Removing Sheared Exhaust Stud

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Hi Guys,
Right, when I fitted my new manifold I sheared of one of the top exhaust studs :doh: (and no it was nowhere near the correct torque figure when it snapped).
What technique of removing it have most people found successful? And where do I get new studs from?
Cheers
Joe

Ive never broken one of those but ive broken other ones :laugh: easiest ive found (which translates to not having to buy anything) is to use a drill with a very small bit to give you a decent indent, then a philips screw driver...if youre lucky it'll come out. (could try tapping the driver handle as you try to undo)

Either that or after youve got the inital hole drilled, use a bigger bit and just start the drilling (giving you a lip of metal), stop then put it in reverse...for that to work you need the drill bit to lock up as it catches the previous half drilled section...which may shock it out, not good for the bit and more random results.

other option is to buy an easy out, as its designed for just that job. :)

best way i do is to drill it out and tap it then but a bolt in the hole instead of a stud and nut,

but i do it that way as i have the equipment to do so, ie taps and drills etc.

you could try using a stud extractor where you have to drill a hole down the centre of the stud and wind the extractor in to undo the stud

hmm, i've got tap and dies so thats not a problem. I've heard bad things about using 'easy-outs' as people often snap them aswell!

Here's the little ###### anyway: Photo003.jpg

mhmm, thinking about it, easyouts could workseeing as i was only doing it up, so it shoudn't be siezed....in theory!

i think its just inside but i cant quite tell as i've not had the manifold off since.

well if im totally honest i snapped one of mine months ago, just put loads of exhaust paset on it and its never leaked or owt, just couldnt be bothered to drill it out, it was going dark, wet and cold so just left it.

the best way to do this without damaging the threads is to use oxy-acetaline to heat around the stud, then use mole grips or pliers to grip the stud and wind it out, obviously a bit difficult if you dont have that equipment! either that or just drill the bolt right through and tap as said before or jus use a nut and bolt instead of a stud, we have to put up with a lot of studs snapping in our garage and these are the only two ways to do it really

well if im totally honest i snapped one of mine months ago, just put loads of exhaust paset on it and its never leaked or owt, just couldnt be bothered to drill it out, it was going dark, wet and cold so just left it.

Yer but mine is leaking unfortunately so i need to sort it.

the best way to do this without damaging the threads is to use oxy-acetaline to heat around the stud, then use mole grips or pliers to grip the stud and wind it out, obviously a bit difficult if you dont have that equipment! either that or just drill the bolt right through and tap as said before or jus use a nut and bolt instead of a stud, we have to put up with a lot of studs snapping in our garage and these are the only two ways to do it really

Only any good if theres any stud to get at!

MM

if it snapped when you were tightening it up, i think it,s gonna be stuck fast !.
you might end up drilling and tapping to the side of it, and slotting the manifold hole, and using a penny washer

personaly i would try to avoid tapping a new tread, you can end up with a pretty messed up hole with not-that-strong thread to hold the stud in, i would drill right down the centre (with a small bit to make a pilot hole, then bigger bit) then use a reverse tap to wind it back out, just be sure not to snap the reverse tap. (maybe a reverse tap and an 'easy out' are the same thing, anyway, its worked for me a few times).
if you do tap a new tread, and ###### up the tread so the stud spins, if you get a long bolt (as long as a stud), then stick the bolt in with lots of 'quick steel' then chop the head of the bolt off. not ideal, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back