Oil breather....

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
Are they worth it on a k10?? Have seen a few people with them on here and was wondering if it would be worth investing my pennies in one??

cheers,
sam

Oh and any recommendations for a make of one or just an ebay bargain??

Yes they are worth it as they basicly stop ur car breathing oil fumes!
im just going to purchase a cheapy one from ebay as its not filtering just stopping oil getting out ^^
Don't go to halfords though cheapest one there £9 about a fiver on eBay!

Lol...yeah halfords isnt that cheap compared to ebay, unless you know someone who works there and can get some thins on trade prices;)

But wont they increase the exhaust emissions??

not sure on the emissions but I can't see why it would? its just breathing straight to atmosphere as opposed to into the air box.

Ah ok.

Well i just thought that the original system was designed to re-use the fumes, thus reducing the exhaust emisions, as not all the fumes went out the exhaust, like they would do if i put on an oil breather. But i could be wrong....

EGR? Am I being stupid? Emmisions can't get into the rocker cover anyway they go out the exhaust valve. anyway if anything it will reduce emmisions cause it is venting in the engine bay.

ok, well ill get one anyway!! just wanted to see if it was worth it. Sounds like it will improve some circulation, as in not re-breathing the fumes.

CHEERS GUYS!!

It stops the air filter clogging up with Oil through the breather pipes by going in it's own filter. Some say the oil helps lubricate the carb, but i've got some cheap ebay one on mine anyway. My other one fell off on the way to JAE lol

I've never bought one myself, never had the need to. I suppose they are a good idea in a certain way, catching oil that has been moved out of the rocker cover and letting out pressure.
Which is why Nissan put the little Mesh Filter inside the Air-pan.
This does the same job as the Breather Filter which also has to be removed and cleaned in petrol when dirty.
As far as i can see all that these Breather Filters do is keep the large Filter in the Air-pan cleaner for longer and they also look nice....

I never bothered cleaning my breather filter, because not much goes in there. Take it off after a year and you'l see its probably got little in it.

ok then people!! thankyou for your help there!!

im looking on ebay atm but unsure on size.

anyone know what size i would need??

(so i dont have to go out in the cold to measure) :laugh:

right, after hunting round for a ruler, i went out and measured the rubber tube bit that connects the air pan to the place where the oil breathr will go. The measure ments are:

rubberpipe-oilbreatherbittoairpan.jpg

So im guessing that 14mm is the correct fitment??

I'm not sure, i just bought one at random! seems to fit ok - Besides, you use one of those screw clip things which hold it on.

I'm not sure, i just bought one at random! seems to fit ok - Besides, you use one of those screw clip things which hold it on.

Yeah me to, it was a bit small for both the k11 and k10 but squeezed on ok. Pretty sure it was the 14mm, 18mm looked too big.

the oil breether that connects the air pan to the rocker cover draws fresh air INTO the rocker cover from the airpan (via the white filter that stops dust or grit getting into your oil)

the white filters (and the air filter too) can get oiled up if the engine oil and oil filter doesnt (or hasnt in the past) get propper regular changes...note that most of the oil vapor fouling is done after the drive when the engine is stopped...vapour then exits backwards through the PCV filer (white felt thing)

Back