spark plugs pics

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
can someone pls tell me whats wrong with my spark plugs, what does it indicate, one problem i have is it consumes 8ltrs/100ks and im not driving it hard, idle rpm is 800 and timing is set 15 deg....

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
Seems the damage is coming from the outside ...If that deposit built up is coolant then it means your head is cracked. Do a compression test or I would recommend a head leak down test that'll thell you eveything. But will cost a little.

CMF_Jon (2)

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"My plugs don't usually come out looking like that on the outside but Frank2 is right, we need to see to plug ends to make a diagnosis.

Something isn't right there with them, when was the last time you changed the plugs? A buildup like that isn't normal
Stick a new set in and keep an eye on them. Make sure you gap them correctly.
As for fuel consumption going higher, along with changing your plugs I would be checking your O2 sensor, temperature control sensor, air filter, tyre pressure etc.

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
sorry didnt mentioned that car wasnot used for almost a year...
o2 sensor was replaced already....
air filter ....checked
my nissan diagnostic software says temperature is around 70-90 degrees, and go down a bit when car is cruising...
tyre pressure set to 32

and heres a pic ofthe end gap

Attachments

• 59804.jpg
    59804.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 28

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"whats the OUTSIDE of the plugs got to do with it lol ??

you only need to be concerned with the business end of the plugs !

Well if it a cracked head there's not much of a point looking at the tip
Is there? I can show you a picture of the centre electrode completely melted with the outside looking completely normal. tell you now they look identical to mine when my k20 went, when ii realized it few weeks later.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
1300cc WROTE:
"sorry didnt mentioned that car wasnot used for almost a year...<BR>

Well you just about have your answer there, when I looked at the pic yesterday I thought it just looked like ordinary corrosion and maybe a touch or rust, but figured the only way you would get that is if the car sat cold with water in the plug channels for some time.

Unless your loosing water or have milky oil, I'd not be worried about much else right now.

Fuel consumption is likely related to how you drive (it's a large factor), and other issues but unlikely plugs or cracked anything in my guess.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
A cracked head will usually leak into a water jacket, you'd get milky oil and overheating and water use. Those parts of the plugs showing corrosion are outside the combustion area so doubt they be affected by a crack in the head.
More likely they've got that way from the engine sitting cold for nearly 12months.

Back