Suspect Micra 2000 Clutch, Advice Please.

I have a clutch that is giving me some concern and would be interested to know if anyone has had the same problem.It is not slipping at all, but does give off a loud screatch as you depress the pedal slightly. When pressed further or disingaged the thrust bearing seems quiet. Also the travel passes through a stiff point at almost its limit which can cause control to be difficult when menovering in tight spaces. I realise it's not a big job to replace a clutch, Hovever, I would be interested to know How long before this becomes nessisary ?

Its hard to say!

It could give up today or in a years time!

Would really need to hear the noise to confirm its the release bearing. Certain bearings in the gearbox will quieten down when you take the load off (press the clutch) like the reverse gear idler bearings.

Try taking the gearbox drain plug out. Drain the oil into a bucket straining it through a small cardboard box (oil filter box is ideal!) Examine the colour of the oil and look at the bits you have left in the strainer. Large bits and grey oil are not good.

Back