remoulds

B

Ben

whats the deal with these. I need 2 new tyres on my focus n been getting stupid prices like £80 a tyre n then went to tyre spot today n they sed they had remoulds for £25 each. I was like hmm but have heard different reviews on them, the so far i have got that if i am not intending to do 100mph + then just to get the remoulds but whats everyones opinion?

Not for me!

:ghostface i personally wouldn't chance a remould. Yes they are supposed to be fine but when you think that they are the only thing attatching the car to the ground you have to ask yourself one question. Do you feel lucky? o_O . Out of curiosity what size are you after? :confused:

No,part worn tyres have been used on a vehicle and been replaced but are still legal and can be fitted to another. Usually reps cars or cars due for mot,getting ready for snow etc. Re-moulds are brand new tyres but are not usually of a good quality due to the way in which they are manufactured. I suppose technically speaking you could get a part worn remould! o_O I wouldn't recommend either if you can help it.

The thing about part worn tyres is why did the previous owner want rid of them? Yes you will be able to get some which are fine but there will also be some which have a problem. Finding which is which might not be so easy. Remoulds are brand new tyres. A mould is made upon where a set amount of tyres can be manufactured before that mould is no longer any good. remoulds are made after this. Usually not as good quality. If i had to choose between the two i would have a remould though. Although really i wouldn't have either. :upside:

cheap tyres are perhaps the most false ecomomy possible. Dont do it. Get something decent your life depends on it.

Remoulded Tyres

What is a remould tyre?

A remould tyre is made from an old tyre. Old tyres which are not sound should never be used as components for remould tyres. The essential building block for a remould tyre is a used tyre whose tread is worn-out but whose carcass (basic structure) is sound. Preparation for remoulding involves stripping away the tread of the worn-out tyre. The final part of the process moulds a new tread onto the old carcass using a new rubber compound.

What problems are there with remould tyres?

In the majority of cases remould tyres perform satisfactorily provided the manufacturer’s guidance about maximum vehicle loadings and maximum speeds is followed. Overloading, sustained high speeds, and under or over-inflation all contribute to increased tyre wear and/or premature failure.

taken from http://www.horsebox-rescue.co.uk/html/body_prp_tyre_tips.html

Personally i wudnt put remoulds onto my gokart never mind my car! I dont think they provide the level of safety a decent tyre would do! Plus they wear down very quickly!

Daz :alien:

I would never even consider remoulds. You save money, but at what cost? For reference Toyo T1-Rs aren't really that expensive nowadays, I got some 195/45/15 ones fitted for £49 a corner which isn't bad at all!

However, checking Blackcircles.com (where I got mine), they want £95.60 a corner fitted for your size. Is 205/40/17 a rare size or something? Or is this just the going rate for 17" tyres?

I probably haven't been much help after all that :rolleyes:

James :)

tyre spot had some falkens in for about £59 a corner i think so i think ill opt for them although my tares are just stupidlu expensive

you tried fox hunters big_ben. Think they do hankooks for £50-60 which is decent for a set of 205/40/17. I paid something like £55 for mine.

i got some falcon 512's (one website said they tested better than yoko's) off ebay. brand new £59 inc delivery on a 'buy it now'!!!

just as an update, i got two from Tyre spot today fitted for £115 so not too bad. Should have been £126 but one of my centre caps has split n they said if they took it off to balance the wheel it might not go back on so they didnt balance them. They are Falkens too, same that are on at the minute. I rang around abit and that fox hunters place are really cheap they have some good tyres at really low prices!

will still stress the bearings more than you should do.

Id never consider remoulds either. If you're life could be at risk, then the cheapest isnt the most sensible option! Its one of the disadvantages to owning larger wheels but one you'l have to live with.

went down to ATS n they checked the balancin thing with the wheels on the car n said they are spot on so am chuffed :D

if remoulds where consider dangerous do you think that they would be sold??
not that im sayin i would use remoulds, because i wouldnt but they wouldnt sell em if they where dangerous

You get what you pay for. Remolds may be ok for plodding along at 30mph in dry conditions on straight roads, but that's about it.

Although there are some rally tyres that are remolds. Think Colway do them (or did them) though I'm not sure how they perform.

Back