PistonHeads.com: Swindon Prepares to Axe Gatsos

Dear andy, Last year there were fewer deaths on British roads than at any time since 1928, this despite the continuing and rapid increase in the number of vehicle on our roads. While it would be disingenuous to suggest that this tremendous achievement is down purely to speed cameras, they have certainly played a significant part in reducing deaths and serious injuries. Speed kills and cameras slow people down. There are many ways that road safety can be improved in our Borough, and in the country as a whole, and I am always interested to look into new and innovated solutions where they have been proved to be effective. The key objective must always be protecting people's lives on our roads. My objection to the decision that the Conservatives intend to announce on 22nd October is that it is not based on facts and evidence; it is based on politics. There is evidence showing the speed cameras have reduced serious accidents, at the areas they have been introduced, by up to two thirds. Moreover, Department for Transport figures show that speed continues to be a contributory factor in more than one in four serious accidents involving those under 30. These two facts alone should be sufficient to maintain, as an absolute minimum, fixed camera sites at accident blackspots. Swindon Borough Council receives a grant from the Government to spend on road safety measures that more than covers the cost of the Safety Camera Partnership. It still leaves money to be used on alternative methods of accident reduction. Given all of the facts and information that I have seen I see the Safety Camera Partnership as good value for money. In terms of my comments regarding 'boy racers', these relate to a number of specific incidents that occurred while I have been a ward councillor. While I am more than aware that speed cameras will not prevent a person becoming a 'boy racer', but what the statistics I mentioned previously do show is that they do slow people down in areas where accidents have been a problem in the past. Perhaps the most remarkable statement in this entire debate came from Tory Transport spokesman, Peter Greenhalgh, when he described speeding fines as 'a blatant tax on the motorist'. People who break the law, get a fine. If you don't want a fine, don't break the law. I doubt that he would suggest that prison sentences are a tax on violent criminals, or ASBOs a tax on yobs. Breaking the speed limit is against the law and rightly brings with it punishment. This comment, to me, proves that this decision is politically motivated, and it is because of this that I remain against it. Thank you for contacting me with your concerns, Cllr. Derique Montaut Neil MackenziePolitical Assistant to the Labour GroupSwindon Borough Council ..

i sent an email to him and got this back :D

Back