Swapping in a QG15DE (Long story)

Hi all.

First post, etc.

I've been offered a very clean Micra K11 with a blown head gasket for £150. Now, I could just go ahead and replace the head gasket but where is the fun in that?

I've got an N16 Almera lying around that is in perfect condition mechanically but the body and chassis are suffering from pretty terrible rust. It's been off the road for a few years in storage and it's looking really bad. It's QG15DE and drive train though are in perfect working order and have pretty low miles. It had a new clutch just before it was put into storage too so it would be a shame to scrap it. It's not the best engine in the world, I know, but at least this one is a good example.

The Micra I've been offered is running a CGA3DE that has 150,000 miles on it and, as I mentioned before, has a blown head gasket. It's not terrible (small amount of coolant getting into one of the cylinders) but it needs sorting. The body and chassis are in pretty much perfect nick. It's just had brakes and tires done. Even the paint is good.

Looking under the bonnets of the two cars it looks like the two engines are pretty similar in dimensions and many of the ancillaries look like they're common across the two. This is to be expected seeing as they're both cars from the same manufacturer from the same era.

What do you reckon? Is this a good idea? Is it even possible?

Thanks.

QG18 is bored out QG15 in simple terms. Little more to it but externally the same

Much like a GA in a dizzy car the wiring loom will pretty much suit the QG engine anyway. The sensors all work in the same way as the CG do

As long as you can sort the mounts and shafts the rest is fairly simple

It doesn't to my knowledge
Shares the SR bolt pattern but it'd be interesting to find out if they do

Saying that they're the GA 'successor' so could go either way

According to this guy thats the way he did the qg18

Attachments

• 1460502567960.jpg
    1460502567960.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 434
I know him quite well

If it works, it works

I was sure of reading it was SR patterned was all :)

Last edited:
Back