeah looks like you don't need to spend much. I got sucked in and bought some totally incorrect crap!

cisco

» CMF Member
$6 seems like the going rate for decent coolant then.

I'll be back later with something costing $6.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
:p

Go to Toyota mate. They sell the best coolant available off the shelf by far. The only stuff that tops it comes from the super expensive brands like Motul/NEO Synthetics.

Plus its pink. ;)

cisco

» CMF Member
Stuffed if I can find any coolant worth $6.
Except for the pre-mixed bottles of garbage for old pre-1980 cars. That stuff makes your alloy engine corrode.

For a 50% mix in the micra (with 4 litre capacity), you need about 2 litres of concentrate.

Castrol anti-freeze/anti-boil is about $10.99 just for a 1 litre bottle. So need 2 of those.

NULON is a fraction cheaper, and I got a 2.5L bottle of concentrate for $21.99.

Tectaloy is a fraction more expensive than Castrol. Still leaves you not far off $30 for the sufficient amount of concentrate!

Or you can buy NULON pre-mixed 5L bottles for $19.99. But that's only a 33% mix, which is fine, but if you go a 50% mix you get a higher boiling point and lower freezing point. I thought that would be the go for my engine just incase.

What is this bargain $6 coolant? You didn't put the generic pre-mixed stuff in there for old cars did ya? I did that once in my first micra once. Because a lot of the bottles are misleading and don't tell you much. They had coolant for $3.99 today, but no good for alloy engines.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Little 330ml can of castrol inhibitor. Its meant to be fine for alloy engines.

But I think when it needs replacing I'll use that Toyota pink stuff. It lasts forever if your cooling system is all good!

cisco

» CMF Member
"Castrol Radiator Corrosion Inhibitor
A corrosion inhibitor concentrate suitable for cooling systems of older petrol and diesel vehicles requiring water based coolants."

It shouldn't be going in a modern alloy engine and it doesn't even have anti-freeze and anti-boil. So your car could freeze when you come to Canberra for the cold air meet!

Evade, what wonderful $6 solution are you using?

Attachments

• 14890.jpg
    14890.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 18

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
For you guy's who require anti freeze I strongly recommend genuine Nissan coolant (in the recommended concentration of course). I have never seen a corrosion problem when using this coolant and maintaining it properly (correct concentation and changed every 2 years or 40,000km.) I personally use Redline Water Wetter which has a heat transfer agent in it aswell as a corrosion inhibitor. It is a great product which many of my mates/colleagues use too in either road or competition cars. However we are in Perth and do not require a product with anti freeze properties over here, so I wouldn't recommend that people in a colder climate (eg Canberra winter) use it.

cisco

» CMF Member
What dumb-founded me with this XTRA cool gold crap and what I still don't understand is.. Why wouldn't you just put anti-freeze in everything anyway? What if someone buys a Perth car and drives it to Canberra and it freezes. I just can't see why all cars just don't have anti-freeze in them anyway by default. I was really surprised when I found this out today!

Back