Shocker Shocker

CMF_Geneva

» CMF Member
I love this site!
I have owned a manual 1995 SLX for about 5 years now and it is the best car I have owned (and also the cheapest).
BUT my mechanic tells me that I need new shocks and my only alternative is genuine Nissan at a $2000 grand total. Can this be? Could I get a performance option for around that price?

Geneva WROTE:

"I love this site!<BR>I have owned a manual 1995 SLX for about 5 years now and it is the best car I have owned (and also the cheapest).<BR>BUT my mechanic tells me that I need new shocks and my only alternative is genuine Nissan at a $2000 grand total. Can this be? Could I get a performance option for around that price?<BR>

i like your mechanic. he is fully sick

smidge

» CMF Member
easy as piss to change them too, not sure how much work you've done yourselfi n the past but the only fancy tool you need is a rattle gun, iv'e done it without the rattle gun but would never again.. makes it so much easier!

all up a shole set of gdecent quality KYB's should set you back less than $400 and the improvement will be quite noticable

i'd stick some stiffer and lower springs in too while you're at it, although its a good idea to get an adjustable panhard rod for the back end too

buy all that, install it, then take it up to your local tyre or suspension shop for an alignment and check over and job done

CMF_Geneva

» CMF Member
smidge WROTE:

"easy as piss to change them too, not sure how much work you've done yourselfi n the past but the only fancy tool you need is a rattle gun, iv'e done it without the rattle gun but would never again.. makes it so much easier!<BR><BR>all up a shole set of gdecent quality KYB's should set you back less than $400 and the improvement will be quite noticable<BR><BR>i'd stick some stiffer and lower springs in too while you're at it, although its a good idea to get an adjustable panhard rod for the back end too<BR><BR>buy all that, install it, then take it up to your local tyre or suspension shop for an alignment and check over and job done

Hi Smidge,

What are KYB's? Also, how much do you think stiffer springs would cost?

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Yes lol, I may...

I do like the idea of keeping them though because they are so good...

But if you are desperately keen, give me a week or so for the panhard rod to come in from nsm and I should have White Knights old setup (50mm drop K-Mac springs and Konis) on Charlotte.

Having said that, when the panhard rod does come in, time is pretty tight for me between then and Christmas, I'll be in Melbourne from the 15th to the 24th so am having to organise all my Christmas stuff this weekend and next. I'm sure I can do the change over one night after work, I'll try my best.

I can say that they are awesome though, nice and firm, without being too hard, even just these instead of standard shockers improves handeling a heap, but it could also be the tires though, my only comparison is my old 100% stocker LX. Yom put the KYBs on a while ago before handing Charlotte onto littlebear then onto me so they have some k's on them but they are still in top condition.

If you are willing to go second hand and wait a couple weeks I'd say they are well worth it. But if smidge is right at $400, you may as well go brand new? I'm sure nsm will work you out.

Back