Smokey Micra

Hi all,

Today I went out after finishing all my work for the day to my 1997 K11 1.0 litre. It has 41k miles on the clock and has been regularly serviced since it was new. I have put some 8k miles on it since I bought it ( and serviced it ) 4 months ago and it hasn't even given so much as an ounce of trouble. I doa lot of driving so the micra is the most reliable small car i've ever come accross.

So I started it as normal, but I noticed it was somewhat reluctant to fire properly so left it to it's thing for a minute. I gave it a small dab of throttle and out popped a cloud of black smoke. It cleared after a few seconds and ran perfectly since. Have driven about 100 miles since it happened me today and it has been perfect. Any ideas as to what it might have been ? I thought I might have flooded it, but it happened so quickly that I wonder if it was flooding.

Now the exhaust tip always dirtys itself within about 80miles of cleaning it, so maybe it's running waaaay too rich ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks a million.

Hmm, well i've had a simillar thing, i started the car and suddenly it stopped, all the warning lights came on etc, refused to start, turned it all off, left it a minute, tried again worked fine.
No problem in the 1000 miles and cold starts since then.
Sorry if it doesn't seem relavent, i guess what i'm trying to say is sometimes stuff happens.

irish_k11

hi, the black smoke was probably just a bit of unburnt fuel,
this cold weather is going to test anyones battery that is past its best

mine does this everytime i start it, it soon stopped when i changed to Champion Eon spark plugs... it now doesnt throw any smoke out, (and ive got no cats)

Back