re-ground cams

ive had discussion about this with frank, and i know roughly the spec i want which is what frank uses... which i cant currently remember hehe...

however its the shims that are getting me.... as mine are a little out as it is... i know theres the method of adding another shim but how can this be done as theres only room for the one on top

i see humm thats a shame really as i have no real access to machinery which can do this unless a grinder would work but getting it perfect will be an issue.... but as said my engine needs to be properly shimmed anyway

fair enough have one at work so i can do that then i guess its so it sits in the bucket perfectly....

so say you have a 265 shim in the top

and you then take 265 off the cam you will then want to add that to the bottom using a shim

wheres the best place to go for shimming as ineed my engine done and i dont want to be buying shim after shim to get it correct

mine has both shims under the bucket now will, and i ground the bucket tops flat (it quietens the valvetrain bigtime)
and you,re best to shim yours up properly, then get a set of similar size shims, then get the same amount ground off the cam (so you,re back where you started)

Attachments

• SDC11738.JPG
    SDC11738.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 233
did you use a lathe to do tha frank? so i guess you had one of the shims with the chamfered edge and then on normal....

well scott if you could then i will have a few more to fiddle with and try and get it better as i know one has a tapp and it needed a bigish one

did you use a lathe to do tha frank? so i guess you had one of the shims with the chamfered edge and then on normal....

i ground off the lip around the edge will (offhand) then put the bucket into a drill fitting, and held it down on some emery while spinning :)

well scott if you could then i will have a few more to fiddle with and try and get it better as i know one has a tapp and it needed a bigish one

Sure i'll take them off next time im up there. PM me your address.

well i spoke to the technicion in the machine shop today and he said he will set me up on a lathe to get the lips taken off which is a

sounds good thank but not eactly smooth but i guess thats the cams or somthing...

but what ill do is ill get these buckets done next week then maybe pinch the bench grinder from work and shim it up properly to the night tight tolerences then get some cams done...

for the sake of having a car while my cams are gone would it be possible to use the 1ltr cams i have laying about getting dusty? just hope there not damaged from sitting about

it,ll be fine with the 1.0 cams in will, and some of the buckets have rings cut into the top under the shim fwn (those type are,nt suitable)

well i spoke to the technicion in the machine shop today and he said he will set me up on a lathe to get the lips taken off which is a

sounds good thank but not eactly smooth but i guess thats the cams or somthing...

but what ill do is ill get these buckets done next week then maybe pinch the bench grinder from work and shim it up properly to the night tight tolerences then get some cams done...

for the sake of having a car while my cams are gone would it be possible to use the 1ltr cams i have laying about getting dusty? just hope there not damaged from sitting about

basically the ones like yours? i think i have a set of them if not scott hold up on delivery i may need a couple!

frank sould you be able to give me an eg of how much of a chamfer required?

i see simply a little bit off the top edge (well either edge) hehe well i am going to check the buckets over tomorrow and see how they are....

there a fair bit of info here :)

well frank im sure you have tried plenty of different options on this.. but what would you suggest is the best cam grind to go for mate? baring in mind i will go for flat top pistons and then a few more littleish mods

is your autosprint guy any better now dude?

i see simply a little bit off the top edge (well either edge) hehe well i am going to check the buckets over tomorrow and see how they are....

there a fair bit of info here :)

well frank im sure you have tried plenty of different options on this.. but what would you suggest is the best cam grind to go for mate? baring in mind i will go for flat top pistons and then a few more littleish mods

is your autosprint guy any better now dude?

geoff was ok last time i spoke to him will (about 2 months ago) and the 260/10mm ones ftw :)

The cam i got from geoff was good, i done franks method with double underbucket shim and ground down buckets. Took a while to get the clearances perfect though

The cam i got from geoff was good, i done franks method with double underbucket shim and ground down buckets. Took a while to get the clearances perfect though

thats coool then how come its difficult? is it becuase it doesnt always fit in perfectly untill spressure has be exerted onto it?

and surely if the clearences are fully set and correct to start with having a 265 removed would mean ordering 16x265 shims correct? or not that simples?

thats coool then how come its difficult? is it becuase it doesnt always fit in perfectly untill spressure has be exerted onto it?

and surely if the clearences are fully set and correct to start with having a 265 removed would mean ordering 16x265 shims correct? or not that simples?

Just the amount of times i had to take out the cam to get the clearances to 0.20mm my cleareances were all off to begin with

sweet they will be done in a couple of weeks i just hope they wont get damaged in the chuck of the lathe :(

you would easily distort them in a chuck will fwn just slide it onto a broom handle and grind the lip off freehand ffs (to a slight chamfer)

Back